New sub or DAC ?

makeitfit

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm keen to upgrade my system and I'm on a budget :/ £250
Should I buy a DAC or replace my sub ?
My existing sub is a few years old now and the auto start up doesn't work anymore. As a result I have to leave it on all the time and can hear a bit of hum now. It's a big old Wharfedale Topaz 12, still packs a clout mind ;)
OR should I be spending more wisely on a DAC ? I don't have one and have been reading up on here and think I need one !
If it's DAC what do you guys think of the Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus with bluetooth ?

It would be good if you could give us an overview of the whole system and how you use it, then we can come up with some suggestions of how you can use your budget to best effect.

Hi thanks for that , and yes it makes sense ;)
I have Monitor Audio CPW RS in wall speakers (front), Monitor Audio Br-lcr center and Wharfedale WH-2 rears. Yamaha RX-V377 AV amp. I have a squeezbox and stream most of music now via Qobuz and some from my CDs stored on my PC, very occasionally actually play real CDs now mainly for the laziness factor of picking and choosing at the drop of a hat where my fancy takes me. For that I've been using my Lenovo tablet as my UI via bluetooth .
That's the bones of it. I also use my old Rega from time to time which is going into an old Nad pre amp .
http://www.blu-ray.com/Wharfedale-WH-2/17145/#Reviews

What's lacking that's making you keen to upgrade?
Is it just music you want to improve or overall sound?

I guess overall sound but have to admit I don't really know :/
Kids have more or less left home now and I'm indulging myself again after twenty odd years of Aqua, Steps and Eminem ? The more I read the more I "think" I want/need a DAC :)

Steps!!! :eek::eek::D

I dont think a dac would have give much improvement. Reason being, the AV is entry level and while decent for films, may not be all that with music. And audio from a external dac will still be processed by the av.

A stereo amp will be much better for music, and Could be added to the setup while still having the AV for films.

However, much can be done once we know what it is to improve

Last edited:
I guess overall sound but have to admit I don't really know :/
Kids have more or less left home now and I'm indulging myself again after twenty odd years of Aqua, Steps and Eminem ? The more I read the more I "think" I want/need a DAC :)

If you want an audible difference go for a new subwoofer. Recommend using the old one as well.

You don't need a new dac imo.

Hmmm, second amp ;) and there's me trying to go all minimalist lol OK thanks guys. Any suggestions then for a new sub in my budget ? Cheers ;)

Hmmm, second amp ;) and there's me trying to go all minimalist lol OK thanks guys. Any suggestions then for a new sub in my budget ? Cheers ;)

I'd say build your own!

It's quite easy really once you have a design/driver/driver parameters. Lots of info in the subwoofer forum for DIY. Get b+q to do all the wood cutting. Easy peasy.

Good subwoofers are expensive really - but you can really reduce that cost by building your own - £250 should easily do it. And you can design it specifically for you room.

I'm a kitchen fitter, the last place I'd go is Bent & Queer lol
However a trip to the sub forum is good thinking as making my own is a corking idea. I've built most of the rest of my stuff at home , so a custom sub sounds ace ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom