New Sub or Additional Sub?

sanj

So I’ve had an update on my order and my Sub 1V is now delayed and won’t be received by Arendal into Rotterdam until the 10th of June. Also they’ve got no idea when the 1723 1S and surrounds will be in at all. I’ve been offered some recompense, but now wondering what to do.

If I cancel the order what should I get instead for roughly the same Money?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So I’ve had an update on my order and my Sub 1V is now delayed and won’t be received by Arendal into Rotterdam until the 10th of June. Also they’ve got no idea when the 1723 1S and surrounds will be in at all. I’ve been offered some recompense, but now wondering what to do.

If I cancel the order what should I get instead for roughly the same Money?

Why cancel? 10.6 is not far away...

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
It's more the fact they don't know when the other speakers are going to land, rather than the sub.

Ah so you have Tower S, Centre S and Surround S coming. Stick with the 1V, not the 1S you mentioned.. It sucks to wait, but this is long term purchase so put your mind in to other things for while. Good things comes for those who wait, as the saying goes.. ;)

sanj

Ah so you have Tower S, Centre S and Surround S coming. Stick with the 1V, not the 1S you mentioned.. It sucks to wait, but this is long term purchase so put your mind in to other things for while. Good things comes for those who wait, as the saying goes.. ;)
Very true, just getting impatient. Heard from them today and it looks like the towers are coming into Rotterdam on the 7th of July. Now do I get them delivered together or get the surrounds and sub delivered first (Not got the centre on order as I’m going to give phantom centre a go on their recommendation).

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Very true, just getting impatient. Heard from them today and it looks like the towers are coming into Rotterdam on the 7th of July. Now do I get them delivered together or get the surrounds and sub delivered first (Not got the centre on order as I’m going to give phantom centre a go on their recommendation).

4-5weeks not bad, some members here waited months subwoofer from US. As you have system already there just hang on! You hopefully get the sub soon so something to work with for starter.

sanj

Look what has arrived. Still waiting for the right surround to show up. The towers are delayed until August now, but at least I have these to get on with. Felt sorry for the delivery guy who brought the sub up 21 steps to the front door on a trolley.
PXL_20210706_151547732.jpg

sanj

The quality, fit and finish on the 1V is amazing. The surround finish is lovely too. Not even turned any of it on and am impressed. Even though I knew the sub was going to be big, I still didn't appreciate how big it is. Will possibly have to move it to the other side of the TV to get it away from the door.
PXL_20210708_213315191.jpg
PXL_20210708_213223918.jpg
PXL_20210708_213135868.jpg
PXL_20210708_213057650.jpg
PXL_20210708_213033173.jpg

sanj

So I've run audyssey. Set all speakers to small, sub level to 0db in the levels menu, crossover to 80Hz for all speakers, sub mode to LFE and LPF for LFE to 120Hz. In the marantz audio menu I've adjusted the Subwoofer level +4.5dB.

On the Sub side Arendal recommended the following and I've followed it: "
Here are the shortcuts:
  1. Levels Menu
    1. We recommend setting Ref. Level to on and let the AVR handle level adjustments.
    2. Next step is to set correct input gain. For normal modern AVR’s it will be -6dB
  2. Crossover Menu
    1. We recommend setting LPF Bypass on and do crossover settings from the AVR."
Ive just played into the spider verse and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but the sub isn't sounding as amazing as I expected it would.

What am I doing wrong, or do I just need to let it breathe as I've only just got it?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So I've run audyssey. Set all speakers to small, sub level to 0db in the levels menu, crossover to 80Hz for all speakers, sub mode to LFE and LPF for LFE to 120Hz. In the marantz audio menu I've adjusted the Subwoofer level +4.5dB.

On the Sub side Arendal recommended the following and I've followed it: "
Here are the shortcuts:
  1. Levels Menu
    1. We recommend setting Ref. Level to on and let the AVR handle level adjustments.
    2. Next step is to set correct input gain. For normal modern AVR’s it will be -6dB
  2. Crossover Menu
    1. We recommend setting LPF Bypass on and do crossover settings from the AVR."
Ive just played into the spider verse and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but the sub isn't sounding as amazing as I expected it would.

What am I doing wrong, or do I just need to let it breathe as I've only just got it?

What reading you got for the subwoofer during the Audussey? You have older receiver, but still XT32 so was there setup where it asks you to turn the gain up with reading to match speakers? Typically you would set it higher around 78db and proceed even if it says it´s too high. To get there i think you need to set Ref Level Off and there is then some manual gain change in the Arendal sub menu.

sanj

What reading you got for the subwoofer during the Audussey? You have older receiver, but still XT32 so was there setup where it asks you to turn the gain up with reading to match speakers? Typically you would set it higher around 78db and proceed even if it says it´s too high. To get there i think you need to set Ref Level Off and there is then some manual gain change in the Arendal sub menu.
Hi Gasp, I got +0.5dB for the sub during setup and when i switch off ref level then I get master level increments in 0.5dB steps so will look at that.

One thing I did do is in the crossover menu where I set lpf bypass to on I also set the eq mode to EQ 1 Vented and that has made the sub come alive now but not sure why that is the case as LPF Bypass is set to On?

The sub now sounds good and spiderman sounds amazing 😊

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi Gasp, I got +0.5dB for the sub during setup and when i switch off ref level then I get master level increments in 0.5dB steps so will look at that.

One thing I did do is in the crossover menu where I set lpf bypass to on I also set the eq mode to EQ 1 Vented and that has made the sub come alive now but not sure why that is the case as LPF Bypass is set to On?

The sub now sounds good and spiderman sounds amazing 😊

The gain is too low if the "subwoofer level" Audussey results came back +0,5db.

I also didn´t mention this, rather the on-screen setup phase with Audussey where it has reading and it asks you to turn the gain of subwoofer (knob) to match speakers at 75db or so. Then you would get roughly 78db reading on-screen. Your old Marantz doesn´t have this?

sanj

The gain is too low if the "subwoofer level" Audussey results came back +0,5db.

I also didn´t mention this, rather the on-screen setup phase with Audussey where it has reading and it asks you to turn the gain of subwoofer (knob) to match speakers at 75db or so. Then you would get roughly 78db reading on-screen. Your old Marantz doesn´t have this?
The sub sounds good, but you are right in that it doesn't sound brilliant. With my old REL I could turn it to 78dB or so using the dials but can't find it for this Sub. The marantz does have the level check but I can't find a way to increase the volume on the sub?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The sub sounds good, but you are right in that it doesn't sound brilliant. With my old REL I could turn it to 78dB or so using the dials but can't find it for this Sub. The marantz does have the level check but I can't find a way to increase the volume on the sub?

It is there, but you have to turn the Ref Level Off first. Then you should find it.

Just run 3mic position Audussey if you find the level gain and get it to 78db.

Edit. @martin 39 can you check where it is under the menu?

martin 39

On my 1961 1S i had similar problems to start. Im sure i took it oyt of reference level and there is a manual level you can adjust on the digital back plate.
I ran audyssey and set the the sub so it was just in the green nearly going out the green into red. I then ran audyssey and when finished i put the sub back into reference and not touched it since. Hope this helps in some way

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
On my 1961 1S i had similar problems to start. Im sure i took it oyt of reference level and there is a manual level you can adjust on the digital back plate.
I ran audyssey and set the the sub so it was just in the green nearly going out the green into red. I then ran audyssey and when finished i put the sub back into reference and not touched it since. Hope this helps in some way

Why you put it back to reference? It should not be "on" if you don´t get the gain high enough.

martin 39

I messaged arendal and they said set it manually with audyssey then put it back to reference it just gave it far more kick for movies

sanj

Thanks for this both! I will take a look and adjust accordingly. I do wonder if i should remove the input gain setting of -6dB that Arendal recommended as I think the output from my amp is not 4V? Will give it a go in a bit once I have the room back from the family.

sanj

Thanks for this both! I will take a look and adjust accordingly. I do wonder if i should remove the input gain setting of -6dB that Arendal recommended as I think the output from my amp is not 4V? Will give it a go in a bit once I have the room back from the family.
So I've redone audyssey and this time removed ref level and the gain setting of -6dB on the sub and adjusted to +1.5dB during the test tone to get it to roughly 78-80dB. After 3-mic setup the amp was reporting -6.5dB for some reason so I set that to zero too. Now the sub is far far better and is pressurisng the room really well.

Once again, thanks for all of your help @martin 39 and @Gasp3621. Next steps for me are to try the sub out in different positions once the other surround arrives as DHL have held onto it for a few days for some reason.

DodgeTheViper

The Audyssey result is a good result. I just wondered what prompted you to set it to zero. Maybe it was down by a few db compared to the speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar