New Sony S360, JVC or Pioneer A320 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Palladio, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Palladio

Palladio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    :hiya:Just about to dip my toes into Blu Ray and am having trouble deciding how far to go so am looking for some help and advice. The new Sony S360 seems the sensible choice, The upcoming JVC is getting good reviews in the States and the Pioneer A320 looks excellent. Brain says Sony, Heart says Pioneer as it will match the TV and the TV has been one of my best ever buys. Superb pice of kit.

I don't need wireless access as have Cat5 in the Lounge, the Denon AVR has HDMI but does not decode the new sound formats so need that done onboard in the player and the Pioneer TV is 720 not 1080p.

I'm currently using an Oppo 981 for DVD's. Will all these Blu Ray players do as good job if not better with SD DVD's and will I get any worthwhile improvement in Sound from the Pioneer over the Sony ?

If I went for the Sony I could get a Logitech Harmony One with the money saved which quite appeals.

I realise that none of these players are available yet so pretty difficult to review or compare but am guessing there must be some common ground here and from what I've been reading so far Picture quality doesn't seem to improve that much till you get to the higher end equipment and not sure if the Pioneer would count for that or not.

Appreciate any comments and advise from you guys as you've certainly more experience and expertise in all things Blu Ray than I have. :thumbsup:

2. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,943
    Hi. :)
    Your probably find your Oppo being best for DVD out of the list of players :smashin: not just PQ wise but usability/features as well.
    Cheers.

3. Palladio

Palladio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Thanks Kingfats,
    Good to know the Oppo will still outperform the Blu Ray Players but means I will have to reconsider my plans as was hoping to do a direct replacement and use the Oppo elsewhere. :confused:

Will have to see if I can set up a like for like test once I 've decided on the Blu Ray Player.

4. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    You could wait a while and get the Oppo BR player as that should have the same DVD playback quality....

Otherwise from your list i'd get the Pioneer, or if you're not mad for Profile 2.0, get the 51fd as it's currently rather good value!!!

Pioneer BDP51FD Blu Ray & DVD Player - 1080p HDMI 1.3: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

5. Palladio

Palladio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Just seen HiFix are advertising the Pioneer BDP320 for £359 incl delivery. :cool:

6. confused88

confused88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I have the S350 and I find that with most films the upscaled dvd looks superb. I would expect the S360 to be at least as good in that respect. I know that Oppo is considered superior to budget bluray player in dvd playback but I find it hard to imagine that another player could seriously outperform the Sony.
    I would recommend the S360 unless the price is of no concern to you which in that case you should condiser the Pioneer 320.

7. Palladio

Palladio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Well, finally decide on the Pioneer BDP320. For a few reason, some important some less so but all help to swing it to the Pioneer.
    1. Reviews were suggesting that the audio and build quality might be better than the Sony
    2. Remote opens the draw
    3. Prefer the look of the Pioneer
    4. and most important was the superb price from TLC Broadcast using the AVForum special offer bringing the total price down to £306 delivered. :smashin:

Ordered last Friday night and delivered yesterday. Hope to set it up and report back over the weekend.

:clap: Special thanks to TLC Broadcast :clap:

8. confused88

confused88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    There is also the PDP A120. What about that?

9. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,943
    The 120? :) more of a rebadged sharp player than a Pioneer.

10. confused88

confused88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The panasonic BD60 also has the YouTube streaming option. Why easy would it be to search without a keyboard though...

Does anyone use BD-live?

11. Palladio

Palladio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I don't know what the GUI for the BD60 is like for using You tube but with the Apple TV it's far easier than I thought it would be and for watching a lot of the documentaries and music videos on you Tube it's something I use more than I thought I would. The grand children love it to for watching the WWE rumbles :boring:

12. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166