New sub not working

AdamskiP

Hi all, wonder if anyone can help?

I have a Yamaha V685 atmos receiver that ive been running 5.0 as I was looking for a good sub deal. Found a new Rel T-zero for £209 from Peter Tyson and as my room is tiny (back bedroom) thought it’d be fine.
went to connect today and nothing!

Connected from LFE connection to Sub 1 connection on amp (not using the high level cable)
Everything turned on on sub, made sure levels were at medium-ish
Went in and turned sub on in amp config
Test tone of all other speakers fine, sub nothing
Tried in Sub 2 input of amp, nothing
Tried low level input on sub then with one of the pre outs on amp. Nothing

Is there anything I’m missing? Pretty new to the game so it’s possible I have done something wrong. I’ve ordered a new cable from Amazon to test but I’d be surprised if it’s the cable as it’s QED, although this was made up for me.

Cheers

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi all, wonder if anyone can help?

I have a Yamaha V685 atmos receiver that ive been running 5.0 as I was looking for a good sub deal. Found a new Rel T-zero for £209 from Peter Tyson and as my room is tiny (back bedroom) thought it’d be fine.
went to connect today and nothing!

Connected from LFE connection to Sub 1 connection on amp (not using the high level cable)
Everything turned on on sub, made sure levels were at medium-ish
Went in and turned sub on in amp config
Test tone of all other speakers fine, sub nothing
Tried in Sub 2 input of amp, nothing
Tried low level input on sub then with one of the pre outs on amp. Nothing

Is there anything I’m missing? Pretty new to the game so it’s possible I have done something wrong. I’ve ordered a new cable from Amazon to test but I’d be surprised if it’s the cable as it’s QED, although this was made up for me.

Cheers

You need to run YPAO setup again as you are adding subwoofer, even the least mic positions (1-3?) it allows so you get the subwoofer levels and distance (=delay) set correctly with the rest of your system. You should hear test tones through the subwoofer. Hope you have tripod for the mic, room 100% silent when you run and mic at seated ear height starting from the money seat at middle first. The rest positions close to that (30-60cm).

If you have been running the system as 5.0 then you have speakers set as "Large". Now after completing YPAO change the speaker size all "Small" cause Yamaha always defaults on Large..

Behind the REL gain knob about 12clock (50%), Phase switch to 0, connected to LFE input, Crossover to max 120hz. Set the power switch "always on" for the during you run YPAO so it won`t be sleeping.

T-Zero is so tiny sub that think about carefully the placement. Front corner would be good place to start from if possible.

Keep us posted how it goes.

AdamskiP

You need to run YPAO setup again as you are adding subwoofer, even the least mic positions (1-3?) it allows so you get the subwoofer levels and distance (=delay) set correctly with the rest of your system. You should hear test tones through the subwoofer. Hope you have tripod for the mic, room 100% silent when you run and mic at seated ear height starting from the money seat at middle first. The rest positions close to that (30-60cm).

If you have been running the system as 5.0 then you have speakers set as "Large". Now after completing YPAO change the speaker size all "Small" cause Yamaha always defaults on Large..

Behind the REL gain knob about 12clock (50%), Phase switch to 0, connected to LFE input, Crossover to max 120hz. Set the power switch "always on" for the during you run YPAO so it won`t be sleeping.

T-Zero is so tiny sub that think about carefully the placement. Front corner would be good place to start from if possible.

Keep us posted how it goes.
Ha, Thanks so much! It was entirely that simple. Never knew you needed to rerun YPAO but of course that makes sense. All is working as it should - unfortunately I currently have the REL in a not quite ideal position ( to the side of my sofa) because there are not enough sockets at the front ( I only have one and already have a belkin extender with TV/AMP/PS5/Xbox/Apple TV. Got an electrician coming out next week to fix that issue though - now I know to run YPAO again after that too!

Do I need to change the crossover knob at all or is the receiver controlling this now (essentially bypassing it)? There's been a lot to learn on this journey!

Cheers

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Ha, Thanks so much! It was entirely that simple. Never knew you needed to rerun YPAO but of course that makes sense. All is working as it should - unfortunately I currently have the REL in a not quite ideal position ( to the side of my sofa) because there are not enough sockets at the front ( I only have one and already have a belkin extender with TV/AMP/PS5/Xbox/Apple TV. Got an electrician coming out next week to fix that issue though - now I know to run YPAO again after that too!

Do I need to change the crossover knob at all or is the receiver controlling this now (essentially bypassing it)? There's been a lot to learn on this journey!

Cheers

Yeah the internal crossover is likely passed automatically as you connect to LFE, but just in case is typically recommended to turn it to max hz/lfe etc. If you run it again then yeah change speaker size small and up speaker crossovers if you have any set below 80hz. Typically you can raise up, but not recommended to lower them what the receiver has measured roll-off of each speakers. Keep adaptive DRC setting off day time, it kills the sub bass otherwise. Not familiar with the other latest features..

Good to hear it`s working. Time to put some flick on with popcorns and cola. Enjoy! 😎🍿

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom