New speaker upgrade recommendation advice

mpoc

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading our system an I think I have decision on the amp and tv. However I would like to upgrade the speaker system To Atmos.
The existing speaker set up is as follows:
Front speakers B&W FPM4 (3 no) centre at 2m hight left and right 1.7m height as tv but located behind in alcoves
Sub woofer B&W PV1
1 pair of ceiling speakers B&W CCM636 (0.75m from back wall inset 0.54m

Room size - 3.75 wide x 4.0 deep plus 0.8 bay
ceiling height 2.6 m

I have a rough option list with increasing costs my current budget estimate is around 1k-2k
Option 1 Repurpose or replace ceiling speakers for Atmos and add a pair of rear speakers to give 5.1.2
Option 2 As 1 with additional 2 being speakers
Option 3 As 1 with either 1 or 2 new Subwoofers
Option 4 complete replacement needs to be aesthetically approved and no room for front floor mount solutions.

Could I repurpose the B&W speakers in any of the options?
Your thoughts and recommendations very much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Mike

If you can move your couch freely then you could get 5.1.2 or perhaps 5.1.4 system, with the latter just adding another pair slightly in front of listeners using the ones you have behind you. You see the placements and angles on each link, scroll them down to see it from another view.

Then of course you need surround sides around seated ear height placed at the sides or slightly back sides. Not directly behind (narrow) if possible. Again you see the recommended angles for them in the links.

PV1 is known from amp failures and more suited for hifi system as the performance drops below 40hz quite noticeably. So subwoofer upgrade is definitely on cards at some point if you crave more impact and deep bass. For av-receiver with Atmos 7.2 or 9.2 you are going to need 600£ (5.1.2) or 1k£ (5.1.4). So example Denon X2700H and Denon X3700H. Bad time to buy receiver as the prices are highest atm, but if you are in hurry then you got to go forward.

Many thanks, would you have recommendations for the speaker substitutes to research. The budget is currently for the speakers. Good to know that the receivers about the speakers. I guess there is an increased demand due to lockdown.

Well another pair of FPM4/5/6 (used) if you wall mount the surround sides and look for slim option. If not then you have more options. I guess B&W M1 is option too. Ideally you would have the surround speakers little bit further away, not by the couch if possible.

If you go with 5.1.4 (using the ones you have as the rear pair) then another pair of 636 ceiling speakers slightly in front of listeners, but if you can´t find them anywhere then the new version of it. Contact B&W Uk and ask which would be closest.

Thats good to know that the existing speakers still have a useful life in them. Im thinking a second sub behind the couch which would edge the coach forward and the a pair of speakers new the rear corner or possible on the back wall.
I'll get some graph paper out and start plotting best positions based on the Dolby advise.

Dear Gasp
Many thanks for the B&W support link. They have been very helpful.
I am going to replace the existing ceiling speakers (CCM636) with CCM663. The existing location is not ideal (0.5m from back wall) but will relocate and add an addition pair when the next redecoration is planned.
They recommended FPM2 Series for the two rears which I am now on the hunt for.
A couple of alternatives for the sub DB4S or 2 of the more compact ASW608 subwoofers. I do some background reading on these.

Dear Gasp
Many thanks for the B&W support link. They have been very helpful.
I am going to replace the existing ceiling speakers (CCM636) with CCM663. The existing location is not ideal (0.5m from back wall) but will relocate and add an addition pair when the next redecoration is planned.
They recommended FPM2 Series for the two rears which I am now on the hunt for.
A couple of alternatives for the sub DB4S or 2 of the more compact ASW608 subwoofers. I do some background reading on these.

Great! You don´t need to purchase B&W sub as there is no requirements to match the woofer with speakers! DB4S is fine sub, but overpriced! ASW608 is not something i would consider, too small lacks extension for movies and the 600 serie subs have had amp issues for years. B&W also have only 2year amp warranty which is shame considering what one needs to pay.

You should consider these brands and models over B&W, they are specialized in woofers and offer great performance, sound quality, long 5y amp warranty, superb support & service.

• SVS SB2000 Pro or SB3000 (black oak, gloss black, gloss white)
  • Arendal 1961 1S
  • Arendal 1723 1S

Great! You don´t need to purchase B&W sub as there is no requirements to match the woofer with speakers! DB4S is fine sub, but overpriced! ASW608 is not something i would consider, too small lacks extension for movies and the 600 serie subs have had amp issues for years. B&W also have only 2year amp warranty which is shame considering what one needs to pay.

You should consider these brands and models over B&W, they are specialized in woofers and offer great performance, sound quality, long 5y amp warranty, superb support & service.

• Arendal 1961 1S
  • Arendal 1723 1S

Brilliant that helps narrow down my decision making and gives me a route forward. Thanks once again Gasp

• Arendal 1961 1S
  • Arendal 1723 1S

Would you have any thoughts on replacing the being speakers (CCM636 with CCM663) or using them in tandem?

Would you have any thoughts on replacing the being speakers (CCM636 with CCM663) or using them in tandem?

If they are fairly similar you should be able to use them together if you opt for 5.1.4 system. Both coming from B&W and 600 range so likely you will be more than fine.

I know this is slightly off topic but I need help. I just moved into a house full of B&W CCM636 speakers in the ceiling and when I popped a couple of the grilles off there was a paper like disc inside. Is this supposed to be there? I have googled speaker cloths etc and can't seem to find what they are! Thanks for any info.

I know this is slightly off topic but I need help. I just moved into a house full of B&W CCM636 speakers in the ceiling and when I popped a couple of the grilles off there was a paper like disc inside. Is this supposed to be there? I have googled speaker cloths etc and can't seem to find what they are! Thanks for any info.

Is it the part which is used when cutting the holes to ceiling? Perhaps better to upload picture so members see what you mean.

Is it the part which is used when cutting the holes to ceiling? Perhaps better to upload picture so members see what you mean.
No it's not the template it's like a paper/cloth fabric, thanks for replying I've attached photos

Attachments

• 16171368826301651989437050238696.jpg
    16171368826301651989437050238696.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 16171369053634121314993832188780.jpg
    16171369053634121314993832188780.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 42
You should only have the front mask on when you play them, no fabric/paper in front of drivers. :confused: Not sure why the installer has put them there..

You should only have the front mask on when you play them, no fabric/paper in front of drivers. :confused: Not sure why the installer has put them there..
Ahhh...Is that for painting only?

The sound is so much clearer now. Before it was very muffled. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Thankyou.

The sound is so much clearer now. Before it was very muffled. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Thankyou.

Hah, good! Better to run your receivers auto setup again now that the drivers are "visible". :)

Can't thank you enough. It's a multi room sound system and every speaker has this cloth in it. The previous owner has had this for 12 years. So much better now thankyou! 🙌🏻

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom