1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony IDTV loosing favorite channel list. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Breeza, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

Just got a shiny new Sony 28DL11 IDTV.

I can setup a list of favorite digital channels which it stores OK and if I turn the set off/on they are still all there.

But twice now after a period of a day or so I press the favorite button and it comes up with a prompt saying no favorites are set up. Its lost the settings completely.

It does keep all the other setup info such as RGB centering and personal picture settings.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Breeza

2. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Could it be that the TV is downloading firmware updates and this process blanks out the favorite channels?

I have now taken a note of the software version so I can check the next time the channels go missing. v2.2.101

3. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No, its lost them again and there has not been a software update.

Anybody got a clue?

4. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Breeza

I've also got a Sony KD-28DL11 IDTV, which i've had now for just over 2 weeks.

I have also noticed the same problem with losing the favourites too. I've checked my software Version which is also v2.2.101. I rang Sony today and reported the problem (along with a problem of the whites bleeding/smearing occasionaly). I was told that I should expect a call back within a couple of days (lets hope with a fix).

Will keep you posted with any progress.

5. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Sony do seem to have a problem with their products forgetting settings. My Sony mini hi-fi forgets all the radio stations I've tuned in every now and again.

6. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  7. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hmmm,

I reported the problem to the JL service department. An engineer called me the same day and I explained the problem. I suggested they call Sony to see if this is a known problem and to call me back.

Sony did not have this logged as a known issue and so the engineer advised me to get a replacement set from JL.

Current status: Awaiting stock for a replacement.

Think I may call Sony myself to report the issue and see what they say. . .

I also have an annoying bend in the top left hand corner that cannot be corrected in the service menu.

Does anybody have a DL11 with good geometry?

8. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have spoken directly to Sony who say they are aware of the problem and that a download was/should be available to resolve it. They could not give me any more details and said I should contact the DTG. I have sent them an email this morning.

The other fix for this apparently is to turn off the "Auto Service Update" option in the technical setup menu.

9. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yes I was going to suggest that but I thought it pointless as I'd want the latest software. Anyhow and software download related problems will probably quit by the end of the week once your telly is updated, probably just wait a little longer.

When you say Sony are aware of the problem are you talking about your favourites list thingy or the bend in the top of your screen. It is unlikely the software will correct the bend. However wait and see.

Hope it works out.

Simon

10. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still have not received a call back from Sony yet, but I have checked on the DTG website to see what dowloads are currently playing. At present there is a Sony download playing but according to the details it is only for Model No's DX40, DX100 & NX100 Version 3.21 :( .Please let me know what the DTG come back with :thumbsup:

I also have the slight bend in the top left hand corner although I havent had chance yet to fiddle in the service menu to see if it can be corrected. I will let you know if I have any luck.

11. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have successfully managed to get rid of the bend in the top left hand corner, by adjusting the V-BOW (34 to 32) and H-Centre (29 to 28) values which are located in the Geometry menu. :D

Hope this helps.

12. jamieslaptop

jamieslaptop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi iv got the same model tv with the same line like you said. Just wondering onecell how do you actually get into the geometry menu? Thanks in advance, Jamie. :) :)

13. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jamie,

Starting with the TV in Stand By

On your remote press:-
    i+ then 5 then VOL+ then [] (The final one is the Digital button)

The set should now come on in the Service Mode. (should see green text on the screen)

Press Menu

Go to the Geometry menu using the down arrow and then press the right arrow to select.

Again use the up and down arrow to go to a setting and select it using the right arrow, then use the up and down arrow to adjust the value. I should just piont out that before adjusting any settings in the service mode it is a good idea to make a note of the original values as you can really screw up your TV if your not careful.

When you have finished your adjustments press Menu and then turn the TV off to exit the Service Mode. Good Luck with your tweaking.

Just one quick question Jamie, does your set also lose the favourites?

Thanks
    Steve

14. jamieslaptop

jamieslaptop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, thanks so much for your advice, yes my set also loses the favourites i just find it easier to delete the channels that i dont use all toghether.What settings did u alter then? Thanks, jamie.

15. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jamie,

I found that by adjusting the V-BOW setting from 34 to 32 it reduced the bow but it was still slightly visible. So I then adjusted H-Centre from 29 to 28 to just move the picture to the left slightly and therefore hide the Bow. You may have to tweak these figures to get a picture you are happy with. Dont forget to make a note of the original settings in case things go a little pear shaped ;-)

Steve

Steve

16. jamieslaptop

jamieslaptop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, i know its a bit of work but id be really greatful if you could do this for me, bu could you please make a note of all the settings in the geometry menu that you have got so i can try these on my set. Thanks in advance, Jamie.

17. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jamie,
    Sorry for the delay, but here goes:-

V-Linearity 31
    V-Scroll 32
    Left-HBlk 12
    Right-HBlk 0
    V-Angle 37
    V-Bow 32
    H-Centre 28
    H-Size 51
    Pin-Amp 30
    U-Corner-Pin 8
    L-Corner-Pin 11
    Pin Phase 31
    V-Slope 38
    V-Size 30
    S-Correction 12
    V-Centre 31
    V-Zoom 25
    Magneta 50
    DY-Tilt 31

Hope this helps

18. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    did you fix the white smearing issue? also does the set Buzz? (the annoying buzz that plagued Sony's a while ago?!
    currently got one in my basket on currys web site! cheers

19. jamieslaptop

jamieslaptop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi thanks so much for the info, just a quick question finally! how do you save the settings on the service menu, because when i press the menu key it reverts back to the ones before i changed it. Thanks again, Jamie

20. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stinky,
    Yes I was able to fix the white smearing problem. To be honest it was only really noticable when there was white on a very dark backdrop, such as the titles at the end of a movie. In the end it was a simply a case of playing around with the Brightness / Contrast / Colour and Sharpness settings to get a picture I was happy with. Personally I found the preset picture settings very harsh with far too much contrast. Now my contrast is set to approximately 25% and this seems much better.

Regarding your last question I can honestly say that I have not noticed any buzzing coming from my set at all. Hope this helps.

Jamie, I also had a little difficulty in getting the H-Centre to save the new setting. What I had to do in the end was actually over-adjust the value and for some strange reason the value would jump back a bit. For example when I adjusted H-Centre from 29 to 28 I had to reduce the value to 26 to get 28 to be saved when I left the menu. Weird I know but it worked for me. Good Luck

21. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Jamie did u use the setting that one-cell has on his set if so did they work