New Sony Player in October... 1.1 ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dbs2, Sep 6, 2007.

1. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    [​IMG]

So is this 'Media Centre' classed as just a blu-ray player so should it be 1.1 ??

Id does look so nice........

2. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    That's a good question. It struck me that AFAIK very few of the manufacturers mention the "profiles" supported in any of their marketing material. I can only assume this is intentional to avoid letting the consumer know there is a divided specificiation. :confused:

Interestingly most are happy to confirm the version of other elements of speficiation i.e. HDMI 1.3 etc and I wonder if there is pressure from the BDA re this area.

AVI

3. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The 1.1 deadline has been put back until November.

4. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    as you say..... and I reckon they will start stating the profile when most are ready to release 1.1 - 2.0 players, but i certainly think imo it must be the BDA that maybe requests that profile is not mentioned, or is it just the CES .... who knows.... and will we ever....

5. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    has it........ ARSE !!

6. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Why just November?
    Surely if you can't achieve 1.1 by October then pushing it back to November isn't going to help much?
    Unless of course No one has managed 1.1 yet and they all need an extra month to get their Christmas players to market in order to avoid needing to meet 1.1 spec.

Does this mean that a 1.1 player won't be ready until much later because everybody has rushed to release their current crop they have been working on pre 1.1 deadline?

I guess that since everybody has been hopeful that they will get 1.1 released by now then maybe the current new releases will mostly be hardware compliant and it will just be the firmware that needs upgrading during the products lifetime.

-Neil

7. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Lets hope (well ok i'll hope) that that is the case, i just wan't a 1.1 standalone with 7.1 analogue outs...... it's not a lot to ask for..... ;)

8. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    Very cool, :thumbsup: Would love to have something like this and be able to chose from hundreds of high def movies from a menu.

Now I just need 10 grand to buy one and fill it up, now where did I put that lottery ticket:lease:

9. MrHyde1969

MrHyde1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19

Why not just spend about £1500 making a HTPC that can play both formats, do away with 'region coding', back up all your HDDVD and Bluray then just use a nice GUI to pick and choose any movie you wish :thumbsup:

10. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Certainly a lot cheaper.... probably nearly as good as well..... a very good idea.... :smashin: ...... but still not the same if you had the money to blow imo.. (one can dream:boring:)

11. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    That would be fantastic but I don't think hardrives are really up to that yet.

For it to be equivelent you would need to be able to rip 200 Blu-ray movies to it. Lets say 40GB a peice 200 x 40 = 8000GB = 8TB. Presuming you wanted data security you would need 4 x 2.25TB Nas's (4x750GB = 2.25TB in raid) they are £1700 each here https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/80

Then you need the £1500 HTPC on top of that. You are talking over £8000 and that is 5 boxes.

If you are wanting hundreds of disks like this without having to get up and change one the disk changer seems to be the only realistic solution at this point. Give it a couple of years though and it will be differnet as hardrive capacity is improveing rapidly.

$3500 is alot of money though so unless you've won the lottery neither are partically sensible options we should just not be lazy and tell the wife to swap the disk for us ;):D

12. ripclaw

ripclaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Getting back to the HES-V1000, Sony haven't mentioned what hi-res sound formats this server can decode, i.e. can it decode (at a minimum) Dolby TrueHD? I'm assuming that it conforms to HDMI 1.3 at the very least. I guess once it's released we'll know.

13. peterweg

peterweg
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    No, as before, from 31st October onwards.

That would be 1st November.

BTW, accoring to the insiders thread, there is no such profile as 1.1.

Only 1.0 and 1.0 preliminary. What we refer to 1.0 is a grace period before the 1.0 full spec has to be implemented.

14. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Posted by TalkStr8t.

15. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Someone somewhere needs to announce something, imo they are going to be leaving it far FAR to late, People wanting a BD 1.1 Standalone are all going to jump on the Samsung Dual at this rate and that is not good for Blu-ray (good for HD-DVD possibly, as if you have the player your gonna buy the odd disk)....

COME ON BDA ..... Tell us either way......

16. Drongo

Drongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,326

Dean, don’t hold your breath.

Do you really expect a rash of 1.1 machines as (Samsung excepted) most of the recent player announcements were for 1.0 machines. If those machines are not upgradeable, then the manufacturers will want to sell those first.

And if they are upgradeable those upgrades will need to be worked out and tested first…

Don’t deny yourself. That Samsung is looking to be a corker.

Transformers, Batman Begins – with real working interactive features. Mmmmmmm..... :devil:

17. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    :rotfl: I am not gonna deny.... i have said on several threads that at the moment it is top of my list for a Standalone Blu-ray Player....I will buy one at this rate.... BDA's Loss is HD-DVD's gain..... possibly another dual formater........ but if Blu-ray come up with the goods first at a better price I May stay Blu..... lets see who gets a 1.1 machine out first and then alot of people imo will decide....... any more Guesses ???

18. Drongo

Drongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,326
    Actually, even I’m tired of waiting for the BDA (other than Samsung) to stop twiddling their thumbs, and to bring out a 1.1 (and hopefully a 2.0) machine.

But even if they do, I doubt that it will play Transformers….

Anyhow, let’s hope we don’t all die of old age first. :D

19. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,211
    That sounds worse to me.

It sounds like they are admitting that November 1st is the finished product hence why they are starting at 1 for it. What was before was the preliminary unfinished product.

Or maybe it's just a lot of wishy washy language like Microsoft speak. Microsoft never say a product has bugs. They say it has 'issues' or undocumentated behaviour or a known issue.

So now it's preliminary 1.0, 1.0 then what? Instead of 2.0 will it be post 1.0?

http://www.answers.com/topic/preliminary

preliminary

adjective

1. Before or in preparation for the main matter, action, or business: inductive, introductory, prefatory, preparatory, prolegomenous. See start/end.

2. Serving to introduce a subject or person, for example: introductory, prefatory, preparatory, prolegomenous. See start/end, words.

3. Not perfected, elaborated, or completed: rough, sketchy, tentative, unfinished, unperfected, unpolished. See start/end.

Number 3's definition doesn't sound flattering. I'd have stuck with 1.0, 1.1.