New Stereo + Surround System Needed !

clarkc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

I have been reading this site on and off for some time and now felt the need to seek some help. I am seeking to modernise/upgrade my system but I am struggling to find the right concept.

My current system is based on T+A components (now around 10 years old): very elegant concept (sadly discontinued) combining stereo amp - LR front channels - and surround receiver - additional 3.1 channels, Benchmark DAC1, Piega speakers and AppleTV

We listen to music stored on my MacMini (iTunes via USB to Benchmark), via Spotify (Airplay) and use the Apple TV for films/TV shows and for Airplay.

Stereo performance is pretty good but I assume that I can get better performance from newer electronics (I tried out a Linn Majik DS for a while which was noticeably silkier). If possible, I would also like to improve usability (currently a lot of switching needed from a battery of remotes, all from different suppliers, sometimes too much for my wife!) with better integration of Spotify, Airplay, etc. I intend to keep the beautiful Piega speakers but everything else is up for grabs!

To be honest, I also just need something new ! ))

To summarise, I would describe my basic requirements as follows:

- High quality stereo playback (source better than Benchmark DAC1)
- Neat integration of decent surround sound (some kind of bypass arrangement?)
- Stereo source likely to be USB DAC as it seems to me that USB is more user-friendly than streaming: allows the better control options from Mac/iPad - streaming options seem to require the generally lower quality apps provided by individual manufacturers (I had a Linn for a while and the app was awful)
- Improve usability / simplicity: would like to reduce amount of switching (maybe automatic source switching is possible?), ideally reduce number of components
- Better Spotify, Airplay integration
- Nice aesthetics (ideally units optically compatible)

Sorry for the many words. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

You say Stereo and Surround Sound, are these in two separate rooms?

If you have an existing Surround system, it can pay to add a Stereo to it, but typically one does not buy both when buying NEW unless they are in separate rooms.

Rather sink the Stereo money into a better Surround Amp, or abandon Surround altogether if your highest priority is music. A Stereo system, especially of the caliber you seem interested in can still make for great movies.

For many a Stereo Amp can improve an existing system, but when buying new, I think it better to pick one or the other, Stereo or Surround Sound, and dump your considerable money into only one.

Steve/bluewizard

Is there a stereo receiver that can do the following:
  1. good stereo audio.
  2. needs to be able to balance the difference in loudness when it comes to speech and action scenes in series and movies
  3. needs to be attached to the TV, PS4, Turntable(with or without dedicated phono), CD Player.
  4. I have a pair of Q Acoustics 2010.
  5. and finally should be good for another couple of years.
Right now I like stereo more than surround sound but I haven't found a stereo receiver that can be used for all of this, s/h or new for under 200 pounds.

1. Plenty but could struggle to find one with the budget if new. But do you want a stereo receiver amplifier (includes tuner) or a stereo integrated amplifier (without tuner)?
2. Not really. You need a separate center channel for properly balancing out vocals. Stereo can do a good job but will not seprate vocals from the rest of the sound, and as you found out and which i also agree that vocals can get lost among the other sounds when listening in stereo.
3. Do-able but will need to know type of inputs and how many of those is required. I.e The TV and definitely the PS4 will have a optical audio outputs. So that's at least 2 digital. The CDP could have both analogue and digital outputs but which do you intend to use?
4. OK
5. It should be good for many more years than a couple unless you want to upgrade

1. Radio would be nice to have but is not necessary.
2. Would simply adding a centre speaker for movies and series be enough? E.G. music plays stereo but as soon as I start a film it will be center + sub = 3.1?
3. CDP can be analogue or digital. It will probably be an old CDP from Rotel or NAD. Can't remember right now. It's in storage.
4. Jep :)
5. Obviously it should be good for years to come.

Any suggestions? I am happy with s/h. Does not need to be brand new.

Last edited:
You need an AVR - can be had new fro £170 and up. I recommend stretching your budget to £300 if you can. These have all the inputs and outputs you could need.

You have Piegas - why did you buy the Q Acoustics???

Use a bluray player for CDs!

Sorry I am very new to all of this.

What do you mean with Piegas ? I got the Q Acoustics from a friend and thought it might be a good start. Why a BDP for CDs?

If you want a clear separated center, then as above, you need a AV. For the budget it be best to look s\h for a av that is good with music if music is a major priority and even then the current budget may be a bit lean for one that is. £300+ should come back with something decent and not too old, but all this does depend on your expectations. Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz are pretty good with music

Why a BDP ? Because they can do double duty with good results and saves on boxes. However, they will be much slower in loading than a cdp and display information will most likely to be limited to time and cd track no. FF\FR are often done in jumps unlike cdp's which sound like tracks sped up

Okay I will go with an AV and add an BDP later on.

So the AV needs a minimum of 3 HMDI slots (PS4 WiiU BDP), a tuner, 5.1 and a good stereo sound quality.
Any suggestion for that and on what centre speaker and sub would fit with the Q Acoustics 2010?

Are these AVRs any good:?
For Sale - Yamaha RX-V1065 AVR | AVForums
For Sale - Yamaha RX-V2700 | AVForums
For Sale - Pioneer VSX-920k AV Amplifier | AVForums

I only need to attach a couple of consoles and a bdp and a turntable (probably with a dedicated amp).

Last edited:
I would suggest to go have a listen to them or a newer equivalent and see if you like what you hear as Music may or may not be as good as you are hoping with AV's though the 2 yammys you listed should be decent. I personally don't think the Pioneer is any good with music, in fact leave it off the list if music is that important.
The yamaha V2700 i think was a flagship AV or close too but does not have hdmi ports but it has all the makings to be very good with music. Films should not be a problem with any of those listed hence why i haven't mentioned anything about films sound.
What you should also do is listen to a stereo amp in or a bit above the budget and see which out of the 2 types you prefer. The AV may have all the connections in world, but if they sounds like squeeking dog then best leave alone

Piegas - your Piega speakers

Ah Piega is the brand. I thought the brand was called Q Acoustics. I will listen to the receivers and some stereo amps. If I am correct, I can connect a stereo amp to the TV and all the sound that would normally go through the TV speakers will go through the stereo amp. So if I connect the PS4 and the BDP to the TV via HDMI they will also go through the stereo amp or do I have to connect all devices to the amp?

If I read your post right then you are correct if using a stereo amp The tv will act as a hub for the ps4. Sky, etc. You may need to change the tv's audio option to use ext speakers. With this, there is a chance that lipsync issues may occur and if the tv does not have the option to correct this (the stereo amp will not) , you either reliant on the sources to have it or live with it if not detrimental to your viewing pleasure. The ps4 should have this option and I know Sky does, but not every bdp do.

If using a avr then sources will connected to that via hdmi. And a single hdmi to tv. The AV will have lipstick correction so this will not be an issue.

I think I want to focus on a stereo amp. I don't really need all the features of an AVR. I simply want to listen to records and cds and attach it to the telly. Do I need a DAC for that?

Not if the stereo amp has enough digital connections, of which you need 2 optical (btw, does the tv has optical audio output? -most do nowadays)

Another things, Stereo amps with digital inputs have only really became more common within the last year or 2. Before they were few and far between and found moreso on the mid and above class of amps. So to get one second hand is still going to cost most if not above the budget.

New and with the required inputs is the Yamaha RN500 but the cheapest i can find it is for £320
Yamaha R-N500 Network Stereo Receiver
Not just a stereo receiver but also network playe
On that famous auction site, they are selling between £250 and £330 ( £300+ are ones most likely to be refurbs or grade b stock)

Same as the above but for around £430 ish is the HK3770 by Harman Kardon.
Stereo Receivers - Home
Harman Kardon HK 3770 Stereo Receiver Review | AVForums

Double the budget but this is what you are looking at if new and s/h with your requirements and budget will prove slightly hard to find.

Alternatively you can get a very good second hand amp with onboard phono stage and dac ( like a CA dac magic 2) that will can come on budget or a bit over, but i would still increase the budget to get more of what you want.

I Just realized you have hijacked somebody else thread. Hence the confusion with the Piega speakers as they are the clarkc's (Original Poster) speakers and your's are q acoustics.
Though the Op hasn't responded since they starting this, its still their thread and you should of started your own.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom