New SONY HDD 900 hasn't a playlist

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by EN, Oct 4, 2004.

1. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got one and it is not possible to make playlist on the HDD recording, only on DVD-RW VR.
    Sorry,
    only A-B cut off.
    But the menus and graphics are unbelievable.

2. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I sent one back because of the lack of playlists on HDD and, perhaps more annoyingly, the fact it has no flexible record. Also, the cooling fan on the machine I had was quite noisy and at times and for no apparent reason it increased to a rediculous level until it was switched off.

I've got to say the picture and build quality were superb.

PS. Don't buy any Bulkpaq orange DVD-R's, they didn't work in the machine I had. Datawrite greys worked well.

3. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, right. I wrote about it here:

" Sony RDR-HX900 HDD.Did Sony make a stupid mistake ?! "
    by ernet 17-09-2004 10:51 AM

My statement has NOT changed at all. Shame on Sony.

Ps. Sorry i don't know how to insert the link to my post.

4. eednig

eednig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also considering to buy the Sony. Actually its between the Toshiba and the Sony. From editing point of view there is no comparison between the two, however, my requirements are the inputs and Sony has what I need from that point of view. Just a question on the Sony. When you perform A-B erase how precise is it? and are you able to watch the video while you are doing this?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    If you edit on the HDD or DVD-RW VR Mode then it is precise but has a slight pause at the edit point - this can be smoothed out by re-encoding (i.e. record in HQ+ and then dub to SP). If you edit on DVD+RW the cut point defaults to the nearest compatible point so it may jump a second or so in either direction.

Do you not find this sufficient? Having been an owner of successive Panasonic DVDRs and the Sony GX3 I have found Playlists to be very useful for music. But still most of my programme editting is still done destructively, i.e. A-B edit or Partial Erase, and thus the omission of Playlists doesn't seem overly important. I'd be interested in your views on this EN and Ernet.

6. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it depends. And yes you're right the Playlist is useful for music but not only. I use this function to record DV-R in order I chose ;
    - music clips
    - recorded ( in HDD ) family movies ( from DV Comcorder ). You know there are usually short movies on the one tape from different recorded time. But if you e.g. record ( DV ) some scenes on the beach you could replace them as you want to get the the best result.
    - I also record short cartoon movies ( e.g. Teletoobies ) for my son and i also want to have them in the chosen order to burn them on DV-R.

Anyway there are only some reasons i can NOT even imagine to get DVD/HDD Recorder w/o Playlist.

And yes I do respect anyone's point of view in this case.

7. eednig

eednig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the Sony, while you identify Points A and B I assume that are able to view the associated video at the sametime. Is this correct?

8. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, choosing A-B points during video playing.
    Rasczak,
    I use JVC HDD 4 for making a playlist for music videos.
    The problem with SONY is that (as far as I know) you can't make link between different titles recorded on HDD, so I can't make compilation from randomly recorded videos in week time.
    Because I have JVC it is not problem for me. And the edited oint on JVC are perfect (frame accurate) because of the DV recording mode.
    I'll use SONY as a jubox or the record films and TV programs I am unable to watch.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    EN and Ernet - cheers for your comments. I can see why you both need Playlists and appreciate it must be frustrating that the Sony models don't have this on the HDD.

10. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak- cheers for you as well.

BTW; I realize I commented the Sony " issue " a bit to hard but I almost bought this Recorder and I was so disappointed of missing PL.And except of it I like it very, very much.
    Moreover I bet the next model will have PL for sure. Being the owner of many A/V and Digital Photo units I noticed that Sony does its lessons very good and hear its products' users very carfully.

11. omar_g

omar_g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gents, unless i'm missing the something, the feature you want is described on page 75 of the manual. You can select items in any order to dump from HDD to disc or vice versa.

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Your missing something ;) It's a question of non-destructive editting.

13. omar_g

omar_g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by that?

14. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Omar G,
    on 75 page you can dub numbers of titles, but you can't take a piece from Title 1 and another piece from Title 5 and so on. Randomly...

15. omar_g

omar_g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about dubbing to disc, then doing a simple A-B edit? Isn't it the same thing? The method may be different but the end result and the amount of time required are the same?

Which recorders do have the feature you're after?

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Not really because then you either use DVD-RW VR mode (incompatible with other DVD players) or DVD+RW (which doesn't allow you to edit accurately). All other major HDD/DVDRs have this feature (Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, Toshiba). The Sony doesn't allow this because of it's excellent 2pass re-encoding system.