1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony Progressive scan DVD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nuno Santos, Aug 25, 2000.

1. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I saw the news post regarding the Sony 9000ES DVD player and som doubts came to my mind.
    It seems that the player does NTSC progressive scan, so, does this mean that with NTSC DVD discs it will output a 480p signal?

What about PAL DVD's? Does it output a 'normal' (like the 7700) non progressive component signal?

This means that for example, with the VPL-VW10HT LCD projector, that is compatible with NTSC PS signals (480p and 720p), PAL users can't use these capabilities, doesn't it? So, in terms of video performance, this new player does not bring anything new to PAL users?

What happens if we feed the referred projector with a PAL progressive signal (from for example a new PAL DVDO IScan line doubler - IF it comes out)?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

NS

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's a US machine then it is unlikely to have any PAL support built in.

3. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Remember the S7700 was adapted in the UK from the s7700 US/Jap/HK model.

Maybe a UK PAL support one will come.

Is this new player going to take over from the S7700 as the 'new reference standard'?

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have heard the 7700 is to be replaced, but not sure if it's the 9000 which is also SACD compatible if I am not mistaken.
    In Singapore the 7700 sells now for around GBP 550 (multiregion), here in Malaysia still for GBP 800 - just saw one yesterday though I thought it's not on sale here anymore.

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner