new speakers blown :(

tom123456

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ive been very unlucky. I had a kef 5.1 package (kht 1005.2) in about a week one of them blew.
I took them back and got a pair of morduant short 902i's and a tangent sub, now 8 days old.
Today ive noticed that my right speaker was crackling i swaped the left and right and its the same speaker still crackling.
Im hoping someone can advise me what to do next :suicide:
Im using a cambridge audio 540r

You must be driving these speakers very hard as the 540R is VERY capable. When you get round to replacing the problem speaker check your settings on the AV amp. I would suggest setting all surround speakers to Small and let the sub do all the work. If you have already done so then possibly hearing aids/Massive disco speakers are called for.

nah
it was the rear right that blown with the kefs
front right with morduants

i have the volume on around -35db
would you recommend kef iq5 floorstanders

I don't think this is going to solve the more consistent problem that you are killing speakers for an as yet unknown reason. Have you changed any setting or similar recently? Was there anything in common in the events between the kef and the 902 blowing?

no
one of the kef just kept popping anytime a big noise went off.
one of the morduants just crackles

Friend has those, and in my opinion they do not sound good at all, no bass.
The 902's are better.
If this is the sub you are using http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TANG-EVO-SUB-BLK then it is not exactly endowed with lots of power, looked at you other thread "I want BOOM".
What are the rest of your speakers (centre/rears), just chopping and changing as you blow them is not the best way forward.
ALSO what speaker cable are you using?

yes thats the sub
no i dont have any rear or centre
im using gale sympothy 200 bi wired

also what would you recommend
im after 2 good speakers that wont blow.
the sub in my opinion is loud enough i have the volume about 2 thirds the way on the sub

For the cost of the Kefs you would be better off getting a system like this. http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4136 and maybe take up the offer of £30 extra for the floorstanders. All of the power that is available to the Cambridge is being ploughed into the two fronts.
Again what speaker cable are you using?
I have the same amp driving a 5.1 system, it too can go to extreme volume levels when needed, but the front speakers are only 75 watt rated Mission speakers, never had a problem.

Cheers for the advice but i dont have room for larger rear speakers as its in a bedroom.
Also richer sounds told me when i returned the kefs that small speakers are no good if im driving them at loud volumes which i do.
So i think 2.1 is the best option £300 is the budget for the pair of speakers and ill keep the sub.
Could you recommend anything?

So the bedroom is small, you need as I have guessed speakers that can do loud volumes, well floorstanders in a confined space is not a good move, you had the best around in my opinion the 902's. But you need to get that power shared and there is always a way. Sugest getting rears and centre as this will add to the overall power and SHARE the extreme volumes you like.

I would look for something like this in the rear http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4006 and this for the centre http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=MORD-905I-AVANT-BLK then the key speaker becomes the centre and will give a far better overall balance to the system.
If you want weight in the front and not prepared to compromise on 2.1 then look at these http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/monitor_audio_br2.shtml my son has these and they do produce.
BUT I will ask the question again "WHAT SPEAKER CABLE ARE YOU USING"

Ops! sorry did not pick up on the speaker wire, I'll keep quiet on that. Anyway the wire will not be causing any problems, it is just that some people think they can get away with using bell wire connected to floorstanders, great if you do not mind a resistive path for the sound.

As AngelEyes says - very important. I also have medium size floorstanders and have got through two main drivers by leaving them set to large in the amp. I've learnt my lesson.

It's not so important with music is a 2.0 system as it's easy to tell the onset of clipping/distortion, but with a 5.1 movie set-up, even average volume together with the output from a sub can mask the collapse of a driver cone until it's too late...

:thumbsup:

Well i had them set to large but thats what the shop told me with the morduants.
I returned the morduants them last night and they recommended 2 celestion f30s for loud volumes
and keep with the sub which i did.
Cheers for the advice

Didn't you already post on this when your KEFs were popping before they blew? Set the bass on the amp to 0. If you don't have enough exxaggerated bass in the system, replace the sub with one that's designed to produce massive overblown artificial explosive bass. Trying to get such bass from your ordinary speakers will merely destroy them.

what settings would you recommend i have with:
Cambridge audio 540r
pair of celestion f30s
tangent sub
as i dont want these to blow and im not exactly sure about whats best

I think someone might have touched on this earlier, but imo, you're trying to supplement a sub which hasnt got enough grunt, with your speakers.

If you're not happy with the low end effects, upgrade the sub when budget permits.

I'm not sure if the 540R has a pure direct mode for music, but if so, it should bypass bass management (and sub out) and allow you to use the F30s full range for music. While they might be floorstanders, the drivers are still relatively small.

For HT, I would definitely set the speakers to small, and let the Tangent Sub handle the bass and as someone suggested, adding the centres/rears. This will increase the apparent loudness and the enjoyment of the film!

Have you tried relocating the sub to see if positioning helps?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom