1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony KV32CS70 + Freeview picture sizing?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by macta, Oct 1, 2004.

1. macta

macta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - there, finally took took the plunge and bought a widescreen sony TV (my old 20" philips just kept going).

After reading all of the helpful tips on this forum, I went for the sony KV32CS70 for its good reviews and reasonable price.

I'm new to wide-screen tv's, so am still working out how to use it - but am a bit confused by the way the TV works with my sony DT800 freeview reciever.

When I switch through channels with the freeview remote, BBC1 is widescreen, 2, ITV, 4 - but then Channel 5 goes to 4:3 and then the next channel is widescreen and then some of the others go back to 4:3?

Is this normal? I have set the freeview box to use 4:16 sizing (not 4:3 like with my old tv) and have set the output to PAL (considered auto?)

The TV itself I have set to WideScreen sizing (have tried Smart) - but channel 5 keeps going back to the smaller size and I have to use the remote to make it become full screen again? If I don't use freeview input but just the arial pass through - the TV doesn't exhibit this behavior?

Is this normal behavior - as I find it very annoying?

I also notice that when moving between channels it also takes a long time to show the full image - I don't recall my old TV having such a long delay with the same freeview box (is the image sizing logic slowing things down? ).

When I've got things tweeked - I'll post my perceptions of the TV, I just want to make sure I've got it all set up correctly first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't tried my DVD yet to see if I get a green tinge, and I do notice that I seem to have a remote control that doesn't have the device selector buttons shown in the manual (when I set language - if I pick English I have to pick country of Ireland as there is no UK listed).

Tim

2. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    My Panny IDTV occasionally shows Five in 4:3 for a few seconds before it changes to widescreen. Never quite worked out why. Maybe the two problems are related.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    Do bear in mind that (as with DVDs) a broadcast can be made EITHER 4x3 or 16x9 - at the choice of the broadcaster. So it's quite plausible that, at any given time, some output from some channels will be 4x3. When it is, the only correct shape to watch it is........4x3. Other modes (which may fill the screen better) inevitably have to either distort, stretch or crop the 4x3 image.

You should find, generally, that:

Most or all of BBC1, 2, News24 is 16x9.
    Much of ITV 1 is 16x9.
    All of $ky travel, news, sports news, the 2 music channels, are 4x3.

Any of them can vary depending on the programme. 5 seems to have a predisposition towards 4x3.

4. JoeyL

JoeyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,
    it sounds like you got an Irish-Spec TV (like mine). For some reason, the Irish version of this set does not have a remote control which allows you to use it on your DVD / video, etc. Don't know why. The irish spec model number is KV32CS70B, whereas the UK version does not have the "B" at the end I think...

5. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

It depends on what your settings are on your tv. If you have it set so that the tv auto-sences the aspect ration of the received signal then thats what it will do.
    In your setup, turn off auto format and make sure you have widescreen selected.

That should sort it.

Mel.

6. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    The remote will not have any effect on the auto switching. As Nigel says, at any point at any time, a broadcaster can send the signal in 4:3 or 16:9. Channel 4 in the daytime can quite often have 16:9 programmes with 4:3 adverts inbetween.

7. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the auto-resize setting in the TV menu, think it's under Detail Adjustment. Follow Mel's advice above. One the auto-format thing is off, it'll stay where you put it ;)

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    C5 quite often broadcast a 16x9 signal with pillar boxed 4x3 in the middle

9. JohnW14

JohnW14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it just my television (Tosh 28ZT29B) or has The Hits (channel 18) now started broadcasting a 14:9 signal (rather than the former 4:3) which results in the top and bottom being cut off?

It's somewhat irritating to have to re-size this channel manually to see the list of tunes.

10. macta

macta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all of your replies... I made the relevant adjustments and now my screen doesn't keep resizing (I find the SMART setting works well - things look less elongatedon channels that don't truly support wide).

The instruction manual that comes with the TV is pretty poor (all my other Sony products have had much better manuals).

I'm enjoying my new screen however - I needed a bit of patience to fine tune the personal settings (I ordered a test DVD on a whim to set it up properly - but havne't tried it yet), but now it really looks great.

Its a shame that I have the irish version of the set and so don't have the better remote control - but then the set only cost £599 (digitial-point.co.uk) and I have a marantz learning remote control (which easily learned the tv codes and it much more flexible anyway).

The sound coming from the set is also a big suprise. I have a home cinema dvd system with an optical connection from my sony freeview - but if I just use the regular TV speakers I was suprised how a ticking clock on an ITV2 program sounded very realistic.

Tim