New Sony KP44PX2 is out - should I get the insurance

W

Westy

Hi All,

Firstly thanks for answering previous question on this TV.

Im about to purchase the new Sony KP44PX2 with Empire Direct as they sell it the cheapest but they have offered me insurance for 3 years for £139. Normally I don’t bother with any electrical goods but as this is a lot of TV I was wondering whether it would be worth it?

Appreciate your views.

Cheers,

Westy.
:D

sony's site hasn't yet the tv and its technical features. are you sure it's out? in germany it is.

yep because I ordered it a couple of hours ago and they are in stock :)

Your right its not on sony's site but if you look through empires site you will find details of it there.

I await delivery, didnt go for the insurance in the end hopefully it will be the right decision in the long term

i'm anxious to read your review about your set!
don't forget to post here your thoughts when you receive it!

Westy, ditto mutleys comments as this is on my shortlist.
Also, make use of empire directs lowest price guarantee, prcdirect is £1598.99, rgbdirect £1599.99, £70 saving, buy you a couple of scart leads.

Tv was 1620 and delivery cost was 65. Reduced the total bill down to 1655 in the end :blush: wanted to use Empire as they are flippin' huge...

Westy, i did'nt mean buy it from either of those, contact empire direct and they will refund you 120% of the difference. its in their terms and conditions. be quick cos you only have 7 days. the tv also has to be in stock.

it says 'DUE SOON' at the moment?!?!?

Graham, I think I owe you a beer, Empire have just given me back £ 81.67 through their price promise :D

But, the site says they are NOT in stock!, i want one NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

its called a telephone, call empire and dont forget to quote the PRCdirect price which is 1549.99 + 49.99 delivery ;)

Originally posted by mutley
sony's site hasn't yet the tv and its technical features. are you sure it's out? in germany it is.

KP44PS2

Features:

108cm Rear Projection visible screen (44")
Ultimate Home Theatre with DRC-MF
Digital Convergence
Auto Convergence
Dynamic PAP (Picture & Picture)/PAT (Picture & Text) Channel Index
AR Coating and High Contrast Screen
DCF (Digital Comb Filter)
Multi Standard (PAL & SECAM)
2-way 4-speaker system
Fastext
Smartlink
16:9 mode
3 x SCART sockets
1 x front AV input
1 x front S Video
Audio out
Side cabinets optional
DRC-MF picture (100Hz)

that's 44ps2! we're talking about 44PX2!!!!!!

and that are the features not technical data!

Isnt the only difference that the px2 has not got DRC. I heard though that DRC is what causes the scrolling bars. MAybe thats why the PX2 aint got it
shaun

it hasn't drc but it's 100hz (problably you're wright, drc was causing troubles).
it has 2 rgb scarts out of three.
the looks has changed (both beautifull)

technical data asn't yet been realised so not sure about other things!

Originally posted by mutley
it hasn't drc but it's 100hz (problably you're wright, drc was causing troubles).
it has 2 rgb scarts out of three.
the looks has changed (both beautifull)

technical data asn't yet been realised so not sure about other things!

What the hell is 'digital quick focus'???

Sony KP44PX2U
108cm Widescreen Rear Projection - 100Hz Digital PLUS - Virtual Dolby

• 108cm Widescreen
• 100Hz Digital PLUS
• Virtual Dolby + BBE
• Remote Control
• Hi Contrast Screen
• Digital Comb Filter
• Anti-Reflective Coating
• Picture Freeze
• Smart Zoom/4:3/Wide/14:9 Modes
• Auto Tuning
• 3 x SCART inc 2 x RGB
• Front AV
• Sleep Timer
• Smart Link
• Digital Quick Focus

TV arrived this morning :D

Heres the very big box:

Dscf0002.jpg

And here she is naked:

Dscf0008.jpg

Once we had worked out to press the hidden button down the right hand side that centers the screen it was running a treat. The usual fun of trying to get a VCR to record through it and on configuring the channels was no different from other TV's

Im very pleased with the purchase now to sink some beers and enjoy it!

Cheers all for your posts on here

Westy.

WESTY,

I am thinking of getting this tv. Are you pleased with the picture etc. Also, has it got the scrolling bars????

cheers matey

Hi m8 saw yer tv looks the dogs, I'm looking to buy one but I don't know if it'll fit into the space I have in my house.

have you got the dimensions of the thing because theres nothing posted on any of the websites.

I have the basic dims i.e 1100 x 1160 x 536. ( W x H x D )
but I noticed from your pics that it looks like after the main front of the screen the side sort of curves back which would make the widht dimension less that 1100 ?

also what was empires service like ? and big question where would you put your dvd ,ps2,settop box etc are there any shelf spaces or stands you can get ???

cheers

westy, the set looks great :) , can't wait to try one out.
if you can prise yourself away, can you do a quick review on the picture side of things.
a couple of things, dvd with ntsc and football with 100 hz, any nasties ?

cheers.

Hi All,

Picture quality is excellent especially on DVD's and during my brief experiment of watching the footy I didn’t notice any problems with it. There is a slight blur when the camera is moving around very quickly so the entire screen is changing but nothing that’s concerning me. Watching the new shrek DVD revealed awesome picture quality, definitely one to show it off!

Once we worked out that we had to press the button in the hidden compartment on the side of the TV the screen size and focus was sorted. Up until that point it was sloping off one side, but after doing that it calibrated itself and is fine now.

The screen goes very dark if you’re anything than eye level with it and the viewing from angle is good up until about 45/50 degrees

I can’t see any black scrolling lines on it anywhere though?

The different picture sizes are also very good. Never owned one of these before so cant comment on the difference from <100 and 100 MHz boxes, sorry

If you read through what happened your see that I saved quite a bit thanks to a comment on a price promise on here. In total I paid £1695.33 INCLUDING a Sony SLVSE720 video recorder VAT and delivery (old set was a combo). In that respect Empire were good by honouring the price promise and the sales men on the phone were reasonably helpful apart from the typical not returning calls which is the norm' for all call centres nowadays.

Empire will be tested again though as the manual that I got sent was in German only!

The user interface for the TV software is also worth of mention. Very easy to navigate and lots of picture setting stuff to tweak.

We are going to buy a cabinet to put all the other stuff on and put it beside the tele or if I spend some money get some long scart leads and put it all somewhere else in the room. Not sure if they do a stand for this but if they did I wouldn’t take it as if you’re at the wrong height watching it the picture goes very dark.

The combo remote control is also worth a mention very easy to use as it’s nicely arranged.

I’m very pleased with this TV and would recommend it.

I have enclosed some more piccies and two with the measurements asked for….

Cheers,

Westy.

measure1.jpg

measure2.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?