1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony Service Menu - Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sjhawkuk, Mar 16, 2003.

1. sjhawkuk

sjhawkuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Sony KD32DX40, and have accessed the Service Menu using the usual method.
    However, the layout of the menu appears to be completely different to the one described on this site, and on related sites including 'kv32tweak'.

The menu appears as shown below:

Geometry

Service

Design

Status

Sound

IF Adjust

Error Menu

Can someone tell me if this is a new version of the Sony service menu.
    Does anyone else have this version of the service menu on their Sony TV?

The setting I need to change is the 'Auto Y/C for NTSC' which is talked about in quite a few threads on here, but it doesn't appear to be there!

Any help on this would be much appreciated...

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I also have this service menu (KV28FX66) and haven't worked it out yet.

3. sjhawkuk

sjhawkuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hasn't anyone got any info on this?

I suspect that anyone who's bought a new Sony TV in the last couple of months will have this version of the service menu.

If you haven't yet accessed the service menu, try and access it and see if this is the version you get.

Any info (particularly regarding the NTSC option) would be much appreciated :)

Many thanks
    Steve

4. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I got the 32nx200 delivered today.
    How do you access this menu.
    On the top of the screen. the right hand side bends down by about 1mm over about the last 2 inches. Is this the sort of thing you can adjust in a service menu?
    Any hints on how to use one?

Ste

5. sjhawkuk

sjhawkuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DX40 is exactly the same. Still waiting for any info on this new Sony service menu.

You can access this by setting the TV to Analogue mode, then turning off. Then press i+(?), 5, Vol+, Digital/TV on the remote and you're in!

6. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    1mm????

Is it a 2 inch TV? Thats about the size of TV a 1mm picture bend would annoy me on.

If you want something with perfect tolerance buy a plasma or a studio monitor, only something like £8k or so I'd imagine.

Complaining about a 1mm bend is laughable unless you haven't explained it sufficiently or you meant cm?

7. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Sorry, I didn't think it was laughable.
    Spent over £1500 on a TV and expected the top edge to be flat.
    If it was a 1mm runout across the length then you wouldn't notice it but it's about 1-2mm just across the top edge on the right hand side. So as it goes along the top edge straight, 2" from the end it slopes down. If you're saying that's acceptable then OK but it surprises me..
    Either way is this the sort of thing that service menus do or is that end of story??

Ste

8. sjhawkuk

sjhawkuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you should be able to sort this out in the service menu.

Help still required!!!

Steve

9. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Ah, I see what you mean now.

Do you get a black "triangle" where it slopes down away from the top of the screen?

Only thing you can do is expand the picture height or move it up to get rid of the black bit. (which'll need to be done in the service manual)

Every single consumer product is built down to a price. They ain't perfect. A 1mm slope would (I'd imagine) be well in the manufacturers acceptable limits. I've had a philips 32" w/s set for 4 years now and I had a heck of a job getting a set I liked, I was seeing 2cm variations in picture width (on each side) on some sets. I still see the cheaper sets like this, and a lot of the expensive sets too.

But if it really bugs you, it really bugs you. If you send it back and get another I doubt you'll get one with just one fault like this. Go to the shops and have a wander round, try to get an idea of how good the images is on other similar sets before you send this one back.

Just trying to save you possibly getting a lot worse set! :)

10. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Yeah a sort of black triangle.
    "If you send it back and get another I doubt you'll get one with just one fault like this." Really?

There is also the 'buzz'..
    Watching the TV normally is OK but if you're at the side you can hear the buzzing. It's only quiet but you can hear it..

Is there any guide on how to use the service menu?
    Don't want to cock it up totally.. or is there a complete factory reset option there too??

Cheers,

Ste

11. Dog Man

Dog Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately you will not be able to adjust the horizontal bow from the service menu. (V-PIN)
    This adjustment is only possible by adjusting the DY, which I wouldn't recommend.
    Also watch out if you go into the service menu it is very easy to cock the settings-up. Make sure that you right down all the settings before adjusting.

12. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Only one way to see what other sets of this model are like - wander round the shops and see with your own eyes.

Having something buzz at me all the time would be really annoying. Can't understand Sony doing this, its simple to cure in manufacture, choose a different component!

There is NO "factory reset" option built in to the set. Every single TV is calibrated on the production line and all their settings are different when they leave the factory (caused by slight differences in component values, tubes, etc).

Only thing you can do is write down EVERYTHING you see before you start to change things, and only change things in very small steps and only change things that you definitely know what they do.

There are some things in the service menus that a change of 2 or so will give a completely unwatchable picture and then you've no way to see what you're doing to change it back. Expensive service engineer call out time.

13. sjhawkuk

sjhawkuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd bring this back to everyone's attention, in the hope that someone can help!
    Has anyone got any info at all on this new-style Sony service menu?

Thanks in advance
    Steve