1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Sony Plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ben_gb, Jun 19, 2004.

1. ben_gb

ben_gb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Has anyone seen any reviews or had any experience with the new Sony plasmas which have been launched over the last month or two?

I'm interested in the KDLL42MRX1 (LCD screen - not sure about this), or their plasmas: KDEP42MRX1 or KDEP42XS1 (I think one of these is a hi-def set). However I haven't found any reviews or comments about them so far.

See http://products.sony.co.uk/thumbnails.asp?id=2_171_

Their design would look great in my living room, but of course the most important thing is how the image performs. Sony has said that their new 'Wega Engine' in these sets produces a giant leap forward in picture quality etc etc...is this really true?

It would be great to hear any positive or negative comments about these new models!

Ben

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I went up to London last week specifically to see the plasma and lcd 42" mrx1 screens (you have little to no chance of finding one in Wales to see). Took my wife so she could see if she liked them and she loved both of them. To my untrained eye it (and again, this may be due to differences in set up) appeared that the plasma showed more tonal range but the lcd was far more vibrant. The black on the plasma was good but on the lcd was superb. This appears to contradict what most say about these types of screens so I don't really understand why. Whether this was due to the fact that the lcd screen was non reflective I'm not sure. I didn't get to see football on it but they did have a demo disc running identically on both sets and they also put freeview on when I asked.

My main concern with lcd has always been the image lag with football (I watch a lot of footy) but the demo movement in places was quite quick and I couldn't really see any problem in that respect, it looked identical to the plasma. However, one thing that really did concern me and that was that there was screenburn on the plasma. In the right hand corner was the TMF music channel logo and I noticed that a lot of other screens in the shop had that channel running. I examined the screens for about 20 mins and saw the logo at the beginning and at the end when light images were on screen. Now whether this means that the screens are easily burnt or whether they've had the same channel on for days and days I have no idea but I did find it a bit worrying, particularly as my daughter is very fond of her music channels and the disney channel.

I've only seen a review of the 32mrx1 lcd and that was only a quick glance in the newsagent. I think they liked it and think they gave it 5 stars for picture but lower obviously for value (Sony always like to add on a good 25% to the cost of other manufacturers). The review is in Home Cinema Choice I believe if you'd like to have a look.

As to overall appeal, suffice to say that my wife is still annoyed with me because I haven't ordered one yet (she wants to watch Euro 2004 on a big screen and is still upset with me because I sent a panny 6 back as I could see it flicker). Viewing angle on the lcd was good, I would have no concerns about that in my room. Only reason I haven't ordered one was because I'd like to see the footy running on the 32 version to make sure that it was as good as I thought it was. Also, I'm a little disappointed that John Lewis don't stock them as I'd really like to buy one there as they were so helpful when I had to return my panny.

As always though, to each their own as what suits one person will irritate another. I would say that although ridiculously expensive, they were very nice indeed and although I set out to assess the plasma, I ended up prefering the LCD myself. Unless something very good comes out before, I will probably get one of these for Christmas.

3. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    they're on display at the sony shop near my work and I agree completely about the LCD being much more vibrant than the plasma. Both pictures were good but the LCD definately caught the eye more. Problem with sony shops though is there's no other makes to compare it to. Hugely expensive but absolutely stunning design. I want one when I grow up (been saying that for thirty odd years)

4. bowler900

bowler900

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought a Sony KDE-37XS1 last weekend, the shop arranged for the Pannasonic and the Sony both Plasma and LCD to be in a position to be viewed at the same time. I found the 32 inch LCD both makes still showed some considerable motion blur, but both the Sony and Panny plasmas were excellent, I thought the Sony just had the edge over the Panny in picture quality.

Its a shame that the analogue tuner is intermittant on the one I had delivered (Sony are delivering another one this week).

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Viewed the 42" Sony and the Panny Viera side by side. I believe the Sony has the 1024 higher resolution over the Panny. Both are very good pictures, with the Sony having a more natural and smoother image, but it does display visible solarisation. The Viera gave a very contrasty picture but IDTV did need mpeg compression adjustment to make the picture acceptable.

The LCD Sony displayed far too much motion blur to be in the running, however on static images was quite contrasty and very good on blacks.

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Sony is 1024x1024i (interlaced), the Panasonic is 852x480 non interlaced, but bare in mind that they both work to create more shades by switching pixels on and off at different frequencies. I had a look in JL today and played with all 3. Because of the bright lights in the shop it's hard to make judgements, having said that, it would be a toss up between the Sony and the Panasonic plasmas if I had to choose, to my eyes the LCD still makes pictures look more like a computer game than a photo, a lack of colour depth that makes the picture look flat. Comparing the plasmas, there is no denying that the Sony does have more resolution, but it does look slightly dotty when there's a fast moving object. I'm sure the Panasonic would have better blacks if you were to view them both in a dark room. It would be interesting to compare them with some 1080i high definition video, if it works the same as my Sony 32" 852x1024i Plasma it'll display 1024 out of 1080 lines without any vertical scaling, which looks amazing.

7. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Should have said that when I saw the screens alongside each other, it wasn't the xs1 screen I was looking at but the plasma MRX1. That doesn't have the res of 1024x1024 but rather 1024x768 (not an alis screen).

I have to say I'm a little surprised at the motion blur comments earlier. Admittedly, I haven't seen footy on it yet but there was some fast movement on display and I didn't think there was that much of a problem. It didn't look like there was that much difference between the plasma and the lcd with the same feed.

Having said that though, I currently have a 100hz sony widescreen and a lot of people don't like the appearance of football on that. Perhaps it's just that I'm used to seeing this type of image and the lcd performance looked similar.

Initially, it did look like there was a lack of tones but did manage to get a few more out of it by playing with the backlight. It's set by default far too high in my opinion and had the effect of wiping out all the detail. It seemed far better when the backlight was reduced in intensity and I did manage to get a picture not that dissimilar in tones to the plasma (IMHO). Not as good, but not too bad.

When we first saw the screen, my wife's comment was that it made everything look as though it was filmed on a sunny day and was too intense. However, once I'd got them to adjust it, it seemed far better. I did note though that as we left the shop, the assistant put the settings back to the default and thus removed any benefit that the new settings gave.

I did go to see the 32 version again yesterday when the footy was on but the only local store that had one has sold it. Drat.

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The KDEP37XS1 37" that I looked at is a 1024x1024 fugitsu/hitachi alis screen, the KDEP42XS1 42" is also 1024x1024 alis, the KDEP42MRX1 42" is a 1024x768 non interlaced screen (probably of samsung manufacture) and the TX-32LXD1 32" is an 1280x768 LCD panel (probably of samsung manufacture) and it's 15:9 not 16:9 like the plasmas.

The advantages that I can see of the LCD are no/little risk of screen burn so it's a natural choice of video games players/shopping channel addicts, and LCD's use square pixels so you should be able to connect a computer to it without too much fuss.

It's stange that they are using all manner of different display technology in each screen but it does give you a choice...

9. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It's worth noting that none of the new Sony's have digital (HDMI/DVI) inputs...

10. devilpup

devilpup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok all the new sony mrx1 range plasmas have a chance of screen burn due to the fact that the screen orbiting is not turned on. ythis can be got rid of by the all white mode. make sure u turn screen orbit on. all other sony plasmas have this feature already turn on when u buy it. work for sony centre worked this out after seeing screenburn

11. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If it "fixed" the screen burn, then it wasn't screen burn, it was temporary image retension.

12. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If it was image retention, would that last twenty minutes with lots of differing images appearing on the screen? I didn't think image retention lasted that long (but I'm no expert in these things). It really was quite clear on the screen I saw. If anyone else is near the Sony Centre in Tottenham Court Road, pop in and have a look and see if it's still there: they had a demo running and it was quite clear during the scenes involving blue skies etc.

13. devilpup

devilpup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its screen burn. can be got rid of by burnin rest of screen. known with that panel as screen orbiting not turned when setup. has 2 be done manually. if turned on no problem.

14. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I gotta say i've had a Sony plasma for a year and a half and there's no screen burn, the oribiter is turned off. I don't play computer games on it and I don't leave static images on it. It's calibrated and the contrast is way lower than default. Live mode as used in some TV shops puts the contrast and colour settings way up, i'm not surprised it'll be burned very quickly. It's like any plasma there's nothing special about screen burn with Sony's, you just have to keep in mind not to leave static images on it. LCD doesn't have this problem, but I think picture quality with films is more important than playing computer games.

15. devilpup

devilpup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    should off said if you running a static image screen burn happens very quickly on the plasmas. as you seem not to run static image and have turned the settings down know problem. only problem if keep settings how they r and dont turn screen orbiting on. but all white mode does help to remove these burnins on sony machines

16. CharlesB

CharlesB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know where to download the manuals for the plasma XS1 and/or the LCD MRX1?

Thanks in advance
    CharlesB