1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Marmite, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi. Im currently in the middle of doing a hell of a lot of research into getting myself a nice surround sound kit that i can potentially use for music a bit as well. But ive got to the point where i have a shortlist that just isnt short! I know there are posts similar to this every day, and believe me i have been trawling through them. But i need to start fine tuning this list a bit so i can really start making a decision. Heres what ive fathomed so far:

Celestion AVP305 - love the look of these and have found them for £400. Not sure on the quality though as there dont seem to be a lot of people on this forum who have them, and ive read some very contrasting reviews.

Canton CD1 - Nice and ickle, but a bit bland looking. Im under the impression that they are good performers though, and have read some people on here saying that they are actually preferable to the KEF 2005.2 eggs to many ears. Is this really the case? Also, they can be had for very cheap (200-250 on some german websites).

KEF Eggs 2005.2. - mags seem to love them, as do many on here. I cant say im too keen on the shape and size though (not exactly sleek if put by a plasma for instance) and id prefer the centre speaker to be a different shape.

Elac Cinema 1 - good reviews, nice and small. Bit bland like the Cantons though in terms of looks.

Mission M30 - decent looking smallish bookshelfs, held in quite high regard from what i can tell. Bit concerned about the size though and the need for stands all round, which is added cost and clutter.

The other dilemma i have is to wether or not i should go for satellites, or maybe consider something like an Acoustic Energy Evo 3b set or the MS Premier Plus equipment, so that i would have some floorstanders ready to go when i want to hook up some stereo in the future. I dont need music performance to be awesome, but it would be a good to get it incorporated to a reasonable level. The other option of course is to stick with satellites for movies, and buy two new floorstanders/bookshelf speakers specifically for music in the future. What do a majority on here go for? Im a bit concerned that the latter option will look clumsy in any size room as there would be 7 speakers taking over!

So i put it to you good people, what the hell should i do?! I know listening to them has a massive bearing (as does the amp etc - im thinking of a Denon 2803 or something along those lines by the way) but theres no way i could have the time to go through listenings of all the options that are doing the rounds in my head at the moment! My budget would ideally be no more than 1k for amp and speakers, but i dont mind going over if im convinced it will be worth it in the long term.

Look forward to your expert help :)

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The advantage with the Missions is you couls always add some 34 or 35 floorstanders at a later date and use the rest for a 7 speaker setup:devil: I can highly recommend the AE setup for movies and music. The MS premeire plus system is also very good but if you wanted to add floorstanders at a leter date you would also need to upgrade the centre but it does have a superb sub the 309 :smashin:

Would it also not be better to look at the 2805 as an amp over the 2803?

3. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Depends what the price difference is on the 2803 and the 2805 to be honest!

Thats a good point about the missions actually - hadnt thought of that! Then again, 7.1 sounds like overkill for the sort of size rooms i will probably end up running this thing in.

Im seriously in a massive dillema as to wether to go for satellites or proper loud speakers. Obviosuly the latter is looking to be more expensive, but in the long run would it be worth it as i would be potentially saving on buying new floorstanders for the stereo set up?

God damn there is a lot to consider. I havent even done any research on speaker cables and connectors yet!

4. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Where are you? if you're not too far away, you may consider a demo of some of the equipment you have on your short list! We have in our demo rooms the Kefs, Cantons and the AE Aegis Evo 3B setup. Plus the Denon equipment and other setups you might consider.

I Hope this helps and we can be of assistance.

5. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Morning.

Im in North London so probably not too far away. I would like to sample some equipment, i just thought it might be best to get the list down a bit first so that i wouldnt have too many comparisons to sit through.

Also, ive not really had much exeperience with surround sound - are the little speakers really that punchy?! Its hard to imagine just from looking at the size of some of them!

So anyone else have any experience with the speaker packages i have mentioned, particularly the Cantons and Celestions and Elac?

6. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Woah, i just found these on unbeatable: http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_21757.html

I am in love with the design (combination of floorstanding yet still very sleek). Anybody know anything at all about them as i can find virtually nothing on the net.

7. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
  8. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Those look loads like the new mission elegante system!

I've got a mate with the glass floorstanging celestion speakers and the avp303 as surrounds. Basically the system is good, especially for the money. It's not as good as a ful sized system, as even the fronts are mounted eggs, although they are bigger. It's certainly not a huge party system with quite a restrained sound. I ought to play with his sub a little bit more, as that'll help the bass of the fronts loads (they're quite lacking).

EDIT: that sounds terribly negative, it's not meant to be. They're good speakers. You'll not find a nicer looking pair of front speakers anywhere I don't think, although they're not really to my taste as I prefer my huge black towers :D

9. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I would probably advise not going with any Sony speakers. Their prowess really lies in component products, get speakers from dedicated speaker manufacturers. In return you will get better sound for the money.

I am interested in the Cantons, so if you do get to demo them at Kent Home Cinema I would like to know what you think.

Cheers,

Mark.

10. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Forgot to mention that I got my 305's from unbeatable and they delivered them in 2 days!!! Had no problems and richer sounds 302's took 3 days! So no complaints from either of those retailers. :thumbsup:

11. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, i was thinking that about the Sonys. Not exatly renowned for speakers, and those did seem a bit cheap, although ver nice looking. Something like that would definitely appeal. I think im ruling out the eggs now cos i just dont think they would look that great alongside a bit rectangular plasma (personal opinion obviously).

Cheers for the advice on the Celestions Banshee - 7 speakers in one room! Does that not feel a bit cluttered, or have you got a very big space?! I read that review and they sound nice. I read another one elsewhere though (cant remember the link, but it was another magazine) that claimed the cable inputs were a bit small and not of the highest quality, and that the midrange and sub were a bit weak. You experienced any of this with just the AVp305's?

Mevett - if i get a demo of the Cantons, youll be the first to know. Not sure if i will have the time to get over to Kent though and get a demo. They can be had for around 200 online from germany though apparently, so buying them blind might not be the worst thing in the world. Ive read they run at 6 Ohms though - would some amps not have problems with this?

Are there any others that people can think of that resemble the sonys i posted?

12. Flagpole

Flagpole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just had the Yamaha 750 receiver and KEF eggs delivered... AWESOME! Incredible sound compared with the others I listened to. Really clean, crisp and ever so pleased with them. Can't recommend them enough!

13. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    My Room isn't that big but the 305's are up against the wall and have wicked little swivels so you can position them just how you want so they take up no space on the floor. The sub is fine. With some tweaking it makes the walls shake. I'm sure all the bigger sun owners will say its crap but if you have a small room and neighbours then the sub is fine. I can't find anything wrong with it. About the cable inputs. They are fine. I had trouble to get the cable into my amp but not the speakers.

14. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Flagpole: Cheers, im just still not convinced they are in keeping in terms of looks with a nice minimal plasma. Big round eggs next to a nice sleek slab of screen :D

15. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Marmite,

I am going to be pairing the Cantons with the Yamaha RX-V650. I spoke to Yamaha about this pairing and they said -

'This will be no problem for the Yamaha, there is loads of drive current
    available on this product so it can easily drive 4 or 6 ohm speakers.

Regards,
    Paul Davey

Yamaha Electronics (UK) Ltd
    www.yamaha-audio.co.uk'

Can't wait!

Cheers,

Mark.

16. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Let me know how it goes with the Cantons then.

New idea - how about if i bought three speakers for the front (say two floorstanders with a matching centre) so that i could still do decent stereo, and then added 2 kef eggs to the back? Would this potentially work ok?

17. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Let me know how it goes with the Cantons then.

New idea - how about if i bought three speakers for the front (say two floorstanders with a matching centre) so that i could still do decent stereo, and then added 2 kef eggs to the back? Would this potentially work ok?