New speaker advice for newbie please

Bing75

Novice Member
Hi guys,

First post here and I'm a complete audio newbie so please take it easy on me.

I quiet fancy some new speakers now that I have a decent space of my own and making 'noise' isn't a huge issue.

I've been looking at some powered speakers to sit on my desk and and will primarily run through my Mac computer, having said that I may connect a turntable to them at some point but lets see.

Does anyone have any recommendations for speakers budget max £400-£500ish.

I'm thinking of the following:

Klipsch R-51PM Bookshelf Speakers

These sixes look and spec up amazing but are way over budget

I know nothing about this brand btw.

Edifier R1700BT
Amazon product

Yamaha HS8 Active Studio

These Yamaha's seem awesome but abit overkill for what I need, also can you use a studio monitor as a daily speaker?

I listen to allot of

Reggae mainly old school and some modern (mainly vinyls)
Old school hip hop
Bhangra and some Indian music mostly modern

So I need deep bass without a muffled and flat top end and decent mids.

Music is usually played through my Mac whist I work via Spotify, soundcloud, you tube music etc or vinyls.

Currently I use the Harmon Kardon soundsticks whch sound pretty good but I need something meatier I think, oh and with Bluetooth connectivity

Sorry for the long post, some advice would be great.

thanks

B

password1

Distinguished Member
whats the rest of your system, including amp?

what size room?

Klipsh speakers tend to be relatively sensitive and in theory dont require as high powered amps to drive to the same volume

i would probably avoid those budget edifier speakers for serious music listening.

Bing75

Novice Member
The speakers are going to be sat on my desk (solid oak worktop) and connected to my Macbook hopefully by Bluetooth.

There's no amp at present hence why I'm looking at powered speakers.

The room is about 6m x 6m.

The cost of getting the Yamaha's + a sub is similar to that of the Klipsh 51PMs + their 10" sub.

I've never had any studio monitors before so not sure how they may sound, the frequency on the Yamaha's looks good though.

Hope this helps.

thanks

password1

Distinguished Member
Out of those my choice would.be either of those klipsch

they have Bluetooth and built in amp is ideal on a desk to save space and not needing a separate amp.

you might find you dont need a sub . you can always add a sub at a later date if they aren't enough bass.

Bing75

Novice Member
Thanks mate, I'm thinking the same about the Sub, add it later if needed.

If there are any other speakers or brands that meet my needs I should be looking at for that kind of budget please let me know.

password1

Distinguished Member
There are other active speakers but none i can think of with Bluetooth. The acoustic energy AE1 look good but no Bluetooth so would mean a separate Bluetooth receiver.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’d keep the electronics outside of the speakers. Better quality and increasingly inexpensive dac/streamer/preamps are getting more plentiful.

You might seriously consider a pair of these. Possibly all the speaker you’ll need.

Priced singly so it’s £716 for a pair.

Speakers are the single most important component in a hifi. It’s best to get the absolute best you can afford.

You cannuse the output from your mac for the time being.

Then save a bit for a good dac/ preamp. There are very many about.

password1

Distinguished Member
Those Hedd actives are not suitable as it doesn't have Bluetooth.. i thought the priced looked ok but see its for a single speaker..

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
If the Hedds are a bit rich for your budget, then I’d suggest these instead.

Add this exceptional streamer/dac/preamp and you’re sorted for some very fine music indeed.

It has everything you need.

However if you can possibly stretch to it then the Hedds and the Yamaha will blow you away and last forever.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Ps, any combination and recommendation above will utterly wipe out the HK soundsticks.

password1

Distinguished Member
SVS Prime are active and have Bluetooth connectivity. £699
IMG_20201015_232747.jpg

Bing75

Novice Member
Thanks so much guys for the tips, that Yamaha amp actually looks ok. Funny you mention the SVS prime as I was litterly looking into that last night.

Also these Yamaha NX N500s look decent.

Soooo tempted by the sixes and a sub, though - lol. I really need to go out and listen to some of these rather then going by online reviews.

Bing75

Novice Member
Quick question folks,

Do any of you use an EQ? I use one on my Mac to listen to the music the way I want.

daddy999

Quick question folks,

Do any of you use an EQ? I use one on my Mac to listen to the music the way I want.
Err, no. I know many swear by room correction though, personally I don’t, I love my sound in vaulted ceilings room just as it is.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I do indeed sir. My Adams have been run from my Mac and were very good.

A dac/preamp a little later would be better, but it’s not slumming it to use the mac till then.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
You might want to hear in mind that those KRKs are MASSIVE. and priced individually.

Hope you have a big and sturdy desk.

Bing75

Novice Member
thanks Paul,

So the price of 2 of those KRK ROKIT RP8 G4 Studio Monitors is around £500 which is about the same as a pair of the Klipsch R 51PMs.
The spec on the ROKITS looks impressive compared to the Klipsch apart from the bluetooth connectivity.

I have a couple of questions:

What is the sound like from a pair studio monitors compared to hi-fi speakers?

Can I connect the ROKITs to a bluetooth adaptor via something like this 3.5mm Stereo TRS Mini Jack to Twin 2 x Male XLR Lead/Audio Signal Cable 3m Amazon product

thanks

Bing75

Novice Member
Update:

So I went and heard the KRK Rokit 7 G4s today which sounded great but even better with a 10" Sub, they're huge though, and will have loads of cables etc running all over the place.

I also went and heard the Klipsh R-51PMs again awesome sound and smaller in size so better for my desk. I think these will need a sub for my needs, advantages here are they're pretty much plug and play no need for audio interfaces, DACS etc just bluetooth to Mac and go.

These are really tempting because of ease of use, I can't decide if I need I'd prefer the 10 or 12 inch Klipsh sub.

I'm yet to test the Yamaha HS7s, will try and do that this week and see.

password1

Distinguished Member
Get the best sub you can afford. It'll stop you from thinking what a larger or better sub will be like in the future.

Bing75

Novice Member
Price difference is about £50 so in the grand scheme things not huge, the 10" is 300w and the 12" is 400w.

It will be played along side the R-51PMs which are120W was worried that the 12" might drown out the R-51PMs.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio