New Sub or Additional Sub?

Jester1066

Sounds like you have approval to get a projector and screen. Thoroughly recommend X7900 if you can find one second hand.
Cheers buddy....

My last upgrade (circa 1K), cost me the "addition" of a similarly priced puppy (OH loves dogs). So who knows what a X7900 (even 2nd hand) will "additionally" cost! 😂😂

sanj

What ever you can do to get the angles more similar with both surrounds, it looks odd how they are now. The Surround S of both ranges can be wall mounted, 1961 has keyholes i think so one big screw or two.

Did Arendal recommend 1961 1V for your room after you talked with them?
So I had an email exchange with Arendal and got the following back:

"Yes, the 1723 S series would be a good upgrade for your setup! You can also mix our series: Can I mix 1723, 1723 S and 1961 in the same setup?

Since the center speaker is placed down at the floor, perhaps you can try out phantom centre? I believe the three listening positions in the sofa will be good anyway. I would have tried this first.

As surround speakers we usually recommend to go for our TriAxial speakers, like the 1723 Surround S, as this gives a wider soundstage which give a better experience. Even if they are to be placed on your stands this will be better than the 1723 Bookshelf S at that close distance.

The 1723 Sub1V is a rather big subwoofer! Perhaps you can try to place it behind you? The smaller 1961 Sub1V is a good subwoofer too, but the subwoofers have the driver on the right side (seen from the front) and the port under the amp plate on the back. We usually recommend a minimum distance 8-10 centimeters to the walls from the driver and port. Placement in the cabinet is not recommended.

The color of the 1723 and 1961 series are similar RAL color codes but the structure of the surface on the 1961 series are a bit rougher than the 1723 series. This is not visible from a distance.

Unfortunately we have a large amount of backorders for the 1723 Tower S. First come first serve, so I would strongly recommend not waiting to add an order. At the time being, it looks like the first available speakers are available end of May, but the slots are filling up by the day.
"

Arendal mis-understood the fact that I'm not bothered about putting the sub in the cabinet after discussion with you @Gasp3621. I asked about the colour difference between the two series, which I had read about on their website but it's interesting about the texture difference, hence I thought I'd mention it here.

I then asked:
"If I place the 1961sub1v to the left of the cabinet next to the tower and not in the cabinet would that be better than the 1723 1v behind the listening position?

How reflective are the gloss black towers?
Wondering whether to get those as you have them in stock so I wouldn't need to wait."

Got the following back (very promptly):
"Yes, it is often easier to integrate the subwoofer when placed next to the main speakers.. the 1961 Sub 1V is a very good subwoofer! In fact I use the 1961 Sub1V myself and I have the big 1723 Towers!

Well the Black gloss is what we normally refer to as "Piano gloss" so they are quite reflective."

So that's 1723S towers and 1723S surrounds, (or 1961 surrounds equivalent if I want to save some money), sorted, whether I wait for satin black, or go for gloss and risk reflection from the projector.

Now I have a subwoofer choice to make: 1961 1V in the optimal front listening position, or 1723 1V in the sub-optimal back corner, or behind sofa listening position near the right hand rear?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Tough call with the sub cause if you get poor response at the side / behind couch and/or locating annoyingly then there isn`t much to do as you can`t fit it at front. So perhaps playing safe with 1961 1V at the front left. Then you still can add second later to rear right (diagonally opposite). I don´t think you have the option for dual subwoofers with 1723 1V due to size.

Check below site scroll down you see the full fat 1723 towers in gloss black. 🤤

sanj

Just a thought did you ask if they had any returns that way you may not need to wait.
Hi Martin, they do have returns available at a 10% discount and the issue with them is the roughness when you touch the speakers as mentioned on the arendal speaker thread. I'm not sure about going that route even with the full warranty on offer.

sanj

Tough call with the sub cause if you get poor response at the side / behind couch and/or locating annoyingly then there isn`t much to do as you can`t fit it at front. So perhaps playing safe with 1961 1V at the front left. Then you still can add second later to rear right (diagonally opposite). I don´t think you have the option for dual subwoofers with 1723 1V due to size.

