New Sub, advice please. BK with Monitor Audio

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Rich9600, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Rich9600

Rich9600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hi folks.

I'm running a 5.1 and stereo hybrid system with the front channels driven by a switchable integrated/power stereo amp.
    Due to a room rearrangement, driven by my better half, I've had to change my rears to small satellites, MA Radius 45HD's, and all of a sudden the failings of my cheap Eltax Attomic 10 Sub have become all to obvious. It's the change in rears, the crossover had moved up from 80Hz to 140Hz by auto calibration, I've reduced it to 120Hz to try and hide a bit of my subs failings...

How would a BK sub integrate with my MA RS6 mains, BR LCR centre and Radius 45HD rears?

Can I use the low level with my LFE output, setting the filter to 'Out' and the use the high level with my stereo amp and use the subs own crossover settings as my speakers work down to 38Hz anyway? Will this use the AV-R for LFE crossover and the subs crossover for stereo? There seems little point in doing much more than 60-80Hz with the sub on music. Is it just a case of setting the two gains to suit each operation on their own, and when only listening to music and the AV-R is off will it work fine with just one input? When both are on will the sub support both LFE and the stereo channels?

Many questions.

Would a XLS200 be better between the stereo speakers than an XXLS400 immediately to the left of the left speaker? I can't fit the bigger sub inboard without loosing he centring of the TV to the sofa. :(

Lastly, does anybody have a walnut sub with MA speakers in real wood veneer in Walnut? Is it a good match?

Hopefully you can help me, and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. stevest4s

stevest4s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have MA RX6 fronts and Rx centre with Eltax surrounds. I have a BK Monolith bringing up the lower end with an Antimode 8033c to equalise out the room response.

Works great and integrates nicely. I am however running it all via an AVR and just the low level interconnect. I haven't tried the Mono with the high-level inputs.

3. mfife

mfife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    whether the sub is placed between the two fronts or outwith them is not really relevant. The best place for the sub is wherever it will give you the smoothest in-room response. If you're lucky that'll be somewhere the wife'll let you put it!
    Given your fronts, consider the xxls400 as the minimum sub to go with. Am also a bit surprised that it's changing your rears that highlighted your subs' shortcomings. A pair of MA RX6 with an Eltax atomic 10? Really? I'd think your fronts actually go deeper than that sub! Get a 400 or a monolith (makes a nice side table!) and be blown away.

4. Rich9600

Rich9600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    The old Eltax is set very low and just really an output for the LFE, the amp bass management is set to both as the RS6's are good and its a weak sub... The Eltax is from my original system... £50 display model from Comet. Tried it last night with Skyfall using a Chord Powerchord! Excessive, but it was a bit better though. lol

Since changing the rears the sub has strayed up into the higher frequencies and is just more noticeable. My previous rears were decent sized stand mounts. Or, it could be room positioning, previously the sub was in a corner, beside a sofa and hidden under a table. Now it's in open space with just a wall behind, beside the left speaker with a door to its left and open space to the front. Either way, it's failings are now much more of an issue.

I use the stereo part of he setup quite a lot, so music is a considerable part of my usage mix. If positioning outboard vs inboard the left main isn't too important that really removes the XLS200. I'll go for the outboard position for room decor reasons (GF). I'm very tempted towards the XXLS400, and as I've suspended wooden floors the FF model seems the best sonic plan. The floor is also hard covered, laminate. Though, the DF would be more hardy, the diver is nicely protected by design and would make a better side table... Decisions decisions...

Cheers
    Richard

5. stevest4s

stevest4s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What I forgot to mention in my earlier reply was that BK will colour match if you want them to. The 'standard' walnut finish is not quite like the MA walnut which has quite a red tint to it but my Mono looks nice next to the RX6 anyway.

6. mfife

mfife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Another idea re colour matching: you know, sometimes a good contrast is better than a near match of colours that are not quite the same. It's what I went for in the end (Cherry xls400 vs Maple Epos Mi5s and centre). Mind you in my case I had no choice as BK don't do Maple - well not without paying extra anyways!

7. Deleted member 598831

Deleted member 598831

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as a bit of help, here's the samples Tom at BK sent.

One on left is the walnut, and on the right is the dark walnut.

Steve

Attached Files:

8. Rich9600

Rich9600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks guys. I've taken the plunge and ordered the XXLS400-FF in Walnut yesterday afternoon.

The picture on the BK web page looks most like the Dark Walnut, so I assume this is what is commonly referred to as Walnut... Seems like the phone lines are closed today so I'll pester them again on Monday... The lighter one wouldn't work as well...

Had a good chat with them on the phone yesterday regarding the oddities of my system and dual usage. They were very helpful and got the grasp of my situation quickly. So, I ordered it there and then.

Now, I just hope it matches up with the room...

It will be a long ten days or so...

Cheers

Richard

9. Rich9600

Rich9600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Just for anybody in a similar position.

I got my XXLS400-FF last week and its great. In the end I changed my order to Dark Walnut and asked for their custom 30-80Hz crossover option.

Firstly, in all but the brightest lights the Dark Walnut is a very good match with MA Walnut finish on my RS6's. The MA finish has a very slight red tint under brighter lights.

Secondly, the custom crossover works a treat. I have it set to the minimum (30Hz) with the high level gain at 9-10 o'clock and get seamless integration by ear and SPL meter app. I'll try a real meter at one point.

Speakers tail off at 38Hz and because of the bleed up from the sub setting at 30Hz all seems right. :)

Attached Files:

10. Deleted member 598831

Deleted member 598831

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Told ya :smashin:

Glad its worked out, good finish on the darker walnut, second is on order :clap:
    Steve