Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New Studio Ghibli region 1 dvd releases coming in August

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Richie Dagger, May 13, 2005.

1. Richie Dagger

Richie Dagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Walt Disney is set to release Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamadas on August 16th.

The movies, both directed by Isao Takahata, will be the first Takahata directed Ghibli films released by Walt Disney in North America. Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies is availabel from Central Park Media, and some of his pre-Ghibli work, such as Panda Go Panda, is available from other companies.

The only other Ghibli movie not directed by Miyazaki that has been released in North America is The Cat Returns, which was released by Disney earlier this year.

Last April it was reported that My Neighbors the Yamadas, Only Yesterday, and Pom Poko were to be released in November of that year.

With the exception of Princess Mononoke, Walt Disney and Buena Vista Home Entertainment have, up until now, released all previous Ghibli movies in batches of 3 (Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky & Kiki's Delivery Service in April 2003 and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, The Cat Returns and Porco Rosso in February 2005), however there is currently no news of a third title, such as Only Yesterday, being scheduled for August.

As with previous releases, Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamadas will come in 2-disc sets that will include a second disc with extras. Both films have been rated PG by the MPAA for "Violence, Scary Images and Thematic Elements " (Pom Poko) and "Mild Thematic Elements" My Neighbors the Yamadas.

Richie Dagger :devil:

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

1) I'm surprised that Disney only received a G rating, and not a PG-13 for "Pom Poko". Seeing as many of the male characters often display their testicles (which they can magically stretch out, like tablecloths :eek: ), it seems odd that the MPAA classify this as "Suitable for all audiences" (which it isn't)! Not only that, but the film - whilst very funny - does have quite a dark overtone to it, which I wouldn't personally want young children seeing, as it would easily frighten them. In the UK, it's a 12 certificate!

2) With "My Neighbours The Yamadas", it'll be interesting to see what's on the Second disc, as the Japanese Studio Ghibli release didn't have a second disc at all. However, you did get a DTS soundtrack on it, which I bet Disney haven't given US fans! :devil: I don't think this film will appeal as much, as it's not your normal type of anime. It's very fragmented, as it's made up of animated vignettes, or short stories,a nd the film runs for about 100 minutes. It's much more of an arthouse-film. So I hope people don't buy it, expecting a "usual" Ghibli film, as they will be very disappointed with it, otherwise.

Pooch

P.S. Both films, in my opinion though, are brilliant!