New speakers need running in?

norge

Well, I was talking to an old friend of mine and we are both fond of cinema systems. As I am thinking to build a new surround, I already bought my speakers. I just heard them once to check them and packed them back in the box....I may use them next year. They are the Aelite series.

Well, he adviced that if you do not use them they might get damaged...I found this silly but better to have an idea from you, if this is after all true. And secondly, do speakers need really about 20 hours running in? For me it seems a joke!

Thanks

Jaap74

Standard Member
it's correct...... unused speakers tend to spontaneously combust :rotfl:

Cable Monkey

Well, I was talking to an old friend of mine and we are both fond of cinema systems. As I am thinking to build a new surround, I already bought my speakers. I just heard them once to check them and packed them back in the box....I may use them next year. They are the Aelite series.

Well, he adviced that if you do not use them they might get damaged...I found this silly but better to have an idea from you, if this is after all true. And secondly, do speakers need really about 20 hours running in? For me it seems a joke!

Thanks
No harm will come to them if simply boxed and stored until you are ready to use them. They will possibly not be at their best when you do come to use them but between 20 and 200 hours of use should see them come on song. That situation is no different to if you used them immediately.

C

Caralfa

If you do store them for more than a month or so in their boxes/packaging, make sure they are stored in a dry, cool atmosphere and when you do start to use them 'run them in' gently ( low volume for a few hours until the cone mountings and surround suspensions have loosened up.
Then you can 'let rip' :D

Sniper

... secondly, do speakers need really about 20 hours running in? For me it seems a joke!

Well - there are some ppl who run in anything - and yes some of the ideas running around are "a joke". But - speakers do benefit from running in (for lack of a better term). If and when you decide to do this, you find yourself in a hurry, then you may wire one of your speakers the wrong way round (out of phase), place the speakers face to face (as close as possible w/o being silly) and let them run at a reasnoable lever for a day (or more!) - that should speed up things nicely!

norge

Thanks for all your replies... so no worries :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom