New speakers for quad vena

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by crystalpixie, Jun 11, 2015.

1. crystalpixie

crystalpixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoping for an opinion on some new speaker choices. Really happy with my Quad Vena and Project debut carbon turntable but my old Kef Q3s are too big for the room. Looking for something neutral I like a music genres and I have about £1k to spend. The Kef LS50s look interesting but they have been around for a while. Any thoughts?

2. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Kef LS50 being a couple of years old isn't a thing to worry about. A good speaker is a good speaker. I have just bought some 15 year old speakers. They sound fantastic.

If you like the Kef sound, there's the R300.

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/hi-fi_series/r_series/fact_sheet/Bookshelf/r300/index.html

With the LS50 they need a bit of power, and a decent amp. So do R300 but they're a bit more efficient so require less power.

With LS50 you may need a subwoofer.

By too big, do you mean physically or there is too much bass? There is a solution to the second one (bass management)

with only 45W I'd look for efficient speakers 90dB.

3. crystalpixie

crystalpixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, due to the room I have the Q3s far too close and it shows with a buzz I never experienced with my old Cyrus amp. I wanted to upgrade the KEFs but go for something smaller.

4. crystalpixie

crystalpixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would my quad Vena be struggling to drive the LS50s?

5. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Speakers don't buzz, sources and amplifiers do. It's possible the Kef Q3 are more efficient then noise floor of source/amplifier is appearing louder. ie background hiss will appear louder on efficient horn speakers.

The Kef Q3 are a easier load, and easier to drive than the Kef LS50. 5/6 ohm, and 89dB sensitivity.

KEF iQ3 review | TechRadar

You need to demo LS50's yourself in your room.

6. crystalpixie

crystalpixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks. I have had the Q3s for so long that the choice seems a little daunting!

7. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    However since you're close to the speakers you may be fine.

8. crystalpixie

crystalpixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had some Sonus Faber Toy floorstanders recommended to me. Does anyone know if they are any good. It's not a company I have heard of before.

9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,310
    There are many good preforming Bookshelf Speakers, but you have to choose wisely.

The Kef LS50 is stunningly clear and life-like ...but, while perceived bass is good, the rated bass is so-so. The Rated Bass is 79hz at -3db, and 47hz at -6db. The 47hz is only a bit off from other 130mm (5.25") drivers, and actually a bit better than some. The current price on the Kef LS50 is about £800/pr, so well within your budget.

Flagship Hi-Fi Speakers - LS50 - Fact Sheet - LS50 - LS50 - KEF United Kingdom

The LS50 really is an award winning speaker including "Product of the Year",
    "Best of Class" -

Flagship Hi-Fi Speakers - LS50 - Awards and Reviews - LS50 - KEF United Kingdom

The Bowers-Wilkins CM5 is also a worthy speakers, though I would say a bit more laid back than the LS50. Rated bass is 50hz at -3db, and -45hz at -6db. Priced at about £945/pr.

Experience the B&W CM5 S2 - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers

Equally, I would expect good results from the FOCAL Aria 906 (£758/pr), rated bass at 55hz at -3db, 47hz at -6db. I would guess that the Focal are between the Kef and the CM. The Kef seem a bit forward, the CM seem a bit laid back, the Focal have good presence and good clarity, but neither forward or laid back.

Aria 906 - Focal

Though of limited value, there is a video of the Kef LS50, even on modest speakers you should be able to hear that these are crystal clear and very lifelike. You can also tell from the low -6db spec that the Kef LS50 are no much different from other speakers in the same class.

KEF LS50 Review, part 2, Listening Sessions...

Any tonal distortion you might hear is most certainly the limitations of the Microphone and from the limitations of YouTube videos. On my system I head clear piano, life-like snap of the drums, and clear female vocals. When the song switches to a cello, you can hear every detailed vibration of the cello strings.

This is also a pretty fair video demo of the Kef LS50 -

KEF LS50 SPEAKERS - Click Link Below for more...

Again there are limits to the quality of the recording microphone and definitely of YouTube videos, but this can give you a sense of the potential of the speakers.

In a bookshelf with near floorstanding sound, consider the lower cost Monitor Audio SILVER 2 (£650/pr) with 8" bass drivers. At a rated 50hz, I would expect the -6db to be in the 42hz to 45hz range.

Silver 2 | Monitor Audio

I believe the KEF R300 (£1000/pr) was mentioned, while a bookshelf it is still a 3-way speakers. 50hz at -3db, 42hz at -6db.

Hi-Fi Speakers - R Series - Fact Sheets - Bookshelf - R300 - KEF United Kingdom

The LS50 seem unfailingly accurate, so if you have a bad recording, it is not going to hide it. The flaws in the recording are going to be crystal clear.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  10. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,310
    Topping your budget, but here is a sense of the Kef R300 with Cambridge 851A amps -

CA 851A + SM6 + KEF R300

I think the above might be a bit loud for the camera microphone.

Here is another one, but the choices were lean, still it is something -

KEF R 300 und Accuphase E 303 Soundcheck...

The amp in this last video is a Accuphase 303.

Don't give too much weight to these videos, there are a lot of parameter we can't know or control.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  11. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    I love the little Toys - loads of detail, and despite the bass being a little light compared to larger speakers, they have plenty of texture. The first time I heard the Vena was with the Toy Towers, which is everything the Toys are, but with the bass that the Toys miss.

Try those, the PMC DB1 Gold, KEF LS50, KEF R100, Dali Mentor Menuet, and the Sonus Faber Venere 1.0 too.