• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Sony HD HDR-HC3E

n0bby

Established Member
Just spotted this on the 'Idiot Toys' site. Apologies if it's already been discussed, but I did do a search first!

Link: New Sony HD HDR-HC3E

"The HC3E is the latest model following on to the HDR-HC1 digital high definition Handycam which was released in July 2005, along with the growing popularity of high definition televisions. With great improvements including higher image quality, being smaller, more lightweight and easier to use, this HDV camcorder will fully satisfy all users, from beginners through to experienced amateurs."

Sorry for the link to one of the less 'techie' websites, but I prefer to have a laugh while getting up-to-date techno-info!

The official press release for the new cam is here:
http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/6512

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
And for those without a sense of humor, the link to the official Sony press release: :)

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/6512

Note the $1700 US list price is $300 less than the $2000 HC1. A good UK street price on the HC1 is in the £1000-£1100 range... so maybe the HC3 will be something like £200 less....

HC3 has some advantages over the HC1 (not bottom loading, slightly better low light rating, better LCD, smaller). But it lacks an external mic input, it also doesn't have the manual focus/zoom ring the HC1 has.

(Edit: Sorry, didn't notice n0bby already posted that link too).

Mark

Gordon Briggs

Established Member
Just looked at the pictures on the Sony site, doesn't look anything like as good as the HC1, more like a point and shoot job, not having a mike input puts it way out of the frame (sorry) for me, no headphone out either!!, I'll suffer the bottom loading and choose the HC1 thank you very much.

Impressed with the HC1, but still can't decide who to give my business to.

Gordon.

PS. How much do you want for your wife Steve?

n0bby

Established Member
Gordon Briggs said:
Just looked at the pictures on the Sony site, doesn't look anything like as good as the HC1, more like a point and shoot job, not having a mike input puts it way out of the frame (sorry) for me, no headphone out either!!, I'll suffer the bottom loading and choose the HC1 thank you very much.
I quite agree - the lack of mic input is a particularly bad move. The only thing we can hope for is that because this is touted as the HC1's replacement, it'll mean better deals will be available on the HC1!

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
I've seen speculation (which makes some sense) that the HC1 was impacting sales of the professional A1 - i.e. that as the 2 cams were close in quality (sharing the same basic frame and lens) that professionals were buying the HC1, when Sony wants them to buy the A1. So they purposely didn't include items like a mic or headphone input on the HC3 - items which consumers might not worry about or notice, but which would put any professionals/prosumers off... and force them to the A1.

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom