New Sony V42 plasma - its finally here!

M

Majid Khan

Total Digital have it priced at £1459 - that's an SD plasma, but with HDMI and its apparently boasting a High Resolution picture processor.

http://www.totaldigital.biz/product_info.php/products_id/1325

Now I was considering the Panasonic 42PE50 - but I am wondering if the Sony V42 might be a better option, bearing in mind that its a newer plasma and it has HDMI (which makes it future proof in some way, even if not true HD ready status).

It also looks very stylish, has the same look as the new V range Sony Lcds.. (which my missus really likes! but i bet she wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the lcd and the plasma :) )

Has anyone seen the V42 in action yet ?

I've also noticed Comet have taken off the Sony 42XS1 off their website , might wel be replacing it with the V42 in the coming days - which would be ideal for me, because i could go for their extended warranty (screen burn coverered)..

Makro had them at £900 and somthing plus vat, my mate knows nothing about plasmas but says he wasn't too impressed with it, he said the Samsung looked better so that doesn't bode well!

Majid Khan

Just buy a Plasma mate, I think I have owned 3 while you have been deciding.
And I only got screen burn on two of them. ;)

i set 1 up yesterday for display at work the picture is ok but for the money you could buy better its up for £1999.99 in the high street

Majid Khan said:
and its apparently boasting a High Resolution picture processor.

Well, my Pansonic has Triple Nipple Fluxing Flue Flue Valves, does the sony? ;)

Seriously, just to quote this as a feature means you have learnt nothing reading the forums. C'mon, its time to put that cash down and buy something to put us out of our misery :D

gizlaroc said:
Majid Khan

Just buy a Plasma mate, I think I have owned 3 while you have been deciding.
And I only got screen burn on two of them. ;)

lmao - It had to be said sooner or later!

Its crap. Get a panny. Be happy.

Well I suppose you've gotta give him top marks for research :D

:D :rotfl:

Hmm.. well that's it, probably the last post i'll be making here for the time being anyway.. I'm sticking with my CRT for the forseable future...

I've come to the conclusion that the current techonology out there is just not good enough.. LCDs can't cope with motion, plasmas can't cope with channel logos for gods sake, the only ray of hope I had was Comet covering screen burn with their warranty but even that's turned out to be dodgy.

I guess i'll have to wait for SED.. it might be just what i'm after.. f

In the mean time, I wish to thank all you guys on here for your help, advice and information that you've offered on plasmas during the last 5 months...especially gizlaroc, superpixel, chedmaster, and others.. its been interesting, but in the end i guess i'm just not willing to spend 2 grand on what could end up being no more than a "disposable" TV... because from what I've realised, it seems screen burn is just a random occurence and can occur at any time, regardless of brand, running in or not, it just happens..

And knowing my luck with these things, it's almost destined to happen.. ;)

Anyhow, thanks a lot folks and good luck with your plasmas.. ! :) :hiya:

Goodbye.

Madji mate, I got my PHD8 on Monday, I set the contrast at -15 when I first turned it on, not because I was worried about screen burn but it needed to be at this to look right. By monday night it was at -10, or was it -5? can't remeber but one or the other. It is now Thursaday and only had 18 hours runtime and the contrast is set at 0 and on my scaler it is set at +2 which is correct for white at 100ire on my scaler.
My wife put Radio 2 on through sky at 3.30pm and I came up 3 hours later with the banner blasted across the screen, no image retention at all.

I really do think you are worrying about it far too much.

Majid Khan - I would almost go as far as to say the current Panasonic screens are invincible to screen burn.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom