new sub[yam sw800] and cross overs

J

j.fitz

hi ,just got a yamaha sw800 sub and am confused with the jargon relating to "crossovers " to match my main speakers[mission 783].do i have to repeat bass sections on a familiar dvd to go lower than my missions or just go by the volume setting on my sub.

regards jimmy fitzgerald.

What I did with my sub was to set the subs crossover to start around where my main speakers bass stopped.

The mains only went down to about 65hz IIRC, so I set the sub at about that point. You can adjust it either way to try to make the blending of bass smoother and more natural.

I also set up the sub to match the amps power. The sub is 100w, and the amp 65, so I set the sub to about 65 on the dial, and this seems about right.

You'll probably want to play a dvd or two just to see how each adjustment sounds, because no matter how much a dial setting may seem the best on paper, it's how it sounds in your room that counts. Use the dials to get it in the rough area where you think it should go, then adjust accordingly.

My mistake was to think full everything was the way to go, but the bass sounded wooly and overpowering. Turning the crossover down gave a tighter response, and turning the volume down to match the amp gave a better blend of sub to speakers.

This probabaly isn't the most technical method, but it worked for me in my lounge set-up, and I didn't have any sound meters to help me at the time. Try it and see how you get on.

Looks like an awesome sub by the way!! :)

Gary.

The first question is: how is the sub connected?

a) Line Level (RCA/phono cable from Subwoofer out at the amp):

No problem, set the x-over at the sub to MAX (maximum) and let the amp take care of the rest (i.e. the bass management in the amp).
This connection is recommended for AV use.

b) High/Speaker Level (from speaker terminals at the amp and speakers connected to the sub):

The sub's x-over will cut the low frequencies from the speakers. You can tweak around to your liking and depending on the bass extension of the main speakers. It may be 60Hz, it may be 100Hz.
Try and change the settings until you find a satisfactory result.

c) High/Speaker Level (from speaker terminals at the amp and speakers connected in parallel from the amp):

Basically here sub and speakers are wired in parallel and all bass is duplicated.
You need to find the point where the mains can't produce proper bass anymore and tune the sub's x-over to that point so it blends in nicely. May require some time and patience.

As for the power/volume issue: it does NOT matter how much power the sub has compared to the amp, it will not be louder, just more powerfull or dynamic.
To avoid it being too loud you need to balance the volume level of all channels using a SPL meter (and not your ears), this can make a huge difference and will hence give the optimum result - though some people prefer to alter the subs final level according to their liking (a bit more or less).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom