Question New sub advice please

killer10971

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My M&K kx12 has decided to start playing up and I have decided to replace it after years of service.

im looking at either a monolith Df or P12-300SB.

It will be used 70% for movies with bowers and wilkins cm8 fronts and a b&w cm centre2 s2.

the Room is a dedicated log cabin 4m by 4m with a 3m ceiling

any suggestions ?

i don't really want to spend a huge amount hence looking at the two named subs so under £1000

my m&k still works but is not the same as it was , had to have it repaired as it was popping and cracking even when no input connected and regardless mains supply.

an electrical engineer friend replaced all the dead components with the same spec parts but it has lost its "punch" if that makes sense and it still crackles and pops.

i don't really want to spend a huge amount hence looking at the two named subs so under £1000

my m&k still works but is not the same as it was , had to have it repaired as it was popping and cracking even when no input connected and regardless mains supply.

an electrical engineer friend replaced all the dead components with the same spec parts but it has lost its "punch" if that makes sense and it still crackles and pops.
Have you considered other brands like svs or bk

I have an svs sub and well worth the money

Have you considered other brands like svs or bk

I have an svs sub and well worth the money
Am quite sure both subs mentioned by op are indeed BK. [emoji3]

I'd go with the Monolith if space and budget allow.

Or dual [emoji12]

within your budget is the JL Audio Dominion 10

very small footprint but with plenty of snappy tight controlled bass

definitely one to consider i'd say and large enough to fill your room

Allan

it says in his first post ;)

Following on from a KX12, you could do far worse than an SVS SB2000. It'll be about the same size as your KX12, have much more power to draw on, reach deeper, and go louder (if needed). It'll easily fill your room as I'm using one in a similar sized room. It's apparent depth is quite astonishing for its size, and the fact that it's a single 12" driver. As good as the KX12 is (I used to own one), you'll be surprised what you're missing.

got the monolith in gloss black and am very impressed.

I have the crossover set on my avr at 80hz but my main speakers I think the crossover is about 67hz so as a result I seem to get the odd rumble when for instance a car drives past

should I keep it @80 or drop to 60hz

I will try but wanted peoples opinions

I have a xls200 which I need to replace. I've upgraded my speakers to Kef R900 front, R600 centre, Kef R300s as rears. They're driven by an Arcam Avr550. Ideal sub budget is around £1k.

I have a xls200 which I need to replace. I've upgraded my speakers to Kef R900 front, R600 centre, Kef R300s as rears. They're driven by an Arcam Avr550. Ideal sub budget is around £1k.
Start a new thread.

ok watch my first film and blown away (star trek - into darkness)
my 5 speakers were balanced to 75db previously and I had just set the monolith to about 10 oclock position

today I used my spl to set the level to match the rest of my system +/-3db and after adjusting the low level gain was just off min about 8oclock pos

and now feel I have lost that evil thump in my chest in films but sounds good in music

I feel I may of had it up too loud initially but long term watching may of been exhausting but fun

any tips in setting up , I have played music and adjusted sub that way

cheers all

I

On a separate note will you upgrade the sub or add atmos? There priced the same Kef R50s for £1000 a pair...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom