new sub recommendations for B&W 600 S2 series 7.1 or 7.2

mbj666

Standard Member
hi all,

after bit of advice/recommendations for a new subwoofer currently have a B&W CM10 sub

rest of speakers are 7 b&w 600 S2 series (non-anniversary ones) 603s fronts, 606 side/rear and HTM6 centre

never been a fan of B&W subs as always failed on me over the year (had 3 go now favourite was the big PVD1 which went really deep but blew up on me)

been looking at REL or maybe SVS, but not really sure and am wondering am i better to go with 2 subs or 1 better quality one?

appreciate any guidance to help with my short listing

thanks,

mat

Conrad

A few questions that might help with advice:

What size is your room (the whole room, not just the area you use for listening/watching)?
What sort of volume levels do you listen at? Do you have neighbours for example?
How many placement options do you have in your room if you were to look at duals?
What's your AVR/processor?
What's your budget?
Do you have any preference for ported vs sealed sub?

There - that should do :)

Based on the speakers that you have and the brands you've mentioned, I would guess that that monolith thx range would be a good option. They're about the best value around at the moment and have subs for all sized rooms and budgets, ranging from 10" all the way up to 16". They're ported though, which means they're quite big.

Failing that, the SVS range are popular and they have a sealed and ported version at each size and price point from the PB/SB 1000 and going up from there. The 3000 is a bit of a forum favourite, but is at the higher end of the range.

mbj666

Standard Member
A few questions that might help with advice:

What size is your room (the whole room, not just the area you use for listening/watching)?
What sort of volume levels do you listen at? Do you have neighbours for example?
How many placement options do you have in your room if you were to look at duals?
What's your AVR/processor?
What's your budget?
Do you have any preference for ported vs sealed sub?

There - that should do :)

Based on the speakers that you have and the brands you've mentioned, I would guess that that monolith thx range would be a good option. They're about the best value around at the moment and have subs for all sized rooms and budgets, ranging from 10" all the way up to 16". They're ported though, which means they're quite big.

Failing that, the SVS range are popular and they have a sealed and ported version at each size and price point from the PB/SB 1000 and going up from there. The 3000 is a bit of a forum favourite, but is at the higher end of the range.

some extra info to help with guidance

What size is your room (the whole room, not just the area you use for listening/watching)? 5.8M wide and 4.5M deep

What sort of volume levels do you listen at? Do you have neighbours for example? Listen at pretty loud volume as live in detached house so neighbours not an issue :)

How many placement options do you have in your room if you were to look at duals? only have space in front room corners Right side 450mm space max, left side not restricted size wise but sub would site 1m from wall in front of side board/cupboard

What's your AVR/processor? DENON AVC 110 anniversary edition receiver

What's your budget? £1300-2000

Do you have any preference for ported vs sealed sub? not sure don't really know difference

finally speaker wise would intend to upgrade them to either the KEF R range or the B&W 700 series ranger, so dont mind spending bit more on sub with that in mind

cheers,

mat

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Here you can read more about ported vs. sealed:

I`m going to list models within your budget so you see what is available.

The big question is that left side optimal spot for the sub cause Monoprice 15 THX offers best bang for buck easily at 1500£ and with your room size, detached house, high listening levels in mind it would be ideal candidate. Comparable models are priced; SVS PB4000 - 2600£ and Arendal 1723 2V - 2400£ so this is quite a no brainer. Sadly it won´t fit right side corner due to 470mm width. It`s rather massive box.

I found grade-2 SVS PC4000 cylinders from forum advertiser going cheap as new one is 2400£. Compared to PB3000 this has the 15hz extended mode for even deeper bass. This would fit in many spots. 1190mm High x 419mm Diameter

If you would lean toward ported duals then each can cost 1k£ max. Arendal 1961 1V is fine alternative with 39cm width which also looks nice and available in matte black and white!

If you would be wanting more compact sealed subwoofers, that would mean something like 2x SVS SB2000 Pro gloss black/white and black oak. Small discount should be possible with SVS products from forum advertisers. However i don´t believe these would "wow" you in similar way as the models mentioned earlier.

For one larger sealed subwoofer at 2k£ max (smaller than ported boxes) you would be looking these, but keep in mind you don´t get similar low end (deep bass) vs. the ported models if that matters.

Last edited:

mbj666

Standard Member

The big question is that left side optimal spot for the sub cause Monoprice 15 THX offers best bang for buck easily at 1500£ and with your room size, detached house, high listening levels in mind it would be ideal candidate. Comparable models are priced; SVS PB4000 - 2600£ and Arendal 1723 2V - 2400£ so this is quite a no brainer. Sadly it won´t fit right side corner due to 470mm width. It`s rather massive box.

I found grade-2 SVS PC4000 cylinders from forum advertiser going cheap as new one is 2400£. Compared to PB3000 this has the 15hz extended mode for even deeper bass. This would fit in many spots. 1190mm High x 419mm Diameter

If you would lean toward ported duals then each can cost 1k£ max. Arendal 1961 1V is fine alternative with 39cm width which also looks nice and available in matte black and white!

If you would be wanting more compact sealed subwoofers, that would mean something like 2x SVS SB2000 Pro gloss black/white and black oak. Small discount should be possible with SVS products from forum advertisers. However i don´t believe these would "wow" you in similar way as the models mentioned earlier.

For one larger sealed subwoofer at 2k£ max (smaller than ported boxes) you would be looking these, but keep in mind you don´t get similar low end (deep bass) vs. the ported models if that matters.

thx really helpful think ported would suit me better as would be purely home cinema work and looking for that deep bass response, would you recommend one better ported sub over the 2 smaller sealed units (thinking my space restrictions on left side of room) thx mat

mbj666

Standard Member

thanks for your advice and links decided to go with the grade2 PC4000 SVS sub as liked its ease of placement options and got another 10% via the site so well chuffed got it for just over 1500 can't wait till it arrives now :)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
thanks for your advice and links decided to go with the grade2 PC4000 SVS sub as liked its ease of placement options and got another 10% via the site so well chuffed got it for just over 1500 can't wait till it arrives now :)

Congrats! That is great sub and as you said it`s easy to move being fairly light and doesn´t take tons of floorspace! :) Also very important to have few options placement wise and this model allows it.

AVForums reviewed it 2018 and they were blown away:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom