1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony Sa-VE835 Pascal Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chris6364, Aug 9, 2002.

1. chris6364

chris6364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A newbie to this! Had a DVD player for years, and have now decided on a big upgrade.

Currently have (on order)
    Toashiba 510 DVD player (Multiregion)
    Panasonic AE100 Projector

Currently have (in current setup)
    Sony DB475 Amp/Receiver with DD & DTS decoder
    Eltax Stargate 5.1 Speaker system.

To finish it off, I'm looking for some new Speakers and the new Sony Pascal 835 set match the look of my room well - however, I haven't heard them in action yet (they're supposedely a massive improvement on previous efforts;), which I thought we're better than my current Eltax speakers).

Any thoughts on these (or alternatives with similar look and price of appx. £400 inc. VAT) much appreciated!

Cheers

Chris:)

2. jimmylad

jimmylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you see their review in "Home Entertainment" (Page 61 ) it got a 5* rating overall. The only downside was that music was only awarded 3*.

I'm after the exact set (but waiting for a Sony strdb685 reciever to come out).

The best price I have seen is at Robertwhytes for £419 & some sites are charging £500 +

The best advice anyone could give would be to go & have a demo. If you like the sound they make then that's all that matters.

While 99% would say wow! "They sound good"! you get one comment from someone saying that the bass isn't quite balanced & the fronts are not quite "there" blar blar blar................. & it puts you right off.

Reminds me of wine tasters & all that bull that flows out when they are tasting the stuff. They can slate a wine making it sound like acid while the rest of us think it's excellent.

Jim

3. chris6364

chris6364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :cool:

Which Home Entertainment issue is the review - I haven't seen it yet!

Thanks!

4. jimmylad

jimmylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's number 106 the August issue but you will probably find that 107 is out now!

Try www.home-entertainment.co.uk for more info on back issues etc.

Cheers

Jim

5. chris6364

chris6364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( Can't find the review on the website and I missed the issue at the newsagents - any chance you can scan it and post it or send it to my e-mail - thanks jimmylad

:)

6. jimmylad

jimmylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not got the scanner hooked up at the mo but I've got a decent digi camera that may do the trick. So will experiment.

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I've got a scanner and the mag. If u give me an address to mail to I'll send this evening.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would ignore magazines like Home Entertainment. Many of these guys are not even good writers let alone home cinema experts. There are those that reside on this forum who are so far in front of these reviewers that it doesn't bare thinking about.

Mark

9. chris6364

chris6364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ;) ;) :D
    Received the Pascal after taking the plunge and ordering them yesterday (turned up 2 day) from Robert Whyte - excellent price £399 and in stock - other sites are quoting upto 6 weeks and £450+

Sound fantastic, look bloody gorgeous and are very very loud!

10. jimmylad

jimmylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What size room are they in & have you played music on them ?

Can't wait till my amp comes out (in the next couple of weeks I hope) so that I can get mine.

Glad you are pleased.

Jim

11. chris6364

chris6364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Room size is about 14 feet x 10 feet (screen is obviously on smaller wall) and get superb sound - music sounds excellent, much better than the Eltax speakers I had, and much better than I would rate as the 3* HomeEntertainment gave it! Sounds as good as film soundtracks, which is excellent - and DVD-Audio played through my Tosh 510 also sounds great - justs waiting for my panny projector! Hurry Up!!!:( EmpireDirect!!!

12. DavidMalone

DavidMalone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

Just to let you know, I have the same speakers and have been blown away by them :) (literally). When I first hooked them up to my new amp+dvd player, I put Saving Private Ryan (R1-DTS) up nearly full blast (very impressive).

I think all my neighbours can now recite the entire omaha beach landing. hehehe.

I was just wondering one thing, what frequency do you have your speakers set to, I have tried the standard 120hz and also 200hz (centre/fronts & surround), haven't noticed much difference though. Any thoughts? (My amp is the str-db1070)

Cheers,

David

13. chris6364

chris6364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't tried that yet - i'll have a go and tell you if i find a difference...