1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by KAO, May 29, 2001.

1. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have up to about 1000 UK pounds (sorry, no pound sign on my keyboard!) to purchase some new speakers. I'm currently running some very old AR18s at the front, with some Canon SR35s (I think?) as the rear surrounds, and a makeshift centre.

As you can see, they are all in dire need of replacement. I want to get something that will match well with my Pioneer VSA-E07 amp. Room is pretty large (about 25 feet by 40 feet) and the walls are made of reinforced concrete. System is used mainly for Home Cinema.

Any recommendations? Would anyone recommend a package, or am I better off selecting individually? Obviously I want the tonal qualities to match so I'm aiming for a single manufacturer whatever happens. What about the rears? What about matching floor standers for front and rear, or is that overkill? Sub or not? Any relevant advice clearly appreciated!

TIA, keith

2. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt, no I haven't. It's a long, long time since I bought any speakers, and I've never bought any specifically for HC use. Are the B&W available as a set?

I've heard some good things about Paradigm, but I'm not sure how easy they are to get here (I'm in Germany).

[ 29-05-2001: Message edited by: KAO ]

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    Hope this of some help, but may be way over your budget? But Castle(castle.uk.com) does a nice range of speakers, front, center and sub sorry no rear. Anyway their Harlechs (won quite a few awards) are not only front firing but also have a top-firing speaker, which gets rid of a lot of that hot spot. They also sound more three-dimensional.
    As Castle have just replaced their Harlech with Harlech S2's, you may find a dealer that is discounting the originals quite a bit, which may bring you in budget. Also if you are married, the wife will love the finish on them.

4. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keith,

have you considered the B&W 600 series 2. It would fit well within your budget and offer very good tonal matching as all speakers have the very similar high frequency characteristics.

Regards,

Matt

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, B&W are fine speakers. I have Ruark's and find them superb. To get a full set will cost a bit for than a grand even without the sub. I would suggest getting a pair of epiloge R's (£400) to use as mains temporarily and a Dialogue R (400) centre. Pick up some cheap rears and when you have saved up, go for Ruark Prelude R mains (£774)and move the epilogues to the rear.

Very nice speakers. Very nice indeed.

Steve

6. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Combination of Steve's reply and the B&W theme, if you could stretch your budget a bit, you could get a pair of the CDM1 NTs for the front and a CDMC NT for the centre. Then when you have more dosh either buy another pair of 1NTs or a pair of the bigger speakers in the range (7NTs?) and move the 1NTs to the rear. More expensive I know, but IMHO that setup will rock :)

Whatever you do, you should listen properly first, preferably in your home - that's a big room to fill with noise :)

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Suggest to listen to Acoustic Energy 100 series (e.g. 109+107C+100i/101) or Mission Cinema7, perhaps Monitor Audio Silver series.

All are available with matching center and rears.
    You could also substitute the Mission DS77 (or was it 77D?) bipoles with e.g. 771 models as rears, depending on your preference.

Those sets will cost you around GBP800 which leaves you with a balance I would save up for a sub.
    Since HC is your main interested a sub is sooner or later a "must" - a good one will cost you around GBP500.

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Since you are in Germany: I have seen a few ads selling Magnat Vector Series (model 77, 22 and matching center 13) at redicilous low prices.
    Haven't heard them myself but reviews raved about them; have myself an old pair of Magnats at home and they still do a fine job (though by now they are like 15-17 years old).

Note that in Germany speakers are usually quoted by unit and not as pairs - but try to buy one only. ;)
    http://www.magnat.de/english/produkte/#

9. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Seems like I might have to spend a bit more than I intended, albeit in stages. Oh dear! :)

Reiner, thanks for the tip on buying speakers over here...very good to know!

10. Space

Space

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since you live in Germany, give the Phonar P30 a try in combination with their Centric-II center speaker. They are beautifully build, use carbon/glass-fiber cones and quality SEAS tweeters. Phonar site

11. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Space, thanks for the tip...they do look really nice. Has anyone tried these things?

12. Space

Space

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I don't think anyone here has tried them. They do export their speakers, but not much. Here in Holland there's only 1 dealer, but in Germany there must be hundreds of dealers. I've seen their Centric IIs center speaker and it's BIG and HEAVY. The speaker s are made of 22mm thick wood :eek: and that for 1000 DM each (P30). I haven't heard their P30, I have the P300 myself but the P300 is their export version of the P30 and sounds different due to other crossover and better drivers. I will soon buy their export version of the Centric IIs. :cool:

13. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Space, I found a local dealer here so I'm going to try and check them out this weekend. Thanks again for the tip.

14. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the Mission FS2, it's an excellent home cinema system.

15. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ZZR, I'll take a look.

I had the opportunity to listen to some Infinity Kappa 90's this morning, although not in a great HC atmosphere (busy shop). Does anyone have any thoughts on these as HC fronts, and maybe move my old AR18's to the rear?

16. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I folded and bought the Kappa 90's, and I must say I'm very pleased with them. Has anyone else got a pair of these?

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions!