Question New sub woofer or full set of speakers

Doc2008

Hi folks, would really appreciate your help here.
I have a home cinema set up at home which is now a good few years old.
The amp is a Sony STR-DH520 and the speakers are a Tannoy SFX 5.1.
i live in a flat and have someone below me so i don't tend to blast films or music.
My problem is that recently, my sub woofer has been making popping type noises randomly. this will happen if the AV receiver is turned off and also if the speaker cable is removed.
I believe it is probably a capacitor issue. (means nothing to me, i googled it)

Anyway, i have been looking to buy a new sub woofer and was consider the Yamaha NSSW050 from Richer Sounds for £129.
Trust me if i lived in a detached house I would be buying a monster.
I then noticed they have a speaker package from Denon on sale for £149, Denon SYS2020.
Now seeing as how my tannoy speakers are probably well over 5 years old, is it worth just buying the Denon to replace everything or do i buy the Yamaha sub woofer and make do till something else gives then buy a better set. Would be getting it all for £20 ore than sub on its own but i have no idea of the quality of any of them.

Films and music are played at moderate volume but currently without the sub it is way too tinny for me.

Really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

purextc69

I would be considering if I was happy with the sound that the Tannoys produce... If thats a yes then I would just be adding a sub to fill out that low end a little. If they are showing their age and not sounding great themselves then maybe it is time to replace them.

I have no experience with smaller cheaper kits like this but it will be interesting to hear others opinions as I am looking for a system for my bedroom and cannot come to a decision to spend more money or go for a cheaper solution like this.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Personally I would spend a little more and get a BK Electronics Gemini II sub instead of the Yamaha. It will give a cleaner/better sound and last you for many years. You could then upgrade the other speakers later on.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Hi folks, would really appreciate your help here.
I have a home cinema set up at home which is now a good few years old.
The amp is a Sony STR-DH520 and the speakers are a Tannoy SFX 5.1.
i live in a flat and have someone below me so i don't tend to blast films or music.
My problem is that recently, my sub woofer has been making popping type noises randomly. this will happen if the AV receiver is turned off and also if the speaker cable is removed.
I believe it is probably a capacitor issue. (means nothing to me, i googled it)

Anyway, i have been looking to buy a new sub woofer and was consider the Yamaha NSSW050 from Richer Sounds for £129.
Trust me if i lived in a detached house I would be buying a monster.
I then noticed they have a speaker package from Denon on sale for £149, Denon SYS2020.
Now seeing as how my tannoy speakers are probably well over 5 years old, is it worth just buying the Denon to replace everything or do i buy the Yamaha sub woofer and make do till something else gives then buy a better set. Would be getting it all for £20 ore than sub on its own but i have no idea of the quality of any of them.

Films and music are played at moderate volume but currently without the sub it is way too tinny for me.

Really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thank you.
I bought the Denon SYS2020 quite recently to go with a new Yamaha amp. Many people on here advised me to go for 2 speakers and add the others as and when I could afford it but I wanted 5.1 straight away. I regret not listening to them as the sound from the Denon's isn't great. I changed the front speakers within a couple of days with some old Gale Gold monitors that I was using on an old stereo, which did help but the sub is seriously underpowered and I am now looking at the best way of upgrading all the speakers.

so to summarize, don't buy the Denon's. Go for a new sub and then changed the Tannoy's as and when you can afford it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom