1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by aarons, Dec 5, 2003.

1. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have around £4-500 to spend on replacing jamo sw400.looking at either mj acoustics 100 or rel quake what does anybody think

2. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +602
    I am very happy with my Quake, although most on here seem to prefer the MJ Acoustic subs.

mij

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    They are both very good subs. The MJ is a little softer sounding and goes lower while the REL is tighter and punchier.

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Listen to both the Quake and Pro 100 - obviously don't expect them to go mega low as they're small boxes with 8" drivers so they will start to tail off below 30Hz or a tad lower.

If you are able to then I'd also recommend auditioning a Velodyne CHT10 (around £350) - this is a fair bit bigger and comes in black only - the pay off being that it will play lower.

I also wonder whether it might be worth spending just a little bit more than £500 as this then brings the REL Strata III, B&W ASW675 and Velodyne CHT15 into contention and these are a big step up from the Quakes and Pro 50/100's of this world.

Let your ears decide at the end of the day and, if at all possible, try to demo subs in your room as the room can make a huge difference.

Matt.

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    For £500 i would drive a hard bargain at the hifi shop, whichever one it is you go to, and push for the B&W ASW675. Thats what i did the other week and managed to get this great sub for £500 which i think is a bargain if you can get it for that.

6. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I may be selling my Rel Q200E in the New Year - I will know for def in the next fortnight. It is absolutetly mint condition - I would be looking for £450.
    Let me know if you are interested :D

Marck

7. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you tell us where you got this great price, or PM me if its confidential as I'm very interested in this sub too.

Thanks