New Sony TG7

cosmic68

The new model also does away with the dolby surround sound, which seems a step backward. However, it does have a wide angle lens sold as separate-anyone know if it's backward compatible with TG3E?

A n d r e w

The new model also does away with the dolby surround sound, which seems a step backward. However, it does have a wide angle lens sold as separate-anyone know if it's backward compatible with TG3E?
I believe the problem with WA adapters and the TG3 is that the TG3 does not have a screw thread at the front of the lens for filters and adapters. Perhaps the TG7 does.

cosmic68

I believe the problem with WA adapters and the TG3 is that the TG3 does not have a screw thread at the front of the lens for filters and adapters. Perhaps the TG7 does.

No, it's a magnetic lens. The TG7 also doesn't have a screw thread. I'm sort of hoping it will fit on my TG3 as well, but as new model is smaller (slightly) dimension wise, I'm guessing probably not, but live in hope until i can actually try.
I think that's really off of Sony to not make one for the TG3 if thats the case. It's obviously possible, they've sold a shed load of Tg3's....any trick to get the consumer to upgrade..:mad:

A n d r e w

I wouldn't be too surprised if the S*ny magnetic adapter fits the TG3, too: changing the size of the lens housing would mean making new parts, and Sony have been on hard times of late so my guess (without actually comparing the specs or physical dimensions) would be that the TG3 and TG7 lens diameter is the same. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Also, there's information here on getting around this potential conundrum by making your own magnetically-mounting wide angle lens adapter.

cosmic68

I did consider the Techmoan option....it seems a little inelegant, but haven't totally ruled it out.

The specs for TG3 are w=32mm x h=119mm x d63mm

The TG7 are w=30mm x h117mm x d62mm

So it's all down to 2mm in width I imagine. It could be possible.

cosmic68

Ok,

I rang a helpful chap at Sonystyles online ordering/help number-he went and spoke to a technician who reckons wide angle lens WILL be backward compatible with TG3. I bit the bullet and ordered one. Will arrive in 5 days, will post back result/if fits.

Apologies for double posts on different threads, Mods please feel free to delete.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom