Question New speaker recommendations please

MaryWhitehouse

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

My MA BX2’s have moved into my AV setup so I’m starting to look for replacements.
My room is around 5m square with high ceiling. Acoustically behaves quite well with no obvious problems.
Sources and amp staying the same. Those being BDP-LX71 playing cd’s (50% of the time), vinyl 25% and streaming from Apple Music via Airport Express 25%. Amp is an elderly but lovely Pioneer VSA-E08 which was running the BX2’s as bi-amp.
Music is a mix from The Darkness to Jamiroquai and Fleetwood Mac. So quite varied.
I’m open to most ideas. I’m considering bookshelves, floorstanders, maybe a sub to support smaller speakers? I enjoyed the BX2’s in this room and could drive them hard but if I had a criticism it was the bass was a little lacking.
Budget I hope is £500 and I’m very happy to consider secondhand if it can get to Aberdeenshire! Obviously at the moment I can’t demo anything :(

bookshelf or floorstanders?

any colour or finish preferences?

space constraints?

music type?

av setup means surround so are you looking for stereo or 5.2 or 5.1 setup?

Mission qx2

Fyne Audio F302

IMG_20200616_215801.jpg

What recommends those?

If stand mounted I’ve got Atacama stands already to give them a fighting chance.

As pw says the Missions are a steal.

Here’s a good review,

And available here for a very good discount

Thanks. Is it worth the extra for something like the KEF Q350? Richer have them 20% off at the moment.

The price of those Mission bad boys will also allow you to be able to afford one of these first class subs.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks. Is it worth the extra for something like the KEF Q350? Richer have them 20% off at the moment.

20% off with a trade in of old speakers. And they really don’t care how old or broken.

Best to go and hear them both now that RS is open. And by appt’ only so little risk.

£400 with the discount so that would not leave you with enough for a proper sub with your £500.

Unfortunately not open in Scotland and 200 miles away anyway lol. Think they’d still warrant sub reinforcement? I don’t need over the top thumping bass. Just enough.

Richersounds offer free delivery

those kefs are probably not £500 speakers..20% to make.them sound like its a better deal. they're almost double the price of the missions but i doubt they're double the performance.

the bk xls 200 is only about £90 extra.

The mission lx range is the level of the ma bronze. the qx is a higher level equivalent to ma silvers.

Richersounds offer free delivery

those kefs are probably not £500 speakers..20% to make.them sound like its a better deal. they're almost double the price of the missions but i doubt they're double the performance.

the bk xls 200 is only about £90 extra.

The Missions are £400 speakers.

personally, I’d go for the QX2s and the sub.

Near enough a full range, good quality set up then.

Subs are best used as modest additions to bass, to extend the frequency range another 30 or so Hz, flat, not whacking it up and wobbling furniture.

And as you’re using an AV receiver, you’ll be able to separate the sub from the standmounts at around 70-80Hz giving the speakers more power and control from the amp as it’s less stressed, not having to stretch the Missions or Qs down to low bass levels.

Having said all that, the Missions are relatively large, for a standmount and may provide most of the bass you need, as might the Qs.

No need to buy a Gemini straight away of course, you could give the new speakers a week or three to get the feel of them before deciding on a sub.

Ps, as you are ok with used then these should be considered. A huge bargain if white isn’t an issue.

Even less need for a sub with these.

half price and genuinely regarded as something special.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Black only at the moment.
£461.50 all in from Europe unless I'm missing something obvious.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom