New Sub or Additional Sub?

sanj

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need some help deciding what subwoofer to purchase.
My current system is:

REL Q100E
Marantz SR7010
Pair of Kef Q Series Q5 (2001-06) at the front
Pair of Kef Q Series Q1 (2001-06) at the rear
Kef Q9C Centre
4xKef CI160QL Ceiling speakers for Atmos
JVC x7900

The sitting room setup is 8mx4m with a bay window at one end and a set of patio doors at the other end.
The audio kit is in a custom made oak unit in the bay and the REL sits inside the unit on the floor (unit is cut out so sub sits on the carpet) and the back of the oak unit is open.

I feel the need to upgrade and have about £1K to play with.
Do I buy a replacement sub, or an additional sub?
If so what do you guys recommend? Another Kef or something else?

Thanks,
Sanj

I went from a rel 201e to a arendal 1961 1S made a massive difference

I went from a rel q150e to a PB2000 pro, best upgrade ever!

Hi,

I need some help deciding what subwoofer to purchase.
My current system is:

REL Q100E
Marantz SR7010
Pair of Kef Q Series Q5 (2001-06) at the front
Pair of Kef Q Series Q1 (2001-06) at the rear
Kef Q9C Centre
4xKef CI160QL Ceiling speakers for Atmos
JVC x7900

The sitting room setup is 8mx4m with a bay window at one end and a set of patio doors at the other end.
The audio kit is in a custom made oak unit in the bay and the REL sits inside the unit on the floor (unit is cut out so sub sits on the carpet) and the back of the oak unit is open.

I feel the need to upgrade and have about £1K to play with.
Do I buy a replacement sub, or an additional sub?
If so what do you guys recommend? Another Kef or something else?

Thanks,
Sanj

Can you post pictures of the front room and if the new sub needs to go inside the unit what is the maximum dimensions then? If you don´t want to post pictures, do some quick drawing of roomplan where you have marked possible subwoofer placements etc.

There is many options within 1k£ just need to know if you have size requirements.

Can you post pictures of the front room and if the new sub needs to go inside the unit what is the maximum dimensions then? If you don´t want to post pictures, do some quick drawing of roomplan where you have marked possible subwoofer placements etc.

There is many options within 1k£ just need to know if you have size requirements.
Hi, the space inside the cabinet allows for a sub up to 46 cms wide and 50 cms tall. The depth to the bay wall inside the cabinet is 48 cm. The existing sub is about 40-42 cms in all dimensions. I've attached the current speaker config and speaker layout (distances to MLP) from the Marantz SR7010 and a pic of the interior of the oak unit (excuse the mess) for context. I'm not great at drawing stuff out, but hope this gives a good idea of my setup?

I've also been able to borrow a REL T7i with the wireless kit (to try different positions in the room) from a local hifi shop and am going through the setup videos today. Made the mistake of just replacing the existing sub with this T7i and watched Tenet last night, but had to switch the sub off as it was not setup properly at all! Even though I rushed it, it definitely showed me how much the technology has improved since I bought the Q100E and will definitely be replacing it with one of your suggestions or the T7i if you think it is a good one to settle on?

Thanks.

Attachments

• spkrdistance.jpg
    spkrdistance.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 98
  • spkrlayout.jpg
    spkrlayout.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 98
  • unitcontent.jpg
    unitcontent.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 94
Hi, the space inside the cabinet allows for a sub up to 46 cms wide and 50 cms tall. The depth to the bay wall inside the cabinet is 48 cm. The existing sub is about 40-42 cms in all dimensions. I've attached the current speaker config and speaker layout (distances to MLP) from the Marantz SR7010 and a pic of the interior of the oak unit (excuse the mess) for context. I'm not great at drawing stuff out, but hope this gives a good idea of my setup?

I've also been able to borrow a REL T7i with the wireless kit (to try different positions in the room) from a local hifi shop and am going through the setup videos today. Made the mistake of just replacing the existing sub with this T7i and watched Tenet last night, but had to switch the sub off as it was not setup properly at all! Even though I rushed it, it definitely showed me how much the technology has improved since I bought the Q100E and will definitely be replacing it with one of your suggestions or the T7i if you think it is a good one to settle on?

Thanks.

Don´t change the subwoofer distance figure, there is reason why it shows being further away. So it´s correct if you refered to that it isn`t setup properly and have just run Audussey!

You have decent size room at 32sqm. I think most people would consider vented models with larger cabinet, but if it needs to go inside that cabinet then it´s not going to work. Using wireless kit and placing the sub in front corner would open up more options like SVS PB2000 and PC2000 Pro. Also Arendal 1961 1V. Even one BK Monolith Plus (580£) would be huge step up from your REL.

No doubt the REL T7i sounds great, but it`s also from their T-range which is more suited for hifi systems. Small cabinet with nice wife friendly finish. There is certainly better performing models for that kind of price and you were looking sub for movie system. From REL HT1205 would be step up for 599£ (ex-demo): REL HT1205 SUB BLACK

If you are going to place the sub inside cab then SVS SB2000 Pro, SB3000 although the latter is out of your budget unless you find used unit. Arendal 1961 1S would fit also, turned so that the depth becomes width as they have side firing drivers so you would make it FF. 1723 1S would be 45cm depth so 46cm being limit for width it doesn`t leave enough for wires as they would be on side then. 1S below:

How good that spot is then inside unit?! For decent size room of yours i think most people would want to consider corner loading small sealed subwoofer. But if you can consider having the sub in front corner then i would rather look in to those larger ported models. Arendal 1V especially around ~950£ ticks many boxes. Good looking with black/white finish, good performance with plenty of output all the way to ~15hz, option to run vented/sealed, great support/service with long warranty. 1V below:

PS. The center channel location is horrible near the floor! 😭

Don´t change the subwoofer distance figure, there is reason why it shows being further away. So it´s correct if you refered to that it isn`t setup properly and have just run Audussey!

You have decent size room at 32sqm. I think most people would consider vented models with larger cabinet, but if it needs to go inside that cabinet then it´s not going to work. Using wireless kit and placing the sub in front corner would open up more options like SVS PB2000 and PC2000 Pro. Also Arendal 1961 1V. Even one BK Monolith Plus (580£) would be huge step up from your REL.

No doubt the REL T7i sounds great, but it`s also from their T-range which is more suited for hifi systems. Small cabinet with nice wife friendly finish. There is certainly better performing models for that kind of price and you were looking sub for movie system. From REL HT1205 would be step up for 599£ (ex-demo): REL HT1205 SUB BLACK

If you are going to place the sub inside cab then SVS SB2000 Pro, SB3000 although the latter is out of your budget unless you find used unit. Arendal 1961 1S would fit also, turned so that the depth becomes width as they have side firing drivers so you would make it FF. 1723 1S would be 45cm depth so 46cm being limit for width it doesn`t leave enough for wires as they would be on side then. 1S below:

How good that spot is then inside unit?! For decent size room of yours i think most people would want to consider corner loading small sealed subwoofer. But if you can consider having the sub in front corner then i would rather look in to those larger ported models. Arendal 1V especially around ~950£ ticks many boxes. Good looking with black/white finish, good performance with plenty of output all the way to ~15hz, option to run vented/sealed, great support/service with long warranty. 1V below:

PS. The center channel location is horrible near the floor! 😭

I hadn't re-run audyssey when I replaced one sub with the other. I need to do that I think to ensure proper setup of T7i. Also hadn't really changed any of the settings on the sub itself.

I would ideally like to place the new sub inside the cabinet. I'll try your suggestion of using the wireless kit and trying the T7i around the room, re-running audyssey each time.

I have the possibility of trying the HT1205 out as well so that maybe an option next Saturday. I like the look of the Arendal 1V too, but need to get an idea of where in the room it would go.

Is it possible that the new Sub would "overpower" the other components of my system or with proper setup I should be ok?

I know the centre channel is close to the floor, but haven't really got a choice to amend that. Plus I've actually moved the centre in the past to just below the TV and it hasn't really made any noticeable difference to my ears (could be my ears that are defective :) )

Thanks for all your advice.

I put the Arendal 1961 1s in over the 201e which i had for 20yrs and made a massive amount of difference compared to the 20yr old sub. Things have definitely moved on. I would try other placements mine is in the corner next to tv unit. Its hard to have great kit but not wanting it on show

I hadn't re-run audyssey when I replaced one sub with the other. I need to do that I think to ensure proper setup of T7i. Also hadn't really changed any of the settings on the sub itself.

I would ideally like to place the new sub inside the cabinet. I'll try your suggestion of using the wireless kit and trying the T7i around the room, re-running audyssey each time.

I have the possibility of trying the HT1205 out as well so that maybe an option next Saturday. I like the look of the Arendal 1V too, but need to get an idea of where in the room it would go.

Is it possible that the new Sub would "overpower" the other components of my system or with proper setup I should be ok?

I know the centre channel is close to the floor, but haven't really got a choice to amend that. Plus I've actually moved the centre in the past to just below the TV and it hasn't really made any noticeable difference to my ears (could be my ears that are defective :) )

Thanks for all your advice.

No it won´t overpower, you have Audussey on board with the better XT32 so you should get it dialed nicely! The 1V would be good choice if you got space at the front wall / corner. Arendal, REL and most manufacturers recommend front corner, but 1/4 and 1/3 front wall width are typical also. If you run Audussey again, do the 3mic positions so it´s fast to run. I would put the subwoofer around 77db via on-screen when it asks you to match it to speakers.

Here is pictures of large 1V and small 1S and the 2nd picture has black 1V:

sub1s-1v-jpg.1224067

img-20191015-wa0000-1-jpg.1208022

1V video review:

No it won´t overpower, you have Audussey on board with the better XT32 so you should get it dialed nicely! The 1V would be good choice if you got space at the front wall / corner. Arendal, REL and most manufacturers recommend front corner, but 1/4 and 1/3 front wall width are typical also. If you run Audussey again, do the 3mic positions so it´s fast to run. I would put the subwoofer around 77db via on-screen when it asks you to match it to speakers.

Here is pictures of large 1V and small 1S and the 2nd picture has black 1V:

sub1s-1v-jpg.1224067

img-20191015-wa0000-1-jpg.1208022

1V video review:

I'll take your advice and run Audussey again in the 3 mic position. The 1V does look amazing and I loved the review. Going to have to do my research and sort out position in the room.

I'll take your advice and run Audussey again in the 3 mic position. The 1V does look amazing and I loved the review. Going to have to do my research and sort out position in the room.
Having run Audyssey again the REL T7i sounds so much better than my old Q100E! Spider-man: Into the spider-verse was wonderful to watch/listen to. I'm a bit confused on the cabling side of things as REL say to connect both the High level input and the low .1/LFE input ()

So in the amp should I be setting the subwoofer mode to just LFE or LFE+main?

With av-receiver and movie use just stick with the normal connection (LFE), don´t worry about high level connection!

Subwoofer mode set to LFE! And LPF for LFE 120hz.

With av-receiver and movie use just stick with the normal connection (LFE), don´t worry about high level connection!

Thanks for the prompt response! :)

Followed your advice and even the old REL Q100E is sounding leagues better than it used to! Thanks once again. Now to try both in use at the same time.

Sell the Rel and save up for a PSA S1512 from @Rickyj at Kalibrate

For pure performance the PSA range cannot be beaten, Ricky will look after you too with his excellent service.

There is a sb2000 in gloss on ebay £775

If it´s the "old" model, then you can get it 705£ at AVO new refurb. But for @sanj 8m x 4m HT room i would look the best vented model he can afford if the size isn`t issue. That would mean SVS PB2000 Pro or PC2000 Pro and Arendal 1961 1V. All these can be driven as sealed too, but i doubt there would be any need for that after hearing one without bungs.

@sanj which way are you leaning?

If it´s the "old" model, then you can get it 705£ at AVO new refurb. But for @sanj 8m x 4m HT room i would look the best vented model he can afford if the size isn`t issue. That would mean SVS PB2000 Pro or PC2000 Pro and Arendal 1961 1V. All these can be driven as sealed too, but i doubt there would be any need for that after hearing one without bungs.

@sanj which way are you leaning?
I have read a lot about the arendals and love the look and reviews. The restocking fee if the 1961 1S doesn't work out is a bit of a pill to swallow. I will be trying out the KEF HT1205 tomorrow hopefully, but am mindful it isn't the best solution. Ideally I do want to keep the replacement sub inside the unit. I've even been looking at the 1961 centre as well as am in the market for a new one too.

Just wondering about putting in the arendal 1S side on in my cabinet so the speaker becomes FF as suggested by @Gasp3621, with cables plugged in what sort of width measurement would I be looking at? I know that it is 41.5cm without cabling and I have 46-47cm space available.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom