New Sub for £250 - any suggestions?

Mickey Mouse

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there all

I have a cinema set up at home and I want to replace my small Yamaha sub with something that has a bit more Ooomph! I want to spend about £250 and was looking for any advice.

My set up is as follows:

Yamaha 630RDS - I am looking to replace this with Denon 3805 soon :clap:
Mission M73 fronts
Mission M7C1 centre
Mission M7DS surrounds
Sony projector and 7ft screen

Any suggestions gratefully received :thumbsup:

Mike

A couple of weeks ago the answer would probably have been that you can't buy a decent sub under £250 but that was before Mordaunt Short introduced the 309 which is currently receiving rave reviews.

What Hifi gave it 5 stars and said that it was the first decent sub under £250 that they could recommend and it would still have 5 stars if it were £300

Probably not, as the mags tend to put the reviews online after a few months otherwise no-one would buy the mag but have a look at the current edition of What Hifi

don't think so, but the review is in the latest what(s) hifi sound and vision...check out your local newsagent...!

try richersounds - tho, not sure if they stock the new model yet...

Babble

Thanks - the review says it is £230!!! - what's going on?? I assume it's a new product and people are charging what they think they can get :confused:

Oh well I'll have a shifty and see who else is offering it.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Mike

If you buy 1 we all wanna a review of it OK:thumbsup:

Why not look at the KEF PSW2500 too. The rrp is £349, but I managed to get Techosound in Milton Keynes to price match with PRC direct and got it for a bargain £239.

It is a fantastic piece of kit too, very tweakable, and it even has switch for music and movie mode.

The Mordaunt Short is a lovely sub too, and you wont feel short changed with that either. But, with your setup, it may not be powerful enough.

Try the KEF out, dont think you will be dissappointed.

Originally posted by Mickey Mouse
Babble

Thanks - the review says it is £230!!! - what's going on?? I assume it's a new product and people are charging what they think they can get :confused:

Oh well I'll have a shifty and see who else is offering it.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Mike

Well how does £199.99 sound from (£215 Delivered) http://www.petertyson.co.uk/?p=http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ms309.shtml|p AND they have them in stock!!

Just recieved my new Baby in Honey maple and i'm going to be leaving it on for its running in process:)
Should be ready for playing pretty loud tomorrow afternoon....
Was unsure as the best way to connect it to my Sony Amp(TA-777-ES) http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=518 As on the back of the Sub it has a LEFT and a RIGHT line in "out" (white and red phono)... I 'm unsure as which to connect it to ..E.g from Sony amp to Line in "out" LEFT or RIGHT or into a splitter and into LEFT and RIGHT:confused:
The paperwork that came with the Sub is VERY brief:confused:
So if anyone xcan point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated:smashin:
I've just upgraded from my very basic/easy to setup Eltax earthquake or whatever you call them...For the money the Eltax are pretty good!
Can lastly anyone recommend a good 3M cable and Mains Cable 3M as the ones that came with it aren't long enough to reach where i'm sitting the Sub.
Thanks
Danny-p

Danny-P - I too got mine yesterday and as you say the manual is breif. Did you have a setup disc with yours? The manual refers to one for setting the notch filter but I couldn't see one.

Also in the same predicament as you with the conncetions. My cheapo Eltax sub just has a single phono line in. How do I get a single phono out into 2 phonos in on the sub, and more importantly, do I need to? :lease:

Hmm right then;
Connect single inputs to the left hand side as this functions as the mono inputs.
If people are without their setup discs (this would possibly include 909 and 502 owners as well) please PM me with a postal address and I'll send them out- I took the precaution of ordering a box in after the WHF review.
The notch filter is the top two dials on the rear panel. One adjusts the frequency that is active at, the other the amount of db cut at that point. With the disc (and ideally an SPL) run the various frequency until you encounter the resonance point of the room and adjust the notch filter to this frequency before experimenting to see how much output to cut at this point. If your house was built after 1960 it is generally between 45hz and 60hz :smashin:.

Originally posted by Tons of fun
Hmm right then;
Connect single inputs to the left hand side as this functions as the mono inputs.
If people are without their setup discs (this would possibly include 909 and 502 owners as well) please PM me with a postal address and I'll send them out- I took the precaution of ordering a box in after the WHF review.
The notch filter is the top two dials on the rear panel. One adjusts the frequency that is active at, the other the amount of db cut at that point. With the disc (and ideally an SPL) run the various frequency until you encounter the resonance point of the room and adjust the notch filter to this frequency before experimenting to see how much output to cut at this point. If your house was built after 1960 it is generally between 45hz and 60hz :smashin:.

Hi,
I managed to find out by contacting richer sounds regarding the LEFT connection....but mine didnt come with the setup disk either:confused:
Another thing is my sub plays fine and when playing a cd but when i turn it up (volume on amp) to quarter of the way sometimes the cone extends on the sub then stops working/responding to bass and either stays silent or makes a slight popping sound from out the ports...
I f i turn the sub off and back on its fine for an hour or so..Its normally between songs (silence then suddenly music) when it occurs :confused:
Is this just my setting up on the back of the Sub:confused:....If anyone can help that would be great.
Thanks
Danny

Originally posted by Ian Carter
Danny-P - I too got mine yesterday and as you say the manual is breif. Did you have a setup disc with yours? The manual refers to one for setting the notch filter but I couldn't see one.

Also in the same predicament as you with the conncetions. My cheapo Eltax sub just has a single phono line in. How do I get a single phono out into 2 phonos in on the sub, and more importantly, do I need to? :lease:

I'm in the same boat as you regarding setting up.
I'l let you know how i get on.
Thanks
Danny

Hmm right then;

Tons of fun...Your PM is full and i cant send you one.

I've cleared some room :). Check where the sub volume and crossover is- if they're both maxed this could be the issue but failing that you are best speaking to me and I'll try and troubleshoot it. I am having a pretty hectic day at the moment but I'll try and sort something :).

I've cleared some room :). Check where the sub volume and crossover is- if they're both maxed this could be the issue but failing that you are best speaking to me and I'll try and troubleshoot it. I am having a pretty hectic day at the moment but I'll try and sort something :).

You have PM:)

Originally posted by 69COU
So impressed with it I may get another for my other room.

Sounds really good but Don't the neighbours complain about the noise....Ive just got the MS 309 and am having a hard time with "turn it down" every five minutes so i'm looking into sound-deadening my room.

Lucky current living room is in house extension so does not hit the neighbours. I am moving shortly and will be a detached house so hopefully my days of worrying about the neighbours will cease somewhat.

Cheers:clap:

Originally posted by Ian J
A couple of weeks ago the answer would probably have been that you can't buy a decent sub under £250 but that was before Mordaunt Short introduced the 309 which is currently receiving rave reviews.

What Hifi gave it 5 stars and said that it was the first decent sub under £250 that they could recommend and it would still have 5 stars if it were £300

Would one of these work OK with a marantz SR5400 and Gallo Micros all round?

Would it be a nightmare for a sound 'relative' newbie to set up?

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom