1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony receiver cutting out - any ideas why?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CestusGW, Jun 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. CestusGW

CestusGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My family just recently set-up a new home entertainment system. We've got a Sony STRDE-695 receiver hooked to a 5.1 speaker set (center, 2 front, 2 rear, 1 sub, I think it's 600 watts total but within the max for the receiver). There's a VCR and a DVD player hooked up as input (DVD player uses composite video and digital coax for audio, VCR just uses RCA( red, white, yellow) and the cable connection goes through the VCR). The video output from the receiver goes into a simple little RF modulator so that our pathetically old TV can get the signal (no compositve input).

The problem we've been having is that the receiver will randomly 'cut out' on us. There doesn't seem to be any trigger for it. Just while watching TV, a loud pop will come out the speakers and the receiver powers itself off. Sometimes it will come back on immediately, other times it will have to sit for several hours before the power button will work again. On occasion, the receiver will power itself back up after an incident like this with the message 'PROTECT' flashing on its display. To try and solve this problem, to date I have:
    Moved the receiver off our horrid 6 to 2 "power bar" (made by NOMA, ludicrously cheap) onto a proper surge protected bar.
    Moved the receiver out of the AV cabinet and into open air (but it never got that hot anyways)

The receiver is under warranty, so we can always just drop it into a repair shop and say "here, deal" but the nearest shop is a two hour drive away. If anyone has any ideas on what other causes beyond a faulty receiver could be at play here, don't hesitate to let me know.

2. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    I would do a double check of all the speaker connections on both the back of the Sony, and also at the speaker end, looking for stray copper strands which could be causing this to short out.
    Markie Boy

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Would have thought lose copper would cause it to go to protect instantly unless it's flapping around which is unlikely. I would also suspect heat but you've already solved that one. Have you checked the impedance of your speakers? Are they all 8ohms and if not, does your Sony have an impedance selector. I'm not really an expert on the impedance thing, others on here will help you there but I know trying to drive 4ohm speakers can cause problems for some amps. Also, I think the speakers should be matched in terms of impedance (again not sure and no idea why).

Other than that, sounds like a dodgy unit. The 695 should handle most 5.1 speaker setups easily.

4. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    It is a possibility there is a loose connection at the speaker end, which could cause this problem - I would merely suggest for the sake of a simple look-see round the back of the unit and each speaker. Not sure what speakers you're using but doubt that the impedance would cause this problem ( although is a possibility ). Check the impedance and make sure the switch at the back is on the correct setting.
    Markie Boy

5. CestusGW

CestusGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure that impedance shouldn't be a problem. The speakers are Sony as well, and I could almost swear that I've seen them coupled as a set with receivers like the one we have (the speakers were floor models for a discontinued set. They were picked up at futureshop for only $200 cdn! :D )

In any case, I'll look over those connections and see if I can come up with anything. Would it be safe to try disconnecting everything but the front speakers, then gradually reconnecting speakers or should I just check everything at once? The speaker connections are just twisted in with the bare ends - no bannana heads have been attached to them yet (and with the way we've routed the wiring through the walls, this baby isn't really going anywhere anytime soon!)

6. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cestus,

I've got the same amp, STRDE-695, and the same problem (random PROTECT MODE failures)
    What I've found was the problem was the speakers connection.
    I was running my system without any banana plugs, and with all 5 speakers connected I was constantly having that problem.
    Solved with a very expensive xios gold blablabla banana 4mm plugs.

(problem was also that my cables were an horrible mess-up, hearting the sistem every so often, walking on the rig where the cabled passed beneath I could even "hear" the sound goes by!!)

So, go for the banana plugs, and dont let any loose cable hearting the system, this will end into the annoying "PROTECT MODE" message failure.