1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Sony NW-HD5

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by scottydog, Apr 6, 2005.

1. scottydog

scottydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OH NO! Just got an HD3 and now the smaller HD5 is revealed on Sony's website. If you are thinking of getting a player then take a look.

2. millsner

millsner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    • Smaller and lighter than the NW-HD3 (infact it's the smallest 20GB player on the market!!)
    • Removable battery with up to 40 hours playing time from a single charge.
    • 7-line display that rotates either horizontally or vertically according to the position of the player.
    • Available in black, silver or red.

T3 magazine have the low-down here

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ah glad I bought my HD3 from Argos! I can wait about 6 months, drop it in a puddle or something. Then return it, and they will give me a refund! They always do.....

The whole rotating screen thing is soooooo cool!

4. SP303

SP303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Few questions, see if anyone knows.

Does the HD5 have the same sound reduction thing as the NW3, if so can it be removed the same way?

The playlist feature, what is it and how does it work?

Will sony do a firmware update for the HD1 and HD3 to add that playlist functionality? < most important question. Seeing as they did a firmware upgrade to make HD1 play MP3's surely this would be possible.

Are the buttons easier or harder to use than the ND3 circle?

Yes im demanding, but yes like many others i've just bought a HD3.. which I can return I believe within 7 days.

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Nobody can answer any of those questions, to be honest mate!

If I were you I would return your HD3 and wait a month or two till the HD5 comes out, becos I'm sure it will be better! And if you don't like it I expect the HD3 will drop in price anyway.

6. wanda

wanda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeeees I wish they'd either brought the HD5 out at the same time at HD3 or at least left it a few more months! I wonder how many people will be going back to Dixons?

Have no idea if the buttons are easier or harder to use that the ND3 cos I haven't one, but that link to T3 magazine certainly seems to be singing it's praises.

Surely there will be a firmware update?

7. heelsie

heelsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    GUTTED only had my HD3 for two weeks.

8. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD3's already down to £168 at pixmania.co.uk. Bargain!

9. scottydog

scottydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gutted too and not because the HD5 may be better as I'm happy with the HD3 BUT this may mean no extras will be produced for it now. Would have liked a cradle and maybe just a fraction of the stuff you can get for ipod. Still glad I didn't get ipod though.

10. wanda

wanda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe they still will do some accessories for the HD3, they must realise how many sales they made, it's not like we're made of money and want to 'collect' all the sony mp3 players on offer!

I use pixmania for my digital photos might go and have a look and see what else they've got on there now.

11. namastebuzz

namastebuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thing is, at some point you have to buy whatever it is that you want. There's always a follow up product which may (or may not) be superior but that doesn't change the fact that having and using something NOW is more satisfying than waiting for the next generation.

I told a friend I'd got a new Sony PSP and he replied that he was waiting for the PSP2! Whilst tongue-in-cheek it still illustrates the point.

Anyway, nice though the HD5 looks, I'm happy with my HD1.

12. shiveringgoat

shiveringgoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also - in June there will be a 30gb HD5 too

Goat:)

13. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Where did you read that? I have not heard anything of the sort.

14. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Pity the sound is awful and the software is a dog.

Very happy with my i-pod.

15. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What planet are you on, the audio quality on the ipod isn't anywhere as good as the Sony's!

16. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this thread is about sony NW-HD5, not about i-pod.

thanks

17. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an HD3 purchased Christmas Eve (pink Yes Iknow) I also have the RM40kremote and the Norieve case (which is nice by the way) So best part of 300 quids worth of gear. Sony well knew this new product was on the cusp of production but still chose to launch the HD3 which is an interim product obviously. If you go to the Japanese sony site and play around you will find pictures of the HD5 with an all new leather "Unique" case that comes with it and also a picture of a car docking station as an extra. All very fine to upgrade but to take money off people and then virtually make the device obsolete only 4 months after launch is taking the :censored: [swear word removed by mod] ..........As well as launching a debugged upgraded version of SS to which we have no genuine european access. well they have our money they dont gibve a :censored: [swear word removed by mod] why should they..... You have been had !!!!!!!!!

apologies for using the words with * in I thought this was OK . I will abide by the rules in future

18. Art Murphy

Art Murphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard that rumour too, including that it will be only available in silver with black buttons, but I've Googled for recent articles and can find no mention of it.

No wait, I knew I'd seen it somewhere eighth paragraph down.

19. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    My choice was based on listening to both the Sony and the I-pod. To me the sound quality is superior with the i-pod and when I made my purchase I initially said I wouldnt buy it because every man and his dog had an i-pod.
    However when I listened to it I could see why they were so popular as the sound quality was very good, an impression I never got from the Sony which I though sounded worse than the Zen and also the impressive I-River.

20. Signer

Signer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should be happy with the HD3, looks classier, sony have tried to hard to make the hd5 appeal, sure the specs are great, but you still got a great mp3 player. Im still happy with mine, atleast the buttons are better.

21. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD-3 is a good product and a fair bit better than the Zen Nomad 2 I had before which I also liked ...it is just this cynical upgrading of stuff so quickly that gets on my nerves.......I was always taught to look after the existing customers before looking for the new ones. If they put SS3.1 on the download site and provide a playlist function,that would at least show some concern for existing users , rather than using us as acting unpaid product testers.........everything everybody moaned about on here has been addressed by the HD5.

22. human doughnut

human doughnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate it when technology advances after i have spent some money!!!

I love my HD3 and i've had it since the beginning, but it hasn't really been that long. But the stats seem quite a lot better. 10 hours longer on battery life, considerably smaller, and a damn cool gimmick in the form of being ablt to use it vertically or horizontally!

Damn sony and their continuous effort to update their technology. The problem is, where does it leave me, with no money to evolve?

23. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Upgrade with new technology by all means if it becomes available.....all this thing is is an HD3 with the bugs removed and a more Ipoddy square look, twisting display new agreed nothing else is.

24. robpok

robpok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are people going on about the HD5?! It now looks more and more like the Ipod (in its vertical position) meaning that it has lost any of the Sony individuality and now looks like everyother Ipod clone out there (which is basically any other mp3 player on the market). Battery life is increased by 10hrs, and it STILL 'just' has 20gb of space, something which I thought Sony would have increased ASAP on the next player coming out.

The only think which is different is the aesthetics, and have people lost their minds here or something...you buy an mp3 player to LISTEN to MUSIC, not to look at the bloody thing, it sits in your pocket the whole time anyway! And this "rotating screen" function?! Well damn, everytime I take my HD3 out of my pocket I always think to myself "I wish I didn't have waste all that energy in rotating it so to get it the right way up everytime"...ughhhh

:(

25. combustion

combustion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    he's on planet mac-fanboy.

26. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Right you Sony fans show me one good review of the Sony in any of the trade magazines.
    You will struggle to find one atrac is seen as one of the worst sounding files out there compared to MP3, Windows Media, Apple Loseless and AAC.
    This months What HIFI compares all formats and the only ones to get a 5 rating were loseless and aac.

One more thing the majority of threads on here are from Sony owners having problems. There are hardly any from I-Pod owners probably due to their owners being happy with them and not having any problems with the software.

I have nothing against Sony as I do own some sony products but I didnt like the sound from this divice or its looks and most of its competitors sounded better to my ears.

27. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

I dont care what the reviewers, working in their cushy desk jobs for magazines, write.

You say "atrac is seen as one of the worst sounding files out there compared to MP3, Windows Media, Apple Loseless and AAC". Seen in whose eyes? It comes down to personal opinion mate, and in MY PERSONAL OPINION Atrac3 sounds better than all of those, other than apple lossless. But then that is pointless. You would be lucky to fit more than 25 albums on an ipod in apple lossless, and when you are limited to that you may as well just use a portable Cd player, which would have a better battery life and still sound better. Anyway it really isn't fair to compare Apple Lossless with other formats because it is a "lossless" format.

Admittedly, there are more Sony owners complaining than iPod owners. But Don't forget ipod have been making mp3 players for a few years now, so they have developed the iPod up to what it is. If you thrust a 1st Gen iPod towards somebody, I'm sure they would have some complaints to make! I expect the HD5 will have addressed many of the problems of the HD1/3.

28. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    I don't think you should take too much notice of what the reviewers are saying ! Although I do have an iPod, I still listen to a lot of my old minidiscs as they sound so good.

29. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Wow that looks sweet!!!!!! Does anyone know whether it will come with a FM-tuner?

40-hour battery life, seriously impressive, and removable too! :eek:

I've bought an iPod photo for my sister (whose birthday is on the 19th April) so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but I think this is something I would seriously consider getting. The only thing is that it hasn't got a colour display, but with that kind of battery life I'm sure I could live without it! ;)

30. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No mention of the FM Tuner, but what would be really awesome would be if they included DAB digital radio in it like on the Sony XDR-M1 DAB FM Walkman. That would be a first. Perhaps on the NW-HD9.

Wondering if the battery will be of the same form factor as in the HD1/3? We might (long shot) be able to upgrade our existing batteries. THAT would be good.