1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New sub ideas for B&W 805 setup

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by memmerson, Mar 15, 2005.

1. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi all, I'm currently running 2 x B&W 805's with a HTM2 centre, I plan to add an extra pair of 805's in the not too distant future. Can anyone recommend a sub that would compliment these speakers nicely?

Opinions appreciated!

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    At risk of adding to the SVS numbers,I'd say this....I have a set of 805's run off Krell KMA100s,and CDM centre.
    I've recently changed my old REL sub to an SVS PC-Ultra,and been thoroughly impressed....it's not often that I find a component that really adds a huge amount to my collection,but this has,and by no small margin.....fast,deep and well controlled bass,with excellent extension and power.....way better than the similarly priced sub it replaced,and comparable to subs costing several times its amount.

The Ultra versions have the bonus of a single channel parametric eq which is very handy for smoothing out annoying room modes.

Have a good look throught the rest of the subs section,but do please bear one of their range in mind,and don't be wary of buying from the US...the delivery time,and service from SVS were superb.

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Alex
    Your starting to sound like Ian J :D All i can do is agree with the above statement they are terrific subs and it isnt hype,Ive had my svs 18 months and it too was one of the best purchases that ive made, How things look at the moment i may be placing a new order with svs for the ultra 2 in maple if i can convince mrs gonzo that we need a new end table for the new sofas.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

4. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cheers guys, I will look into your suggestions further! :smashin:

p.s. Gonzo, good luck convincing the missus!

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Maybe so....it was IanJ amongst others here who convinced me not only that SVS were worth looking at,but that I'd be happy with the results....I'm not easily pleased when it comes to new components,but this one really has been worth the investment.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Alex
    It was Ian also that pointed me in the direction of svs i was a bit worried as there wer'nt (is that a word)that many people that had svs back then but ian had heard quite a few other subs so i put my trust in him which turned out to be a very good decision.Only thing svs hasnt got going for it is the size but once youve heard one who cares.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)
    Ps I was'nt having a go at you.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Didnt think you were having a go!....this may amuse you though....when the thing arrived(in the rather large box you will remember well)I managed to drag it in and place it behind my Quad ESLs,and it took my wife around 4 days to find/notice it,and although it's a large enough cylinder...no complaints at all about the appearance.

I think the other great thing SVS has(apart from the dollar/pound rate currently)is it's superb customer service...all of my emails were answered within a few hours of sending,and it arrived here faster than I could have ordered a number of Uk equivalents.