1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony HD Player - iPod Killer?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by gilesm, Jul 1, 2004.

1. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sony have just announced their new iPod challenger, the Network Walkman NW-HD1. It says in the press release it uses advanced compression technology to store upto 13,000 on a 20Gb drive, it also has a slated 30 hour battery life. From the pictures on the web it looks a lot smaller than the iPod too. They've coincided the launch with the 25th anniversary of the original walkman.

Full story is here: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040701/80/ex2jf.html

Can't wait to hear one in the flesh, although I doubt it'll be an iPod killer, just another HD player in a very crowded market

2. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Sony would do better if they made the player compatible with other formats and services. As for the compression technology, I'd be surprised if they can maintain sound quality despite using smaller file sizes than AAC/MP3/WMA.

3. squallleonh

squallleonh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The iPod will grind it to dust like all the rest... Sony would stand a chance at taking a chunk out of the ipod if they supported mp3 as well as their format.

4. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, if Sony's device could play MP3, then the iPod would have some competition.

But ATRAC3 compressed at 48kbps? Pleeeeaaaase.

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they supply software that converts mp3 to the atrac format which I've found works better. I did get hold of some detailed info on this and the bitrate is selectable so you can use up to 256KB/s and still get a huge number of songs on.

6. squallleonh

squallleonh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aac and ipod all the way for me