New Sub or Additional Sub?

The Audyssey result is a good result. I just wondered what prompted you to set it to zero. Maybe it was down by a few db compared to the speakers.
It was about 4dB down on the others, I'll set it back to -6dB and see what difference it makes.

Have you tried putting it back in reference yet. Thats what i was recommended. Then try ready player one the bolders just give such a thump

I messaged arendal and they said set it manually with audyssey then put it back to reference it just gave it far more kick for movies
It’s potentially going to be way out of whack with the speakers if doing that. But obviously can be done for a preference thing.

In what way i have no where near the knowledge of you guys. From my 20yr old rel it sounds great. I get no localisation loads of thump throught the sofa

It was about 4dB down on the others, I'll set it back to -6dB and see what difference it makes.

It came back just where you want it! Most people run their sub 3-6db hotter so lowering it to -3db to 0db is likely where you feel it sounds best. Some want more some less.

Have you tried putting it back in reference yet. Thats what i was recommended. Then try ready player one the bolders just give such a thump

Yeah this sounds very odd thing to do cause it would be calibrated the correct way and then go change it to REF, doesn´t make sense.. o_O

God know im thinking mines all wrong. When i just went with audyssey it just didn't have enough power. Im probably wrong

God know im thinking mines all wrong. When i just went with audyssey it just didn't have enough power. Im probably wrong

Yes if you set it to 75db, but all the AUdussey gurus recommend setting it up to 78db give or take, even going over the green zone. Then you will get it back in the high negative trim and can tweak to your liking while being safe.

But arendal say reference for film when i messaged them . I dont know its all above my level of knowledge

But arendal say reference for film when i messaged them . I dont know its all above my level of knowledge
That’s a little odd as as it wouldn’t normally be used as a setting for movies to be turned on and off when required.

Its like having tone controls and whacking the Bass up to 11.

Once the calibration is done, try to measure the output of the speakers and the subwoofer/s if you can. Get them all to the same level and see (hear) how it sounds. If the bass sounds a bit light, increase it by 1db increments and listen again. Do this until you find a balance.

Last edited:
Levels Menu
  1. We recommend setting Ref. Level to on and let the AVR handle level adjustments.
  2. Next step is to set correct input gain. For normal modern AVR’s it will be -6dB (if you have 4V output) or -12dB (if you have 8V output). This setting will directly affect how loud the subwoofer plays at ref. level. For some customer running Audyssey it will typically indicate that the subwoofer level is too high if this setting is not adjusted as described

I’ve read back a little and I ‘think’ you had it set to Reference before running Audyssey but Audyssey told you the level was too high so you took it out of Reference and then run Audyssey again and all was ok. Then you switched it to Reference for watching movies but it wasn’t calibrated at that level. You may have introduced a 10db (guessing) boost. The reference setting isn’t a switch to turn on for movie watching and then turn off again.

Using a SPL meter can be a good guide for were the levels are so try to do this if you can. All speakers, including the sub, should be at the same level as a starting point. Then adjust the sub to suit afterwards.

Default settings are just that. They don’t know the circumstances of the room and certainly Reference Level defaults can often be too high for Audyssey calibration.

Levels Menu
  1. We recommend setting Ref. Level to on and let the AVR handle level adjustments.
  2. Next step is to set correct input gain. For normal modern AVR’s it will be -6dB (if you have 4V output) or -12dB (if you have 8V output). This setting will directly affect how loud the subwoofer plays at ref. level. For some customer running Audyssey it will typically indicate that the subwoofer level is too high if this setting is not adjusted as described
This is also what they recommended to me
, but I took a look at my amps manual and my output wasn’t 4V so left that gain at 0dB.

I haven’t put it back to ref and don’t think I will as when I tried that the sub didn’t sound as good to me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom