New sub and dual setup advise

unknownsith

Hi, I’m looking at a new subwoofer around the £500 mark for movie viewing only. I’ve currently got a KEF HTB2SE which was part of my KEF 3005SE speaker package. I’ve upgraded the front L/C/R to KEF Q350 and KEF Q650. I’ve looked at the BK P12-300SB-PR or the newer SVS SB1000 PRO but looking for recommendations.

Any advise on keeping the KEF HTB2SE to go behind my sofa and using in a dual setup with the new Sub? Not sure it would work out or not, I guess I could test this when the time comes.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
No pictures / dimensions of room.

Notice that BK P12-PR is waiting drivers from US. Same situation for months, they say few weeks forward. Due to passive radiator design it`s closer to ported subwoofers so it´s very likely that it offers stronger low end than the small sealed SVS. If you were to look similar model from SVS then the "old" PB1000 is on sale for 450£.

Although as you have 500£ budget i would do anything to get extra 100£ so that you can get open box PB1000 Pro from forum advertiser (599£). Clearly it would be worth the extra price!

Alternative option if you just can´t go any higher from 500£ without selling kidney, then consider BK Monolith which offers better performance vs. P12-PR due to larger ported cabinet. I´m fairly sure this model uses same driver to P12-PR so you might have to wait it too even if you can add it to basket. Better to call BK if intrested.

The Kef sub has 10" active and 10" passive radiator. Similar design to P12-PR, but i don`t think it would keep up with it. BK has the ability to dig deeper and play louder. I wouldn´t use it with those other models either. Better to sell it and start saving up for identical 2nd subwoofer!

unknownsith

Thanks for your detailed response, I’m now looking at the SVS PB 1000 PRO, would this be the recommended sub at this price point? My room is very small at only 9’8” x 10’8”, although small it is dedicated, with a 95” fixed screen, Epson 9300W and speakers already mentioned in my previous post.

GrazzaB

That sub will look big in such a small room so I’d maybe look at the SB1000 / Pro or an BK XLS200 which will be considerably cheaper and still powerful enough to sound good.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your detailed response, I’m now looking at the SVS PB 1000 PRO, would this be the recommended sub at this price point? My room is very small at only 9’8” x 10’8”, although small it is dedicated, with a 95” fixed screen, Epson 9300W and speakers already mentioned in my previous post.

Big screen, limited floor space with speaker stands, av-cabinet etc. If you are sticking with one sub then PB1K Pro should offer jaw dropping experience after the Kef sub, but if you are going to be adding more subwoofers in future then size may become issue? We have couple members with BK Monolith in same size room as yours so it´s definitely not too much if the size isn´t issue. Rather to have bit more subwoofer than not cause this is dedicated room and hunger grows with this hobby always. PB1000 Pro can be also run as sealed, but it has also room compensation feature to drop down the low end if too much without using port bungs so you still get the tactile sensation.

If smaller cab would be ideal with the idea of adding more woofers in future then example the powerfull sealed models SB2000 and Arendal 1961S at ~705 - 750£.

If the screen is in the short wall and the 10´8" is length, you sit fairly close to rear wall then the response looks fairly good without huge dips if the sub is placed at the front wall.

10x11.png

unknownsith

This is my room, the room is getting redecorated along with some joinery work, new cabinet and shelving in may. The room will still stay the same for speaker placement and on measuring up the PB 1000 PRO will fit.... although yes will look large. The room is small but it’s pretty much square and gives a great viewing experience for what it is. I’m trying to be careful to not over power it all or spend more than necessary and be overkill.
D9AF4D44-C344-4F9A-8384-C4062990D986.jpeg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
For a dedicated room i would want something hard hitting which digs deep so you can really enjoy and blast there! You would be suprised what people has in small room like yours so this model definitely isn´t overkill. You already have nice system apart from the lifestyle woofer. I think it would be soon forgot the size when you hear what it can do there. It should transform the experience big time. You have lot larger cabinet with bigger driver shifting some air from two ports! The earlier PB1000 was well known from the low end, now it`s even better but they also eeked out the much needed mid-bass slam.

One thing to keep in mind for future is your av-receiver doesn´t eq the subwoofer so before you blame it, consider adding either Antimode 8033 Cinema if you want plug&play device or if you are buying new receiver in near future then consider D&M products with Audussey (XT32) or Dirac Live/ARC machines next.

unknownsith

I was actually looking before lock down at a new receiver, Denon 4700h, Marantz 7015 and was just waiting for Yamaha RX-A6. Obviously due to COVID things have slowed so the Yamaha has yet to be released. I have a Yamaha 1030 but eventually looking to have a 5.1.2 setup using KEF Q50a.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I was actually looking before lock down at a new receiver, Denon 4700h, Marantz 7015 and was just waiting for Yamaha RX-A6. Obviously due to COVID things have slowed so the Yamaha has yet to be released. I have a Yamaha 1030 but eventually looking to have a 5.1.2 setup using KEF Q50a.

Yamaha probably still poor with sub eq as it sticks with YPAO. You could also consider X3700H or SR6015. Main difference is the loss of Auro 3D, not sure if important. In bench test there was 10w difference (=meaningless) to 4700/7015 so you can save quite a lot with those two models. The X3700H goes under 1k£ often open box. Not sure if X3800H comes at August/September, if that is the case then the prices will drop around June hopefully. They are so high now it´s just crazy! 1100£ for product that cost 999£ when it was announced. 🤬

Dobbyisfree

When you've stopped chatting to Emperor Palpatine, don't know if you know your signature says you have an x4700 so it's a bit confusing 🤣

unknownsith

When you've stopped chatting to Emperor Palpatine, don't know if you know your signature says you have an x4700 so it's a bit confusing 🤣
Once you've stopped chatting with Harry Potter, you might realise its an old photo on an old post but my sig has updated with my current set up, so not really too confusing. 🤣

Attachments

• av1.jpg
    av1.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 24
  • av2.jpg
    av2.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 26
  • av3.jpg
    av3.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 28

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom