New speakers again B&W 607 anniversary edition ?

gasolin

I had a pair of B&W 607 good speakers, i wanted better sound because of my amp made it all sound alot better, audiovector QR 1, not perfect (front bass port and a little big), mabye a little borring, now system audio saxo 5 88 db and max 150 watt should be enough, right.

At 70 out of 100 playing electronic music like this theres something with the bass i don't like, midrange sounds fine, theres a wide soundstage with a good depth and not to much highs although it's to the lively side. I sometimes get this lack off control, wanting a litte more precise bass playing loud, then i looked at the bass at high levels, 70 on my rotel a11 tribute, the bass is moving quite alot, not really distorting, my amp can got to 80 on the volume without any distortion pretty much with ever gener of music i like but i don't want to challenge my current speakers at the level with music like in the youtube link.

At low levels the bass is slim, a little thin, a little better at higher levels but considering what i had in the past the bass is lacking a little punchiness, not alot just a little deeper and punchier + it's should be able to handle the amp at levels up to 80 out 100, my B&W 607 could do that although it's just not the most loud speaker (rated at 84db).

I do like the sligtly wider and deeper sound from the saxo 5's compared to B&W 607 S1

Questions, the last 1-2 weeks i have seen some threads about B&W 607,606 where they where dissapointed about the speakers and wondered why, what are the reasons why you where dissapointed about the B&W 607,606 (both version) ?

I did buy my saxo 5's with buy and try for 30 days so if i don't like them they sent me a return label (mail) and i get all of my money back

I do want something that can handle a little more power than my current speakers and mabye more bass (combination of deeper and less flat bass)

One speaker i have though about is the B&W 607 anniversary edition since it's got an improved tweeter over the first generation 607

I don't want big speakers, i think the B&W 606 are a little to big for me and my desk

Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I think you are starting to get to the limits of Hoffman's Iron Law with what you are looking for -

The Main Law paraphrased is - "For a given size of speaker, you can have low end extension, high efficiency, or small enclosure size. Pick two."

Add to this, dynamic speakers typically have high sensitivity, by way of light cones which then limits bass depth (lower frequency) and that "live" feeling typically comes from closed boxes with lots of cone area (look at the old JBL 10" monkey coffins).

Here's a DIY speaker that is designed to produced such a feeling and tailored to rock music - Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Pages - Tarkus

Finally, at lower listening levels the ear is less sensitive to the low and high frequencies and so bass will seem to diminish with lower listening levels, his is why the "loudness" buttons were added to amps which boost the high and low frequencies when listening at low volumes.

At some point you need to decide which of these three attributes is the most highly prized and then trade the other two off or bit the bullet and add a subwoofer.

If you can get to listen to a pair of PMC Twenty.21 the this may give you some ideas with the transmission line design that boost bass response, second hand may just about be in budget. And if you want to compare try and get a listen to the ATC SCM11 which is a sealed box design, the f3 number is higher but the bass roll off slower and more natural.

Last edited:

gasolin

i don't want and need a subwoofer

It's no so much about ear sensitivity at low levels, the speakers i have atm is just not that bass heavy at low levels and lacks a little control extra punchiness at low levels, not more that one x bigger sized woofer would do it or just a different speakers

D

Deleted member 824153

Didn’t you have a pair of 607s not so long ago?

gasolin

Yes i did as already mentioned

I wanted to change to something better since my rotel a11 tribute made such a big difference

D

Deleted member 824153

So you had 607s, changed them, and you’re now thinking about the 607 S2?

gasolin

Yes but it doesn't have to those speakers

I then wanted today to know why some are dissapointed about the speakers both 607,606 first version an anniversary edition.

D

Deleted member 824153

My friend has just received some 606 S2 and he is raving about them. He says they are something very special indeed.

Onlythesound

I have a pair of 606s and can only praise them. Throughout the frequency range they are pleasing and not harsh. Nor do they ‘Bass bloat’. I think the key to so much of this is not only setting up your room but also fiddling around a lot with your speaker placement etc until you get your optimum position.

gasolin

First version 606 or the anniversary edition ? SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - NRC Measurements: Bowers & Wilkins 606 Loudspeakers

606 s1
fr_listeningwindow[1].png

gasolin

okay, whathifi say theres a big difference between the first and second edition

gasolin

I ordered a pair of B&W 607 anniversary edition, rear bass port, it can handle the power my amp has , good bass, no holes in the front for the grill, not to big,not to expensive (still 50% more than i payed for the 607 first version, outlet), bass and highs should sound noticeable better according to whathifi

gasolin

I hoped for something even better but kef ls 50 meta doesn't have to much bass and is expensive, Harbeth p3esr even more expensive + 65% or more and i couldn't find a place where i could get them on a mothly payment plan, also very low sensitivity and as low as 50w power handling, enough for broadcasting , making tv but not for loud music so they wasn't an option, despite that one of the best mini monitors, where high end starts together with kef ls50 meta, dynaudio emit m10 not to much bass with normal rock,pop music also a little bright, dynaudio evoke 10 a little bright and also a little bass light, low sensitivity and expensive (above the kef ls 50 meta)

B&W 607 anniversary edition, only cons a little low sensitivity but can handle the power my amp has and can be a little to bright at high levels but should be better than the first version, generally the highs are not to bad, low price

gasolin

You just realize, if what you had is good or not so good when you try something else

Last edited:

Onlythesound

This is so true. Over the years I’ve tried and enjoyed all sorts of different combinations of equipment. With what I have now, I set myself a strict budget and avoided the temptation to spend silly money - that was back when I married a pair of Anthony Gallo ref 3.1s to a Musical Fidelity M6i. They were certainly good but were they worth (in sonic terms) the £7000 more than I paid for my current set up....? Probably not. I still say my favourite speakers were my Jamo Concert 8s. £1400 back in 1997 .

Attachments

• 58F8F272-87C7-414C-8543-B94C6EF9CFF5.jpeg
    58F8F272-87C7-414C-8543-B94C6EF9CFF5.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 31

Helix Hifi

I ordered a pair of B&W 607 anniversary edition, rear bass port, it can handle the power my amp has , good bass, no holes in the front for the grill, not to big,not to expensive (still 50% more than i payed for the 607 first version, outlet), bass and highs should sound noticeable better according to whathifi
Are you happy with the the 607? B&W is very respected in the hifi community. But I think they can be shrill in the upper midrange, treble can also act that way. But I know they can be fabulous with the right amplifier. What amplifier do you use?

gasolin

Rotel A11 tribute (my specs are updated)

gasolin

Speakers recieved 10 min ago

gasolin

Ask if you wanna know more

gasolin

need some burn in but there is a noticeable difference in sensitivity between the last pair of speakers i used and the 607 s2 anniversary edition

gasolin

Just different sensitivity, 3 db is noticeable

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR