1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New sony dcrtrv33. Where is it and what does it do?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by R.G, Apr 3, 2003.

1. R.G

R.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody shed some light on the spec for the new range of sony camcorders, particularly the DCR TRV 33.

I see the sony europe website has extensive spec for this model but the sony uk site does not. Are these likely to be exactly the same.

2. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    RG

I believe the spec for UK models will be exactly that shown on the Sony-Europe site. The Sony UK site has never been... shall we say... any good at all:p

Amazon.co.uk has it for £608 delivered.

I'm waiting to see one in the flesh to decide whether to get one or a DCR-PC8

Super7

3. R.G

R.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Super 7,

Even better prcdirect have the DCR TRV33 for £578.88.

Remember the PC8 has no memory stick slot for those handy stills and MPEG EX clips and its more expensive...........am I missing something here?

R.G

4. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    R.G. , Sony has just brought out these new models here in Austria and after taking first look I am quite dissapointed with them. (I was actually very keen to buy this particular one - TRV33, but now I'll have to think twice about it)
    They actually reduced the prices/options ratio but they also save on every corner now.
    No hard buttons anymore, you have to use remote for playback which is awfull if you're on site, cameras are not so ergonomical anymore, I am not quite sure about optics too etc etc. The options are not to complain about but I'd probably rather go for good old TRV25 on some stock.

Your choice!

5. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    R.G.

I can beat that (just!) - AJ Electronics has it for £575!

Take you point about the PC8, but I'm not sure how often I'd need the digital stills capability, as I already have a 'proper' digital camera.

My prefernce is still with the DCR-TRV33, but Miron's comments echo some comments I've heard elsewhere - the new range seems to be a little feature light.

Had a look round town / retail park yesterday afternoon, but still haven't seen the new range. I'm wondering whether to look at other brands now, but haven't really got a clue which modles in each range to consider. What other ones are you looking at?

Super7

6. JimM

JimM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm looking at getting my first camcorder and have been considering the Sony DCR-TRV33, the Panasonic NVGS50B or the Canon 600i. They are all roughly the same price (from letsgodigital) and seem to be pretty similar.

Anyone tried these models out yet ?

7. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Jim M,
    s I said I did.
    They are great value for money but the problem is if you used older models in the past. It is MUCH more complicated to use new models. And there are some doubts about their quality too.
    Your choice anyway

8. R.G

R.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Super 7,

I don't know anymore.

I may now be tending back towards my original choice of the PC101. I know its more expensive but by all accounts its its very good.

The problem is I need to get my hands on one of the TRV33 and see what its like.

R.G

9. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Just to add one more here.
    I had TRV33 a bit longer in the hand today . I compared it's recording capabilities to PC101 and it is at least as good as PC101 but it is real pain to use. No buttons (the worst idea Sony ever got), only that small touchscreen with touch fields for three year olds. And I had strange feeling that PC101's picture stabilization works better.
    Otherwise it could be called okay-camcorder. So if you're interested go and try it. You'll probably end with PC101, TRV25 or some other older model :)

10. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Miron

Many thanks for the update. I'm getting to like the '33' a little bit less every day...

I still like the PC8, but what else (from other manufacturers) should I look at. From a purely aesthetic point of view I like the little Panasonics (can't think of the model), but what other suggestions does anyone have?

Super7

11. R.G

R.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit the bullet and bought a PC101.
    :smashin:

12. AAA

AAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy the good old Sony models like PC9,120,...

The Best Quality!!!