1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Speakers and Dialogue.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jstn, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Jstn

Jstn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new pair of Tannoy MX2-Ms for the fronts (no centre yet). I'm a bit dissapointed tho' because I was playing about and my old Tannoy M1s produce a slightly clearer dialogue if I put them as the fronts instead.

I THINK the problem with the dialogue maybe a lack of high frequency response. The dailogue seems a bit base'y and so bleeds into the surrounding effects, it lacks the edge that gives it clarity, I'm thinking you get that from the higher frequencies. Do they just need to be run in or is there a problem, they got 5 star in What hifi? so I can't imagine that they are bad. Does this sound like something that will improve after they are run in for a bit?

2. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ya,

First things are first; really, you need a centre channel that will almost dedicate itself to dealing with dialogue in movies. By just using a stereo pair, all the front sound effects and dialogue are going through them two speakers so it will sound a little odd.

Secondly, find out if your speakers are designed for use as a centre speaker. Not all stereo speakers make good vocal reproducers.

3. Jstn

Jstn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers are part of the Tannoy MXM series which I think is designed with Home Cinema in mind (the manual has a lot of instructions for connecting them up to a HC system). Yes I do need a Centre speaker I'm going to get the Tannoy MXC-M (dedicated centre) but I cant afford it at the moment.

Since its supposed to be designed for home cinema is should be good, which is why I'm wondering about why the dialogue is a little non-distinct.

I was thinking it was just because they are brand new and need a bit a running in, is this not the case?

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm not too surprised. I have always found difficulties with dialogue in "phantom" mode (I just tried switching my Kef Qs to that mode and its the same story). A dedicated centre is IMHO a must have (others will disagree as is their perogative), Which colour MX2s did you go for? It may be that you can get away with an MXC rather than the MXC-M and save yourself a tidy wodge. Peter Tyson sell the MXC for about £80 + p&p (from chatting to them recently when I upgraded from Tannoy MX1s, they didn't think there was really much diference between the old and the new MX speakers).

I don't think running in is an issue. Are your old Tannoys magnetically shielded - you could use one of those as a centre to see if that improves matters.

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe the new speakers are more sensitive to placement, try them farther from walls and furniture, toe-in, etc...

6. Jstn

Jstn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a look and the MXC and MXC-M are the same price give or take 4 quid and I went for cherry so to match the MXC-M would be better.

And no the M1 are not magnettically shielded unfortunatley.

Why are my old M1 better at the dialogue tho'. Even connecting the Mx2-M as a centre I can still tell that the dialogue is a little fuzzy. Both the same make, both award winners, what happening?

My second worry is that the MXC(M) is from the same range so will it sound the same as my MX2-Ms and I'll have the same problem.