• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New speakers time - Proac Response DT8, any good?

craig808

Hi all

I currently own some MA Silver 8's and am looking to upgrade.

Looking at the Proac Response DT8 they seem like a good option but I'm struggling to find much info on them.

Has anyone on here used/got them and if so what are your thoughts. I've also been looking at MA 300's and KEF R5's. The MA's have great reviews, are an improvement over the Silver 8's and a very good price. Are the DT8's worth the extra £1000 ?

They will be used with a Lyngdorf 2170

Cheers
Craig

Orobas

Very nice speaker the DT8 .. the "Response" is the full name of the DT8.

Very full mid range with poor vertical treble dispersion though.. you'll need a low chair to get on the level with the tweeter given the D'appolito configuration. Bass.. fairly flat with a good reach but it can saturate quite quickly. I'm not a great fan of SEAS mid/midbass cones to be honest but that is just my own view

Loading on an amp... its pretty flat line 4ohm with a minor dip to 3.3.. nothing the Lyngdorf cant handle.

It's down to whether you like that forward mid or not really with the DT8... an audition is a must with these speakers. do not take our personal views with this curious speaker as gospel.

At the £2,300 price point though of the DT8 .. you can do alot better to mate with that Lygndorf as they are sandwiched between that beautiful Neat SX1 and the mighty Spendor A4 !

Last edited:

craig808

Very nice speaker the DT8 .. the "Response" is the full name of the DT8.

Very full mid range with poor vertical treble dispersion though.. you'll need a low chair to get on the level with the tweeter given the D'appolito configuration. Bass.. fairly flat with a good reach but it can saturate quite quickly. I'm not a great fan of SEAS mid/midbass cones to be honest but that is just my own view

Loading on an amp... its pretty flat line 4ohm with a minor dip to 3.3.. nothing the Lyngdorf cant handle.

It's down to whether you like that forward mid or not really with the DT8... an audition is a must with these speakers. do not take our personal views with this curious speaker as gospel.

At the £2,300 price point though of the DT8 .. you can do alot better to mate with that Lygndorf as they are sandwiched between that beautiful Neat SX1 and the mighty Spendor A4 !

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I'd say I like a slightly forward sounding speaker and by what your saving, the DT8 isn't?

I've been meaning to try the A4 but never got around to it. I was goings to demo some this week but the owner has closed for a week. I'll contact him and organise it next week. If I'm honest, the plain look of them has left me a little reserved but obviously that shouldn't really influence my decision!!

Now the Neat SX1 is new to me so I'll see if there's anywhere I can demo them as well.

Orobas

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I'd say I like a slightly forward sounding speaker and by what your saving, the DT8 isn't?

I've been meaning to try the A4 but never got around to it. I was goings to demo some this week but the owner has closed for a week. I'll contact him and organise it next week. If I'm honest, the plain look of them has left me a little reserved but obviously that shouldn't really influence my decision!!

Now the Neat SX1 is new to me so I'll see if there's anywhere I can demo them as well.
The DT8 is an unusual speaker due to the D'Appolito configuration.. that treble gets squashed to a fair flat dispertion. It is mid forward yes.. but that treble is no forward with that driver layout.

It does sound good, dont get me wrong.. but the competition either side is very strong! That SX1 is a lovely sounding speaker but looks weird with that sloped design. is alot lighter in the nether regions than the DT8 but it is far more airy and definately alot more lively!!!

The Spendor.. well.. nothing really to say other than its spendor! .. it doesnt dig particually deep but it is a lovely balanced sound and a dream for an amp to drive.. i think its around 5.8ohms nominal flat!

They each offer something the DT8 cant.. but neither one.. i would say can offer all what the DT8 is missing. The only other thing with that DT8 is.. it needs power to get the best from it.

If you have an Audio T near you .. they should have all 3 in stock :)

DT79

Distinguished Member
I obviously would recommend the Dynaudio Special Forty, but what would be interesting to try is a pair of the new KEF LS50 Meta and 2* Lyngdorf BW-2. About £3,200 all in?

Orobas

I agree with the Special Forty with some heavy duty stands. I didn't mention the standmount side of things as the OP question related to the floorstander. The Lyngdorf will make those Dynaudios sing lovely. Dynaudios are known to be forward and airy.. and thrive on power.. the more you give them, the more they'll expand and play. The Special Forty is unique on the dynaudio market and given the amp you have.. i wouldnt recommend anything cheaper than that or possible the Evoke 20 at a push. Stay clear of the Dynaudio Floorstanders though.. they cannot match their standmounts for quality of sound.

DT79

Distinguished Member
I agree with the Special Forty with some heavy duty stands. I didn't mention the standmount side of things as the OP question related to the floorstander. The Lyngdorf will make those Dynaudios sing lovely. Dynaudios are known to be forward and airy.. and thrive on power.. the more you give them, the more they'll expand and play. The Special Forty is unique on the dynaudio market and given the amp you have.. i wouldnt recommend anything cheaper than that or possible the Evoke 20 at a push. Stay clear of the Dynaudio Floorstanders though.. they cannot match their standmounts for quality of sound.
Yes, I can’t recommend that combo enough.

craig808

I've been looking at the Special 40's, they are highly rated by everyone who listens to them. I must also thank @DT79 who has been answering many of my questions in great detail and persuaded me to jump on board the S40 wagon.

Then came the deciding factor...the wife!!

She does not like the look of stand mounts at all. Apparently, it's her living room as well and she can't stare at something all day that she doesn't like. I'm sure there is some written law that states "man and hifi over-rules wife" o_O

Anyway, to my surprise she has done some digging and asked what is wrong with Spendor D7 floor standers. To start with, the cost...way out of my league.

Then she surprised me again and started looking at 2nd hand models and working out if we sold my current speakers and the spare amp that is no longer in use, that we would only have to put a little towards. I'm not gonna lie, I think she is up to something.

So basically, I now have to try and demo some D7's somewhere. I will also still work on her with regard to S40's.

The journey continues.

DT79

Distinguished Member
I've been looking at the Special 40's, they are highly rated by everyone who listens to them. I must also thank @DT79 who has been answering many of my questions in great detail and persuaded me to jump on board the S40 wagon.

Then came the deciding factor...the wife!!

She does not like the look of stand mounts at all. Apparently, it's her living room as well and she can't stare at something all day that she doesn't like. I'm sure there is some written law that states "man and hifi over-rules wife" o_O

Anyway, to my surprise she has done some digging and asked what is wrong with Spendor D7 floor standers. To start with, the cost...way out of my league.

Then she surprised me again and started looking at 2nd hand models and working out if we sold my current speakers and the spare amp that is no longer in use, that we would only have to put a little towards. I'm not gonna lie, I think she is up to something.

So basically, I now have to try and demo some D7's somewhere. I will also still work on her with regard to S40's.

The journey continues.
I feel your pain. Many a scheme of mine has been thwarted by such vague and specious concepts as 'taste' and 'interior design' and 'where am I supposed to sit?' :laugh:

If I were looking at floor standers (which interestingly my wife doesn't like!), I'd be looking at the Q Acoustics Concept 40, the ATC SCM40 (what is it about the number 40?) and PMC (the 3-way ones).

Nice looking pair of the ATCs on ebay for ~£3k at the moment....

Edit - I meant concept 500 above!

Last edited:

DT79

Distinguished Member
Sorry
That's quite a drop in price from your usual offerings. Very wife friendly :)
Sorry, I was thinking of the concept 500! There’s a review on here.

craig808

The Spendor.. well.. nothing really to say other than its spendor!

I went to demo the D7's yesterday with the intention of bringing them home. From everything that I've read and heard I expected to be blown away.

Surprisingly I wasn't. I felt that they had all the components to create a great sound but didn't particularly excell at anything. I found them to be quite a safe speaker with very little in the way of excitement or fun.

I was quite disappointed as this was not what I expected.

The listening room was quite small and the owner of the speakers said that the speakers were too big for the room and therefore couldn't breath. Not sure how much truth is in that statement.

Orobas

I went to demo the D7's yesterday with the intention of bringing them home. From everything that I've read and heard I expected to be blown away.

Surprisingly I wasn't. I felt that they had all the components to create a great sound but didn't particularly excell at anything. I found them to be quite a safe speaker with very little in the way of excitement or fun.

I was quite disappointed as this was not what I expected.

The listening room was quite small and the owner of the speakers said that the speakers were too big for the room and therefore couldn't breath. Not sure how much truth is in that statement.
The D7 is a beast and needs room and alot better amplification than you have currently. This is why I mentioned the A4... it is in the amps league... the D7 is a 4.5k speaker..... totally different level

craig808

The D7 is a beast and needs room and alot better amplification than you have currently. This is why I mentioned the A4... it is in the amps league... the D7 is a 4.5k speaker..... totally different level

Just to confirm, it wasn't my amp that was being used. However, there's a few people on here who have used the D7's with the 2170 with in their opinion, good results.

I can't see why the 170w Lyngdorf would struggle with the D7's?

Orobas

Just to confirm, it wasn't my amp that was being used. However, there's a few people on here who have used the D7's with the 2170 with in their opinion, good results.

The Lyngdorf 2170 is a good amp, don't get me wrong and it is not the Lyngdorf at fault. The D7 is an unusual one with Spendor when it comes to amps.
Yes you are correct the listening room was set to showcase as much the electronics as opposed to just the speakers which is part reason why they might have come across "safe" .. This is typical so do not let this put you off..

i'd be curious to know what amp/sources they ran and what size the room was to answer that question fully.

The A range is a very different kettle of fish to the D range.. alot more excitable and twitchy.

If i had a D7.. i'd most likely be using it with something like a Sugden, higher end MF or Valve to get the best out of it. Class A amplification.. at that price point.. i would be looking at an amp in the same price market as the speaker.

The D7 also has a much more extended and polished sound to the A range. You may find the A4 a bit lacking in the bass for example or more sharper on the treble.. but that's how things are with price :)

DT79

Distinguished Member

There’s no reason to think it would.

Have you got a dealer(s) near you (can’t remember if you already said) and if so what do they stock?

Steve356

Distinguished Member

As a previous owner of D7s, I have to agree and disagree with your comments.

Yes, agree 100% that they need room to breathe and definitely need to be placed some way away from walls. I struggled to do that in my 6.5m x 3.6m room.

No, the Lyngdorf 2170 and 3400 (that I own) were both highly capable of driving the D7s and were a good match for them, especially with RoomPerfect. I still sold them on as I also found them to be nothing special.

If you want to use prices, although I don't know why this is relevant, the 3400 is a £5K amp and my D7s when I bought them were around £3.75K. So what?

Orobas

I did clearly say the Lyngdorf wasn't at fault on my last post #17.. I meant the D7 deserves better quality. Granted i might not have put it across that way and i apologise if it came across wrong.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
I did clearly say the Lyngdorf wasn't at fault on my last post #17.. I meant the D7 deserves better quality. Granted i might not have put it across that way and i apologise if it came across wrong.

No need for apologies. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just disagree with the 2170 not being sufficient quality for the D7s. I would say that it is more than enough amp for the D7s.

Don't get me wrong, they are a very well made speaker and a traditional design, so you either like the look of them (I did) or you find them bland looking. I had them for 3 years, so they weren't a bad speaker by any stretch of the imagination. They are a very easy load to drive too. Having heard them with a number of different amplifiers, I would agree that they need a quality amp, but that doesn't mean one that costs the same or over the current price of the speakers themselves. That was my only point.

By the way, I've also had A1, A4s and A5Rs in my room for audition over the years and would agree 100% with you that the D7s are a very different beast to the A-Line.

craig808

DT8 made the list (if it means anything, LOL)

I have the Studio 148s (the previous version) and I love it.

I find it quite interesting how many relatively low cost speakers are on the list. It would be good to a/b all of them and see how they stack up against the higher priced offerings.

However, I do take everything that What HiFi says with a pinch of salt!

DT79

Distinguished Member
I find it quite interesting how many relatively low cost speakers are on the list. It would be good to a/b all of them and see how they stack up against the higher priced offerings.

However, I do take everything that What HiFi says with a pinch of salt!
Quite.

Have you tried any Proac speakers? It's brand i've never tried, but they seem to be very good based on what others have said and reviews etc.

craig808

Quite.

Have you tried any Proac speakers? It's brand i've never tried, but they seem to be very good based on what others have said and reviews etc.

No not yet. But there is a Proac dealer fairly local to me so was thinking of giving them a demo.

However, I have just been speaking to @Rob Sinden and he has been educating me on alternatives.

DT79

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom