New Sony KV-32FQ86

T

TerryWM

I am reluctantly letting my 14 year old Sony 25" KVA set die and have seen various problems with new sets reported here.

I would like a 32" widescreen and was shown an impressive Sony KV-32FQ86 at a local dealer for 1K. It seemed to have less flicker with scrolling titles and less red colour bleed than others even the DX200 but I think it is so new there are no reviews. I worry a little about the FQ70 problems and am a little hesitant to buy the set without any info.

If any one has seen a review or bought this set I would like to hear what they think.

Terry

I saw a review in a mag while browsing in WH Smiths today, it got 5* and was highly praised in all departments, sorry can't remember which mag, but its on the shelves at the moment. This model is the replacement for the FQ70.

I havent seen it in a mag review yet...although I have been looking!

I did see it in the local Sony Centre t'other day though...the picture reminded me off Pixel Plus actually..looked like it suffered from the halo effect!

Many thanks for the help.

As our old set died we went ahead and ordered the 32FQ86 before I got your comments. The set itself looked good and many nice to have features BUT yes, you were right about the digital problems AWFUL!! - we lived with it from the Saturday am it was delivered until the Monday 9.00am when I went in and asked them to take it back.

Luckily we had bought it from a helpful local dealer who came out within 30 minutes and agreed the problems but said most new Sony sets have them now! (How Sony expect to sell sets in future I have no idea.)

After getting the store to set up SKY with various sets in-store (including a Panny PD30 with similar problems it would seem) I chose the best of a bad lot really but am reasonably happy with an end of line? 32FX68. Slight colour washing on camera panning but not too obvious. Some flicker too but OK.
(I wondered if it might be worth hanging on for the newer version but seems this will likely have all the Advanced Digital Motion etc.)

We now have a combined Sony VCR/DVD thrown in so not too unhappy but can't seem to get the right code to control the VCR/DVD thru the TV remote. ( I will try the correct forum for this.)

Hopefully if it all gives good service the digital problems will be a thing of the past by the time I have to choose a new one again!

regards again

After months of searching for a new TV to replace my old 21" Sony, I got impatient and got a 36FQ86 last saturday.

I agree the digital processing is not everyone's cup of tea. At least this set gives you two options: the new Advanced Digital Motion and the old Digital Plus.

I haven't decided yet which one I prefer. ADM should be "better" but movies look like they were shot on video! As for the artifacts: 99% of the time does well whatever it's supposed to do, but sometimes if fails miserably (specially on fast pans). As scrapbook said, it looks very similar to Philips' Pixel Plus.

I'm not sure about the 32FX68, but all 100 Hz sets I've seen have some sort of artifact due to image processing. On the other hand, after one day of using the FQ86, when I went back to my old 50 Hz TV I found the flicker unbearable! So...

Carlos

I've decided I can live with the processing artifacts. But please see this other post about a problem with RGB inputs that is really annoying me.

Carlos

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom