Question New sub for PMC / Onkyo setup

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ndobson, Jan 5, 2017.

1. ndobson

ndobson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I'm looking for a new sub for my system (specs below) to replace my old MJ Accoustics Reference 100 Mk II (which I have never really been satisfied with and it's been fixed twice).

My room is just over 20' by 12' and budget is anywhere from £500 - £1,500 (happy to spend the extra cash if the sound/aesthetics are worth it). Split of movies:music is probably 80:20 so need something punchy to cater for my sci-fi tastes :)

Current set up is:
    Onkyo TXNR5009 amp
    PMC FB1i front
    PMC Twenty.21 rear
    PMC TB2i-C centre

I've had a look through the forums, but nothing jumped out at me as being an obvious choice. There are not many good quality AV places round by me so probably won't have the option of a demo before I buy so would very much welcome some more informed advice from you all.

Thanks!

Neil

2. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,480
    BK Electronics XXLS400. Punches well above it's weight in terms of price to performance and is a sealed unit which is ideal for using with music and movies as it has better timing than a ported sub.

I've tried a few more expensive subs but always stuck with the BK as it performs well and I like it's simplicity of use - simply adjust the gain knob to your liking.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. andym81

andym81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    If you can fit them in good for 2 pb 2000s. They'd bring a lot of pressure for this sci-fi movies

4. ndobson

ndobson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick responses.

Would you recommend the XXXLS400 over the Monolith+ ??

I may struggle to persuade the wife that I need 2 subs to replace the current one :)

5. Marshall Mike

Marshall Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    You have quite a sizeable budget to work with so check out the XTZ 12.17 for £600 or the Arendal Sub 1.5 for about a grand. Both can be run sealed or ported and offer better performance over the BK, IMO.

Arendal also do the Sub 1 (sealed only) and the Sub 2 (sealed, dual drivers) either side of the grand price point which you should be looking at too. Plus, they are very easy on the eye ;)

Oh and if you want to max out your budget, look at the Velodyne SPL-1200 Ultra. It's what I bought recently and I'm very happy with it. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,480
    I havent heard the monolith but it won't be as good for music and the xxls400 is very powerful as it is. I bought a Velodyne spl sub (cant remember the exact model) and a b&w db1 which is far more expensive but didn't think either were worth the extra cost over the bk sub and ended up sticking with the xxls400.

7. JFK

JFK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16