Check below site scroll down you see the full fat 1723 towers in gloss black. 🤤
So Arendal have said that I can run the 1723 1V without the feet as we are on carpet. That means a height of 62.5cm so I have 1cm to deal with, I think I'm going to go for it anyway and risk it. I did ask about going the 1723 1S route vs 1961 1V, but Arendal don't recommend that for my majority movie use as "you will probably miss a bit output below 30hz going for the closed 1723 Sub1S" Saying that they did say that the 1723Sub1S sounds better for music than the 1961Sub1V.

Now, do I wait for Satin or go for Gloss? That ambassador's cinema room was amazing, but I did think that the shine off the subs and centre would be off putting whilst watching movies. Plus the family all prefer the Satin finish.

Decisions, decisions...

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So Arendal have said that I can run the 1723 1V without the feet as we are on carpet. That means a height of 62.5cm so I have 1cm to deal with, I think I'm going to go for it anyway and risk it. I did ask about going the 1723 1S route vs 1961 1V, but Arendal don't recommend that for my majority movie use as "you will probably miss a bit output below 30hz going for the closed 1723 Sub1S" Saying that they did say that the 1723Sub1S sounds better for music than the 1961Sub1V.

Now, do I wait for Satin or go for Gloss? That ambassador's cinema room was amazing, but I did think that the shine off the subs and centre would be off putting whilst watching movies. Plus the family all prefer the Satin finish.

Decisions, decisions...

That´s great! 1723 1V then of course and as we already saw with your testing the sealed woofers just didn´t cut it there. You can still run the 1V sealed for music though, but i think it´s just what you need for movies to fill that space and give extra impact.

I didn´t have issues with white gloss back in the days with tv. I have had some gloss black subwoofer which was dust magnet, so you need to clean it often but it looks more expensive and nicer for sure. Tricky call as always with the finish, you need to be 100% sure so no buyers remorse later. The waiting part sucks though.

sanj

That´s great! 1723 1V then of course and as we already saw with your testing the sealed woofers just didn´t cut it there. You can still run the 1V sealed for music though, but i think it´s just what you need for movies to fill that space and give extra impact.

I didn´t have issues with white gloss back in the days with tv. I have had some gloss black subwoofer which was dust magnet, so you need to clean it often but it looks more expensive and nicer for sure. Tricky call as always with the finish, you need to be 100% sure so no buyers remorse later. The waiting part sucks though.
Looks like it is going to be a satin white purchase of the Arendals in the end so will have to wait until end of May. Will make the purchase today.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Looks like it is going to be a satin white purchase of the Arendals in the end so will have to wait until end of May. Will make the purchase today.

Nice! You do remember they don´t have white front masks which is bit shame, but may not bother you. The most important thing is you are 100% sure on the finish, cause i feel otherwise one can`t be fully satisfied with the purchase. Some cases it can come haunt you.

Here is white Arendals (full size):

sanj

Nice! You do remember they don´t have white front masks which is bit shame, but may not bother you. The most important thing is you are 100% sure on the finish, cause i feel otherwise one can`t be fully satisfied with the purchase. Some cases it can come haunt you.

Here is white Arendals (full size):

Yeah I know they are black front masks which is fine by me. Like the ambassador setups and am happy with it. One last question I have is should I go for dual 1961v subs rather than a single 1723 1v? I can fit dual 1961 1v at the front and we are about to get a kitten soon and am concerned about the comments regarding the soft nature of the 1723 sub material as mentioned on the other speakers forum. What do you reckon?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yeah I know they are black front masks which is fine by me. Like the ambassador setups and am happy with it. One last question I have is should I go for dual 1961v subs rather than a single 1723 1v? I can fit dual 1961 1v at the front and we are about to get a kitten soon and am concerned about the comments regarding the soft nature of the 1723 sub material as mentioned on the other speakers forum. What do you reckon?

I fear the sharp nails will do damage to both subs top if the cat is getting wild when it`s young. I would put something to keep them save on the top or something to keep the cat away from them (is there something they scare?). You can make new thread for it as i´m fairly sure there is many sub & cat owners here. 😄

For a long term purchase there is this mantra what many experienced persons says; buy the best woofer you can afford now and add second later in future. If you get dual 1961 1V now you are likely very happy for X time, but you keep looking the 1723 1V then as upgrade. You can´t really go to 2V cause it´s too large so the end of road with Arendal stops with 1723 1V. I would start with one and see how you get on. I would certainly have some good plan and do little research where the 2nd sub would offer the benefits you buy it for in first place, to smoothen the response. There is program which you can use if you have square room to learn is there big dips/nulls and then that 2nd sub may become god send but you would have to be willing to put it exactly in the spot it needs to go, not where wife thinks it looks best/fits. So will you end up with one or two subs i still think the 1723 1V is the ideal choice for long term. You know you got the best you could fit in that front wall. Arendal has also said the 1723 is their flagship product and the bass quality is step up from 1961, not just the performance which there is more of course due to extra cab size / more power / larger driver moves more air. I think the cab/driver has 10year warranty also which is longer than for 1961. Your choice of course, just my opinion. :)

sanj

I fear the sharp nails will do damage to both subs top if the cat is getting wild when it`s young. I would put something to keep them save on the top or something to keep the cat away from them (is there something they scare?). You can make new thread for it as i´m fairly sure there is many sub & cat owners here. 😄

For a long term purchase there is this mantra what many experienced persons says; buy the best woofer you can afford now and add second later in future. If you get dual 1961 1V now you are likely very happy for X time, but you keep looking the 1723 1V then as upgrade. You can´t really go to 2V cause it´s too large so the end of road with Arendal stops with 1723 1V. I would start with one and see how you get on. I would certainly have some good plan and do little research where the 2nd sub would offer the benefits you buy it for in first place, to smoothen the response. There is program which you can use if you have square room to learn is there big dips/nulls and then that 2nd sub may become god send but you would have to be willing to put it exactly in the spot it needs to go, not where wife thinks it looks best/fits. So will you end up with one or two subs i still think the 1723 1V is the ideal choice for long term. You know you got the best you could fit in that front wall. Arendal has also said the 1723 is their flagship product and the bass quality is step up from 1961, not just the performance which there is more of course due to extra cab size / more power / larger driver moves more air. I think the cab/driver has 10year warranty also which is longer than for 1961. Your choice of course, just my opinion. :)
Thanks gasp, there’s a product called feliway that a friend has just suggested, will use that. 1723S 1V is what I will order, not going to be able to get two of those that’s for sure! Will have one last conversation to ensure WAF is at maximum in terms of colour/finish and get it done tonight.

Conrad

On the sub topic, I agree with Gasp, get the best you can now and add more later.

On the cat topic, feliway relaxes cats rather than stops them scratching. You can get stuff called sticky paws which is like double sided tape and stops them touching/scratching things. It can leave a residue but that comes off with acetone or alcohol. Just make sure you have plenty of other places for them to scratch and encourage them to use them. Our cat only ever scratches on the couch when his scratching posts are moved.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks gasp, there’s a product called feliway that a friend has just suggested, will use that. 1723S 1V is what I will order, not going to be able to get two of those that’s for sure! Will have one last conversation to ensure WAF is at maximum in terms of colour/finish and get it done tonight.

Can´t add 2nd 1723 1V, is this due to size or price as you feel so certain? I also meant that it can be added much later in future when funds saved.

sanj

On the sub topic, I agree with Gasp, get the best you can now and add more later.

On the cat topic, feliway relaxes cats rather than stops them scratching. You can get stuff called sticky paws which is like double sided tape and stops them touching/scratching things. It can leave a residue but that comes off with acetone or alcohol. Just make sure you have plenty of other places for them to scratch and encourage them to use them. Our cat only ever scratches on the couch when his scratching posts are moved.
Thanks @Conrad. will do exactly as you suggest re. the cat and as you and @Gasp3621 say re. the sub purchase.

sanj

So am about to place the order, (I know I said I would do it on saturday, but decided to procrastinate a bit longer), am I doing the right thing going with towers rather than monitors? I ask this as Arendal themselves at 1723 monitors vs towers state that "If you have subwoofer(s) placed on the front wall where the speakers are, you really have no need for the large Tower". I know I'm going phantom centre, so that may have some bearing on it, but still have this nagging doubt about going towers if the 1723S 1V is going to be taking up bass duties. Should I just shut up and get the towers as I will still have to find decent stands for the monitors, which will have to match up with the white satin somehow?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So am about to place the order, (I know I said I would do it on saturday, but decided to procrastinate a bit longer), am I doing the right thing going with towers rather than monitors? I ask this as Arendal themselves at 1723 monitors vs towers state that "If you have subwoofer(s) placed on the front wall where the speakers are, you really have no need for the large Tower". I know I'm going phantom centre, so that may have some bearing on it, but still have this nagging doubt about going towers if the 1723S 1V is going to be taking up bass duties. Should I just shut up and get the towers as I will still have to find decent stands for the monitors, which will have to match up with the white satin somehow?

There is no matching or any good looking stands for the Monitor S atm. So it`s the only issue i see. They will look bit odd with normal stands. The Tower S does look lot better and if you listen music they should be better.

sanj

There is no matching or any good looking stands for the Monitor S atm. So it`s the only issue i see. They will look bit odd with normal stands. The Tower S does look lot better and if you listen music they should be better.
Thanks @Gasp3621, I've placed the order for the tower S, surround S and sub1V in white satin (at last)! Really appreciate your help and advice. :)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@sanj better to talk here about your equipment.. I don´t have Arendals or use poweramp cause i don´t listen what would be considered loud levels where people usually notice the gains with poweramps. Generally as you are powering almost all channels from your SR701x and if you listen loud (toward -10? master volume) then adding poweramp can be good idea. Lot depends also what is the pricing for the new Emotiva range. Also if you don´t buy center channel you could then buy 2ch poweramp possibly. For those there are more options and depending of your budget then. You can easily start with the Marantz.

sanj

@sanj better to talk here about your equipment.. I don´t have Arendals or use poweramp cause i don´t listen what would be considered loud levels where people usually notice the gains with poweramps. Generally as you are powering almost all channels from your SR701x and if you listen loud (toward -10? master volume) then adding poweramp can be good idea. Lot depends also what is the pricing for the new Emotiva range. Also if you don´t buy center channel you could then buy 2ch poweramp possibly. For those there are more options and depending of your budget then. You can easily start with the Marantz.
Thanks @Gasp3621. We don't listen at very loud levels so will stick to just the Marantz. I thought I'd ask the question on the other thread as it wasnt a sub specific question. I did find youthmans video interesting though so thanks for providing it.

goatlips

Hi Martin, they do have returns available at a 10% discount and the issue with them is the roughness when you touch the speakers as mentioned on the arendal speaker thread. I'm not sure about going that route even with the full warranty on offer.
Congrats to your order, I bet you can't wait.👍

As said earlier, if you bought the returns like I did you'll save a whole load of money. Mine are in mint condition and saved £250.

sanj

Congrats to your order, I bet you can't wait.👍

As said earlier, if you bought the returns like I did you'll save a whole load of money. Mine are in mint condition and saved £250.
When I spoke to Arendal the returns on offer were ones with a rough feel to the surface of the speakers, as mentioned on the other thread. If they had been in mint condition like yours, I would have definitely gone for them. I wish they would hurry the shipping up and unfortunately I reckon the whole Suez situation may delay the delivery beyond the end of May. These will be the first speaker upgrade in many many years and I am really looking forward to having them.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR