1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New standmounters for up to £4000?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Crustyloafer, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I have decided to move on from my Acoustic Energy AE1 Mk3s and need to find something else to replace them. I am looking for a standmounter that is suitable for use close to a rear wall. My budget is up to around £4000. They will be used with the other equipment listed in my signature below. The only thing I didn't like about the AE1s was their limited volume ouput but everything else they did was fantastic. Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. jradley

jradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hi,

I would consider PMC IB1's (or IB2's if you could find a pair second hand - that should still be in your price range).

Cheers,

John

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If you're set on a standmounted speaker in that price range you could also have a look at the Wilson Audio Cub....should be available at that price used or nearly new,and is a beautifully made(and heavy) standmounter,with lovely sound.

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Crusty,
    My two pennies worth. Jmlab Micro Utopia. Beautifully made and best sounding standmount i've heard in a long time.

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it were my 4k they would be my choice soooo...nice :cool:

John

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Depends on what you mean by close to a rear wall, in my experience, larger speakers tend to work better further away from ways than stand (bookshelf) speakers. The Wilson's are incredible.

The AE1s are great speakers but are they the weakpoint in your system. They should be able to shine even if the rest of your system is upgraded

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I am only selling my AE1s as there is a small chip in the cabinet which has been really annoying me. I can buy another pair easily for what I am selling them for. I am now looking into possibly going for the AE3 Mk2s which should do everything the AE1s did well but with better power handling.