New speakers again B&W 607 anniversary edition ?

Helix Hifi

Think you misunderstood my post Helix, I wasn't suggesting gasoline move up to floorstanders as I don't think he has the space, but I did suggest he may have to go with a physically bigger speaker and think he doesn't want to spend more than £600 from what I gather which is why I suggested SH Focal Aria 906, they are probably the nicest sounding speaker I've ever heard for under £1000.
My bad then. Yes, the Focal speakers sure look nice. But since he has tried Dynaudio, B&W, Dali before, I really think the Rotel amplifier is to blame. My opinion of course. Or room issues, listing taste. Rotel has a tendency to sound thin in the sound, but very dynamic and punchy in the bass. So that is Rotel’s strong point. I also read he thought Marantz sounded very thin, bright with the speakers he tried. That to me sound very strange. I really hope finds the correct speakers he likes, hopefully before the Easter kicks in. Nothing like listening to some music during the Easter holidays. Good luck @gasolin.

gasolin

I haven't considered the oberon 3 which some say are bright without the covers on ( i have no doubt that oberon will sound like a typical pair of dali speaker)

Manly because they are a little expensive and i have gotten something unfortunately i somehow have to spend most of my money on

Oberon 3

RB42

OoO

We don't have something like micca or dayton where i live because if i could get a pair of Micca OoO or what ever zeos has reviewed that he thinks is good (he also loves the micca rb42) for $100 for a pair, than i have something for my tv and something for my hifi/pc until at find something alot better and more expensive.

I will than when it's easier to go to the nearest big town when most are vaccinated and can have alot more freedom, i wil then try to listen to alot of speakers.

I need something decent i can afford atm and not try desperately to buy another 400-500-600 euro expensive pair of speakers without listen to them.

I choose dali speaktor 1, cheap 188 euros for a pair, for 100 dollars you can get something more than decent speakers (se video), same sensitivity as my 607's which according to asr is 83db, i play loud enough for me to hear music everywhere in the appartment i live in (but 87-90 db real sensitivity is more fun), good reviews both on youtube and generally they get good reviews (not many but there is some), just big enough so i can use them with my isoacoustics 135 stands (the speakers are 140mm wide).

Not to much bass (i guess) and sensitivty but i have lived with boston a23 86 db, down to 80hz they could at all play loud and bass you only get with a sub (3.5" woofer) in have hear speakers with 4" play alot louder and more and deeper bass(dali spektor 1 4.5").

Dali spektor 1 4.5" woofer -3db 59hz (many speakers don't have the bass they are rated for) 83 db (103db = 100 watt, in 6 ohm i have between 110 and 190 watt peak or between 75 and 105 watt Continuous power )

Last edited:

gasolin

My bad then. Yes, the Focal speakers sure look nice. But since he has tried Dynaudio, B&W, Dali before, I really think the Rotel amplifier is to blame. My opinion of course. Or room issues, listing taste. Rotel has a tendency to sound thin in the sound, but very dynamic and punchy in the bass. So that is Rotel’s strong point. I also read he thought Marantz sounded very thin, bright with the speakers he tried. That to me sound very strange. I really hope finds the correct speakers he likes, hopefully before the Easter kicks in. Nothing like listening to some music during the Easter holidays. Good luck @gasolin.

I havnt't tried Dali,Dynaudio with my Rotel A11 Tribute amp BUT i have owned Dali and Dynaudio speakers including boston a23,25 and 26 just to name something else

Helix Hifi

@gasolin, even though reviews on YouTube are nice to read if you’re planning to buy speakers etc, I still would not put much stock in what they say. Remember it is the reviewer subjective opinion. Dali Oberon 3 does not sound bright in the upper midrange, at least not in my room with my amplifier. And I have listed to the all of the Oberon range at my store with different amplifiers, and they all sounded balanced. B&W on the other hand is more neutral, but they sound a bit ifeless in the vocals. If I for example bough the floor standing range from B&W (700 range) I would use Macintosh to tame the thin midrange. So you’re planning to buy the Dali Spector stand mounted speakers?

Last edited:

Helix Hifi

I been looking at QAcoustic 3050i believe they are called. The floor standing models But my dream speakers is the Spendor A4. But so expensive😞😞😞

Helix Hifi

Yeah lovely speakers but the right SUB I think is key
Yes. Those small stand mounted speakers need a subwoofer. But @gasolin does not want a subwoofer. I’m not sure if the Rotel A11 has bass management build in, if so integrating a subwoofer is much easier then just using the pre outs, which most amplifier have.

gasolin

@gasolin, even though reviews on YouTube are nice to read if you’re planning to buy speakers etc, I still would not put much stock in what they say. Remember it is the reviewer subjective opinion. Dali Oberon 3 does not sound bright in the upper midrange, at least not in my room with my amplifier. And I have listed to the all of the Oberon range at my store with different amplifiers, and they all sounded balanced. B&W on the other hand is more neutral, but they sound a bit ifeless in the vocals. If I for example bough the floor standing range from B&W (700 range) I would use Macintosh to tame the thin midrange. So you’re planning to buy the Dali Spector stand mounted speakers?
Not planing, bought the dali spektor 1

Might also be lowest range speakers from dali like the B&W 607 except for cheap 5.1 or 7.1 systems where the surround speakers cost as much as the spektor 1 or just a little more, they might sound alot better than cheap surround speakers or active speakers for the same price from logitech, edifier do to real wood (i think, not just veneer) not just plastic, thx branded and a loud subwwofer, if frequency isn't perfect i would adjust it a little

Sound quality very good
Laboratory (measurements) good
finish very good

Over all score very good

2021-03-27 17_38_15-DALI SPEKTOR 1_ Review by i-fidelity.net – Google Chrome.png

Last edited:

Helix Hifi

Not planing, bought the dali spektor 1

Might also be lowest range speakers from dali like the B&W 607 except for cheap 5.1 or 7.1 systems where the surround speakers cost as much as the spektor 1 or just a little more, they might sound alot better than cheap surround speakers or active speakers for the same price from logitech, edifier do to real wood (i think, not just veneer) not just plastic, thx branded and a loud subwwofer, if frequency isn't perfect i would adjust it a little

Sound quality very good
Laboratory (measurements) good
finish very good

Over all score very good

View attachment 1483676
Great news. Dali knows how to make good speakers.

gasolin

Great news. Dali knows how to make good speakers.
yes if the highs are not fatiguing

I can't belive the measured the speaker to have that kind of response in the germain review
2021-03-27 20_00_01-Dali Spektor 1_ Seite 4 Labor - i-fidelity.net – Google Chrome.png

Helix Hifi

gasolin

It's just somewhat louder than neutral, which are typical Dali, B&W just don't angel them towards the listening position like dali often recommends

Helix Hifi

B&W recommendation is to toe in the speakers towards the listener as you say. Dali recommendation is not to toe in the speakers. Still depending on listing distance, you may have to toe in the Dali speakers. I toe in my Oberon 5. It helps the sound since you’ll get less reflections from the wall. But as mentioned before I think Dali is not your cup of tea. Perhaps try Monitor Audio, Kef speakers. I do think they have some speakers in the same price class as B&W 607.

Helix Hifi

KEF Q350, or Monitor Audio Silver 50. Kef has the advantage because the driver operates like true point source. KEF Q350 cost around the same as the B&W 607.

gasolin

Like audiovector i hate the logo on the top, i don't know why they have to be so prominent, trickers some ocd

Zeos pantera say the kef q 350 has to sharp highs and to much, have to angle them so they cross infront of him, to avoid to much sharpness, highs

A pair of Monitor Audio Silver 50 cost more than a pair of B&W 606 anniversary edition and as much as 2 pair of dali oberon 1

B&W 607 AE i have to return with in 30 day so i just can't buy expensive speakers before i send them back without listening to them BUT i need and want speakers i can listen to for the time im waiting for the country to be more normal all shops to be open, less restrictions so i can go out and listen to speakers, dali,B&W argon,klipsch,monitor audio,polk audio,q acoustics,Fyne Audio,elac,kef Q150, rega kyte.

The dali spektor 1 may not be perfect but could be one of the best new ultra compact speakers for under €200

Helix Hifi

Yes, wait until the world is back to normal. If you always listen to what reviewers says-we’ll then you’ll never find the correct speakers that you like. And speaking of measurement you can get different results if you adjust the microphone far away from the speakers etc. I’m no expert in that arena, but that is what i read online. But usually when buying new speakers I listen with my ears, and not a measurement graph😉.

Helix Hifi

@gasolin, after living with the Spector speakers awhile. Do you feel they are getting better after some break in? And I’m wondering even though you don’t want to change the Rotel, then perhaps borrow an amplifier from a fried might change your sound perceptive.

gasolin

Speaker reciewed they seem a little less sensitive than B&W 607 A E despite not more than 1,5 db (asr 83db for the 607 and a germain review 81.6d)

Finish is good for the price, same good binding post as all dali speakers

Highs: are not as loud and as metallic as expected (not angled), not even at high levels,better than dali zensor 1 (loud and fatiguing), i think there is the details you need but it's not a ribbon tweeter.

Mids: Not aggressivenes, easy to hear the midrange

Bass: there is actually bass, good for a super compact bookshelf speaker and if neighbours under and above you don't like logitech thx subwoofer bass, they will like the speakers. Of course it's more midbass than deep bass but on the good recording theres is actually normal level of bass, paul simon 50 ways to leave your lover (the song) sounds thight and dynamic at high levels.
Don't here any noise from the bass

Sound is more to the open and clear side than warm and jazzy

You can hear it's small speakers (bass) but also that they sound bigger than there size, wide sound and loud enough for most people who aren't teenager or 70-80 year old rock musician that started in the 60-70's (roling stones, the who, zz top,metallica, black sabbath).

Something like Van Morrison There Chords And The Truth and Chuck Manione Feels So Good (good bass) that same can be said about george benson giv me the night, never give up on a good thing, just about all song on the ultimate collection has a good bass, sounds good, bill withers just as i am is also approved (the ain't no shunshine record).

Sammy davis jr + carmen McRae porky and bess still sounds above avarage good, do i have to mention frank sinatra also sounds sounds good, because he does

Mark Knopfler Boom, Like That and on every street (dire straits) sounds great at 70 out on 100 on the volume, best ever music to use for testing hifi (mark knopfler,dire straits), the speakers shine when the get some clean juice, they might in turns of power outshine the Harbeth P3ESR rated at 82 db and 50 watt power handling.

There is this foot tapping effect

Power: My Rotel a11 tribute is measured to have 2x75 watt, 105watt peak in 8 ohm and 2x105 watt and 190 watt peak in 4 ohm, i wouldn't use less than that and amps like nad c352,c356bee, Marantz PM8006,nad c 368, yamaha a-s501 (only in turns of power) in the mid 60's out og 100 it's loud, 70 they can handle and also 80 without any distortion, i wouldn't try playing louder than 80

I wouldn't use something like a nad D3020,cambridge AXA35, marantz PMA5005,Rega IO if you sometimes want's to play a little loud, altleast twice the power or above 100 watt peak pr channel in 8 ohm

What hifi rewarded the Wharfedale Diamond 220 5 starts as well as The Dali Spektor 1, i would have the spektor 1 over the diamond 220 any day, they sound more engaging in the highs not restrained and boring AND they sounds as if they have bass which the diamond 220 doesn't have, lack a little.

Im having a blast listening to the Danish trio The beatophonics (60's genre) in the late 60 to mid
70´s on the volume, the speakers are truely impressive, for the last 2-3 hours i have don't nothing but listen to music on my desk with the speaker on each side of my 27" monitor (not even gone to the bathroom or got something to eat).

Better than B&W 607 Anniversary Edition, they are for shure to me more impressive, less than 3kg each, rated at 83 db (measured in one review to 8.16db) recommended power 40-100 watt, max rated spl 103db, they are rated just under 60hz+/- 3db, 4.5" woofer under 200 euros for a pair, white.

If the Dali oberon 1 has more and deeper bass,higher sensitivity,more details in the highs and just sounds noticeable better (not just a little different), im gonna buy me a pair.

Last edited:

Mtache1212

Novice Member
I had my B&W 683 s2 speakers straight for about 3 months. I toed it in and saw a big difference. I think it was because my listening position is relatively close (12ft) from the speakers. If I had a bigger room I definitely would consider a different orientation. It's always fun to play around as speaker placement has such a big impact on sound (think free gear)!! But I use a room correction software so I have to update it each time I move my speakers (or I should at least).

password1

Distinguished Member
I had a pair of B&W 607 good speakers, i wanted better sound because of my amp made it all sound alot better, audiovector QR 1, not perfect (front bass port and a little big), mabye a little borring, now system audio saxo 5 88 db and max 150 watt should be enough, right.

At 70 out of 100 playing electronic music like this theres something with the bass i don't like, midrange sounds fine, theres a wide soundstage with a good depth and not to much highs although it's to the lively side. I sometimes get this lack off control, wanting a litte more precise bass playing loud, then i looked at the bass at high levels, 70 on my rotel a11 tribute, the bass is moving quite alot, not really distorting, my amp can got to 80 on the volume without any distortion pretty much with ever gener of music i like but i don't want to challenge my current speakers at the level with music like in the youtube link.

At low levels the bass is slim, a little thin, a little better at higher levels but considering what i had in the past the bass is lacking a little punchiness, not alot just a little deeper and punchier + it's should be able to handle the amp at levels up to 80 out 100, my B&W 607 could do that although it's just not the most loud speaker (rated at 84db).

I do like the sligtly wider and deeper sound from the saxo 5's compared to B&W 607 S1

Questions, the last 1-2 weeks i have seen some threads about B&W 607,606 where they where dissapointed about the speakers and wondered why, what are the reasons why you where dissapointed about the B&W 607,606 (both version) ?

I did buy my saxo 5's with buy and try for 30 days so if i don't like them they sent me a return label (mail) and i get all of my money back

I do want something that can handle a little more power than my current speakers and mabye more bass (combination of deeper and less flat bass)

One speaker i have though about is the B&W 607 anniversary edition since it's got an improved tweeter over the first generation 607

I don't want big speakers, i think the B&W 606 are a little to big for me and my desk
Sounds like pair of qa concept 40s would solve all those issues you describe.

gasolin

I already upgraded again.

I don't have the space for concept 40's on my desk

gasolin

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR