1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New sub setup advice - your opinions?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stuart Wright, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    Following tons of feedback from audiophile customers in the States REL have got a new setup procedure via the main menu on their website.
    I was wondering what people think of this.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It doesn't make any reference to "Home Cinema" stating that "It is helpful to know that you will almost always connect the REL to the input on the rear panel labelled “High Level”.

Most of us connect via low level otherwise you lose the LFE feed.

Most of the article is still relevant and I will use the article as the basis for another "play" tonight.

One interesting suggestion is to try the sub (bearing in mind this is aimed at ST users) at a 90 degree angle to the wall.

This is OK for Jase and other single guys but my very tolerant wife would have a fit.

3. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Hi.

The sub's connected in parallel to your mains.

Steps 1, 2 & 3 are just phase and positioning, in this case corner loading.

Step 4 is how to set-up the REL crossover to blend perfectly with your mains.

The sub is also connected low level for the LFE.

The only problem I see is that with the sub connected in parallel, your mains will still be receiving a full range signal. If you have 'small' speakers (as most of us do) and watch at high levels, say 5dB to 10dB under ref. then the advantages gained by the 'small' setting will be lost, no?

Cheers
    Boris

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi Ramius

I´ve got my Rel connected Low Level (LFE) and High level in parallel with my mains, all speakers are set to small, bass to sub.

BUT, my amp, in Direct & Pure Direct modes, sends full range signals to the front mains, so I get the best of both worlds. I can also switch the sub off at low level via the amp to avoid bass doubling.

I dont listen at loud levels though, music normally around -30db.

Cheers

5. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you Jase, my setup is about the same as yours.

Regards

Eddie:)

6. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think it is a crude and arrogant description, with lines like
    Apart from the arrogance, I think the procedure is pretty helpful for other subs as well.

Also the following statement:
    surprises me, as I have always been taught that spikes COUPLE a speaker to the floor, not decouple.

I also have my doubts about having high and low level connections at the same time with the fronts set at large. This could overload some smaller speakers with loud bass signals. I think Jase has made a smart configuration, although I still prefer to have my speakers set at small with music, but this is dependant on many parameters.

I also don't see much use for a subwoofer on the center channel, but that's me. I think bass management should take care of that.